PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Crowds

ATAlbatross
03-30-2009, 15:35
Hi, I was planning a mid-June start date from Harper's Ferry going North. I was just curious if I will be starting when a lot of thru hikers coming from Springer will be hitting the WV/Virginia/Maryland areas?

johnnybgood
03-30-2009, 16:00
Yep , Sounds about right .

Peaks
03-30-2009, 16:40
I'd guess that the majority of thru-hikers pass through Harpers Ferry between mid-June and Mid-July. (Or at least what's left of them. I think the about 60% have dropped out by Harpers Ferry.)

Blissful
03-30-2009, 20:07
Yep, right at peak. But they tend to spread out after Harpers Ferry as many take days off, etc.

Darwin again
03-31-2009, 19:52
You should have no problem with crowds. That's fast trail and many thrus tend to blow right past on that section.

It's a relatively flat and easy section, aside from a few erratic fields of rocks that don't last long, but are just hints of the longer stretches of rocks further up in Pa. June will be a good time to hike it.

ewj1976
04-01-2009, 06:36
I live in Harpers Ferry, and I can attest to the fact it is crowded. However, I hike often between PA and Shenandoah National Park on the AT and even throughout the summer, it's not THAT bad. Honestly, here and that time of the year, you're dealing with many more day hikers, people walking dogs (there are many convenient parking spots -- it's very common), casual walkers (a number of housing developments are near the trail in VA/WV approaching Harpers Ferry), etc.; many potential thru-hikers have left the trail by that time, so I'd just offer to you the assurance that here, warm weather translates into "busy", any time of the year.

Remember though, there are at least probably 5 or 6 shelters within 2 days hike of here, a number of camping spots, etc., so you'll be fine.