PDA

View Full Version : Waterproofing my "waterproof" boots?

I have a pair of Merrell "Pulse" lightweight hiking boots. Being lined inside with goretex, they are supposed to be waterproof. Well, they did seem to be waterproof for while, but now having worn them regularly for almost a year, they are no longer waterproof. I was out in the rain all day yesterday working, stood in some shallow puddles and the water soaked right through.

I read somewhere that this happens when the gortex liner begins to wear thin. No surprise really, I never expected them to actually be, or stay, waterproof.

I love these boots, they are in great shape and I do not want (nor can afford) new boots right now.

So, now what? I have a bottle of "ReviveX" leather gel water repellant for boots that I got as a freebie at Trail Days. Also have some Nikwax as well as an old can of Mink Oil kicking around somewhere.

Wondering which product to use. Any suggestions?

Blister
03-30-2009, 14:07
Personally, I do not wear any gortex products on my feet anymore. Gortex may keep water from coming in, however it also keeps moisture from coming out or drying out which will be one of the biggest factors in blister prevention.

Personally, I do not wear any gortex products on my feet anymore. Gortex may keep water from coming in, however it also keeps moisture from coming out or drying out which will be one of the biggest factors in blister prevention.Yeah, I've never been a fan of goretex either. Seems like it either doesn't work, or it does what you said.

Any suggestions for treating my boots?

Valentine
03-30-2009, 14:47
I have treated my boots with Mink Oil as it is a natural waterproofer. Howerver it will not fix all leaks. Carry an extra pair of dry socks.

JaxHiker
03-30-2009, 14:56
Do you wear earplugs so you don't have to listen to the minks squealing when you squeeze them?

FlyPaper
03-30-2009, 15:16
REI sells something to treat Gortex and restore water resistance.

I got a couple of more years out of my boots that way. Sorry I forgot
the name, but I'm sure they can tell you at the store.

I have treated my boots with Mink Oil as it is a natural waterproofer. Howerver it will not fix all leaks. Carry an extra pair of dry socks.Thanks. I don't think they are "leaking" so much as water is just seeping in through the leather and seams. I had a pair actually "leak" once, when the uppers separated from the sole and there was an actual hole.

dloome
03-30-2009, 21:09
Very likely, after a year you've simply exceeded the effective life span of the waterproof membrane. You can try a hell of a lot of things and various products, but none are likely to be significantly effective at all, might make the problem worse, and will cost money.

I think your best options would be to:
-Consider the boots non-waterproof and use them as such.
-Replace them.
-Wear Gore-Tex or neoprene socks which will help keep your feet dry to some degree inside your now non-waterproof footwear.

LIhikers
03-30-2009, 22:10
There's no such thing as waterproof shoes.
Spend all day hiking in the rain and your feet will be wet by the end of the day.

mooseboy
06-19-2009, 15:10
There's no such thing as waterproof shoes.
Spend all day hiking in the rain and your feet will be wet by the end of the day.

Agreed. Everything I've tried (Waterproof Gore-Tex boots, gaiters, etc.) only slows down the seepage; nothing really seems to prevent it.

I hiked in a downpour yesterday, and it was the wet grasses, NOT the rain, that soaked my boots through within the first 1/2 hour of hiking. By the time I got to a bunch of overflowing streams and boggy sections that required me to submerge my feet to the ankles, the insides were already soaked anyway so I didn't care.

I had re-coated the boots with waterproofer before the hike; didn't make a difference.

And yes, the Gore-Tex seems to keep the water IN, once it's in. After a 3-hour trip home, when I finally got the boots off, there were still little standing puddles of water in both heels. It hadn't been absorbed, but just sloshed around in there. :rolleyes:

Survivor Dave
06-19-2009, 15:28
The way it was explained to me is that the cow already came waterproofed from the "manufacturer" and needed no further waterproofing. A little Mink Oil is good every once in a while to keep them from drying and splitting.