PDA

View Full Version : Clingmon Dome

Potter's Sister
03-30-2009, 12:51
My son will be meeting my brother to hike Clingmon Dome, can anyone point me in the right direction for information about where I can put him out to catch the trail a bit before Clingmon?

Thanks

Lone Wolf
03-30-2009, 12:59
there'a parking lot .5 from Clingmans Dome with a nice paved walkway to it

sheepdog
03-30-2009, 13:05
If you want to hike the trail park at Newfound Gap and Hike south about 3 and 1/2 miles.

Corrected 7.9 miles, thanks LW

Lone Wolf
03-30-2009, 13:07
If you want to hike the trail park at Newfound Gap and Hike south about 3 and 1/2 miles.

7.9 miles

sliderule
03-30-2009, 13:11
My son will be meeting my brother to hike Clingmon Dome, can anyone point me in the right direction for information about where I can put him out to catch the trail a bit before Clingmon?

Thanks

Perhaps you could more precisely define "before" and "a bit."

sheepdog
03-30-2009, 13:11
7.9 miles
yeah. I was looking for my map. couldn't remember exactly

Blissful
03-30-2009, 13:13
there'a parking lot .5 from Clingmans Dome with a nice paved walkway to it

The road may not be open yet if it's now. Pobably would have to hike from Newfound Gap.

Bearpaw
03-30-2009, 16:44
The road may not be open yet if it's now. Pobably would have to hike from Newfound Gap.

The road from Newfound Gap to Clingman's Dome parking lot opens April 1 each year.

Doctari
03-30-2009, 20:45
For a NOBO, "Before Clingman's Dome" with road access is Fontana Dam. There are a few side trails that lead UP to the AT from the TN or NC side, depends on how much your hiker wants to hike.
Operative word here is "UP"

If you want to meet at the dome, as stated above there is a paved 1/2 mile trail from the parking lot. OR: a "Bypass" trail that meets up with the AT about 1/2 to 1 mile south of Clingman's Dome. From what I have seen at both ends of the bypass, it's heavily used, so shouldn't be hard to find.

NOTE: for the 1/2 mile paved "trail"; allow more time than you would think to hike it, it is rather steep. Also: allow for a climb of the tower at the top for the views if it isn't foggy. It rarely isn't foggy up there. (once in 8 visits for me)

Ox97GaMe
03-30-2009, 21:29
If your hiker is willing to hike 5-6 miles before meeting up, then you they can hike out of Elkmont or Tremont up to the AT to either Derrick Knob Shelter or Siler Bald Shelter. As was stated, it will be mostly uphill, but would give the opportunity for them to meet up at a shelter for the night, then hike over to Clingman's Dome the next day together. The starting point can be determined by the following factors:
a) which shelters your brother plans to stay at
b) whether it will be easier for you to get to Gatlinburg or Townsend TN.

Doctari
03-31-2009, 11:32
If your hiker is willing to hike 5-6 miles before meeting up, then you they can hike out of Elkmont or Tremont up to the AT to either Derrick Knob Shelter or Siler Bald Shelter. As was stated, it will be mostly uphill, but would give the opportunity for them to meet up at a shelter for the night, then hike over to Clingman's Dome the next day together. The starting point can be determined by the following factors:
a) which shelters your brother plans to stay at
b) whether it will be easier for you to get to Gatlinburg or Townsend TN.

Yep, ample parking in Elkmont. It's a nice hike up to the at from there, with only the last 2 miles or so being really steep.
From Treemont it would be closer, but I can't remember if you can long term park at the trailhead, havn't been there in about 10 years. I remember the trail being closer to level than the ones from Elkmont.