PDA

View Full Version : Fireplaces Inside Shelters

charlottebronte
05-30-2004, 23:10
Which shelters have fireplaces inside them? In other words, come winter, which shelters could one count on to get dry, warm, and sheltered all at the same time?

poison_ivy
05-30-2004, 23:20
The only one I can think of in southern New England (CT to VT) is Spruce Peak Shelter in Vermont. It has a wood burning stove inside and a sliding door, so it's more like a cabin. I can't attest to whether the stove actually works though since I stopped by in the summer.

- Ivy

steve hiker
05-30-2004, 23:50
Which shelters have fireplaces inside them? In other words, come winter, which shelters could one count on to get dry, warm, and sheltered all at the same time?
Most of the Smokies shelters have fireplaces.

Alligator
05-31-2004, 01:11
In Virginia, there are two shelters that were built on identical plans. The fireplace is on the back wall in the center of the shelter. There are two platforms to either side and I believe a top bunk to either side (not positive about top bunk). I was looking at my maps and I am guessing that one shelter is Pine Swamp Shelter and the other is the Trimpi Shelter. If not the Trimpi Shelter, then Raccoon Branch. On one winter hike I had what I think is the Pine Swamp Shelter all to myself. I hung my tarp over the front entrance and had a nice cozy warm shelter all to myself. I may be slightly off with the shelter names, like one shelter away, perhaps someone else could confirm. There's a plaque on one of these indicating that the other is built identically in layout. Sorry I am not positive about the names.

Jaybird
05-31-2004, 09:04

CB:

we ("the Model-T crew") were treated to a roaring fire in the fireplace @ the Cosby Knob Shelter (in the GSMNP)...even though it had been raining for the past 24 hours...our doubts were dashed when "GOGGLES"...built an excellent, fire...& kept us toasty all nite! :D

smokymtnsteve
05-31-2004, 09:54
Jerry Cabin has a nice fireplace

orangebug
06-01-2004, 10:04
I'm blocking on the name (Fingersomething?) :-? but a NY cabin just north of the Lemon Squeezer has two fireplaces. One helped me dry out before my final push for the Hudson River and Bear Mountain Bridge.

Bill...

Lone Wolf
06-01-2004, 10:06
Fingerboard Shelter

Tim Rich
06-01-2004, 13:31
In Virginia, there are two shelters that were built on identical plans. The fireplace is on the back wall in the center of the shelter. There are two platforms to either side and I believe a top bunk to either side (not positive about top bunk). I was looking at my maps and I am guessing that one shelter is Pine Swamp Shelter and the other is the Trimpi Shelter. If not the Trimpi Shelter, then Raccoon Branch. On one winter hike I had what I think is the Pine Swamp Shelter all to myself. I hung my tarp over the front entrance and had a nice cozy warm shelter all to myself. I may be slightly off with the shelter names, like one shelter away, perhaps someone else could confirm. There's a plaque on one of these indicating that the other is built identically in layout. Sorry I am not positive about the names.

They do have top bunks, and at least one of them is in the Damascus-Groseclose section. We stayed there in a November, I believe, and had a nice fire. I believe it was Pine Swamp.

flyfisher
06-01-2004, 14:24
In Virginia, there are two shelters that were built on identical plans. The fireplace is on the back wall in the center of the shelter. ... and the other is the Trimpi Shelter. If not the Trimpi Shelter, then Raccoon Branch.

Yep. Trimpi shelter is the place, one shelter north of Raccoon Branch, which is a plain little old shelter. I believe Trimpi is the shelter south of Partnership, though there could be one between that I am not remembering.