PDA

View Full Version : Need new 1-man tent under 3 lbs

I need a new tent. It must:

1) Weigh under 3 lbs. Under 2 lbs would be sweet!

2) Use my Leki sticks for poles

3) Have sides and attached floor

4) Have enough headroom for a small person (under 5'5") to be able to sit up in

5) Cost less than $300

The lighter the better.

My old Kelty "Clark" 1-man tent has been great, but it has finally almost worn out. It is also nearly 10 years old, so I sure got my money's worth. It also weighed nearly 4 lbs, so I am looking for something significantly lighter.

Due to some insect bite allergies, I need a tent with a floor and walls - not open to the critters. Want as small as possible but still be able to sit up inside it.

Willling to pay a premium price if neccessary but trying to be frugal if I can.

Any suggestions?

DanSea
03-30-2009, 20:03
*First person to say Henry Shires Tarptent*

I have a Contrail, love it.

Vadayhiker
03-30-2009, 20:09
I would consider buying the April 2009 Backpacker Magazine Gear Review Issue--they have a good section on solos. The model that uses a pole that got a decent review was the Tarptent Contrail. http://www.tarptent.com/contrail.html

They did say it was little tricky to set up.

The one that got the best all around was the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 1

And the best $$ deal was the MSR Skinny One

Vadayhiker
03-30-2009, 20:13
I have been looking for a solo for a while as my bivy is falling apart.

Just some additional stats

Contrail is listed a 1 lb 6 oz at $199

Big Agnes is 1lb 14 oz at $300

MSR Skinny One is 3lbs 3 oz at $200.

Good to see someone likes the Contrail

skinewmexico
03-30-2009, 20:16
Tarptent Sublite. SMD Lunar Solo. Those are my favorite companies that don't participate in the "good reviews for advertising" issue of Backpacker.

johnnybgood
03-30-2009, 20:20
Gossamer Gear : Shelter : The One is 16oz at $295

Franco
03-30-2009, 21:55
If you want to use your trekking pole, and why not, the Contrail,the Lunar Solo and the.. The One are the most obvious candidates.
They will all be a bit tricky to set up at first, however with a bit of practice the best of that lot is the one you like. (trust me on this one)
BTW, your height eliminates some of the advantages of one against the others.
Franco

Franco
03-30-2009, 21:58
Oh , if you prefer lighter and a smaller footprint than the Sublite (Tyvek for hot/dry areas or Silnylon for a 3+ season shelter) could also be a good choice. Very easy to set up.
Franco

LIhikers
03-30-2009, 22:15
Tarptent Rainbow http://www.tarptent.com/productsheets/RAINBOW.pdf

bigcranky
03-31-2009, 07:19
Rainbow or Double Rainbow. They don't use your trekking poles, but both are under 3 pounds. The DR is huge for a solo hiker.

Christus Cowboy
03-31-2009, 10:50
One consideration that you may want to think about is the Walrus Microswift tent..... They don't make these tents anymore after MSR bought them out but alot times they pop up on Ebay and you can get them at a relatively low cost and many of them are in close to new condition. I recently bought one for around $50.00..... They're small and lightweight (relatively speaking) I believe the one I bought for my daughter to use weighs about 2lb.s 14 ounces.....

slow
03-31-2009, 20:58
If you want a cave in and out... contrail.If your not a caveman and would also like MUCH more room the SMD SOLO.

Franco
03-31-2009, 22:01
Talk about slow, I just finally realised that Slow has a good sense of humour.
For those not familiar, Slow was refferring to the fact that he had to get the Lunar Duo, the single was too small for him.
BTW Slow, there is a chance for a Lunar Solo XL towards the end of the year, should be long enough for you but still a smaller footprint than the Duo.
Franco

slow
03-31-2009, 22:42
The real fact is this.

contrail L= 84 w=30
solo L=90 w=36

And soooo many retro fits to ....what one? Keep working on it.

Franco
03-31-2009, 23:53
As I mentioned in post 7 this is totally irrelevant to the OP, since Post is 5'5" and will fit inside those shelters, however Slow you do bring up a good point.
That is the difference between floor lenght and usable floor area.
Some of the following may illustrate the difference :

Dave T
i use a 6'6 sleeping bag, and i was pleasantly surprised at the amount of space inside the Contrail. no worries about getting it near the end of the tent (though it can touch the ceiling a bit more easily than in my old Squall 1).
Brett
I am 6'5' and use the Contrail just fine.
Craig
I'm 6'2" and use a 6'6" bag.
The Contrail is plenty roomy (I've even slept my 7 year old son in it with me comfortably) in length.
Tim F
I'm 6'3" and had a Lunar Solo. The room when laying down was okay, when I had the side tieouts staked out to 2' tall sticks. The sitting up room is what made me decide to sell it. High quality product, just not big enough for me. I recently acquired a TT Rainbow- and though I have not yet spent a night in it, I love it
Mary D
haven't tried the Contrail. I found the SMD Lunar Solo a bit snug for me, though I'm only 5'3". I use a 2.5" POE pad and a thick pillow, which put my head really close to the tent wall. Guying the walls out did help a little. But it took a considerable learning curve to be able to sit up from a lying position without brushing my sleeping bag hood against the tent wall. I don't see how someone over 6' could possibly manage this feat even with a thin sleeping pad.

Cptain K man
I like my SMD Lunar Solo. I'm 6'1" and I sleep on my side curled up in a ball, me and my 40lb dog fit fine (he sleeps curled up in a ball in the triangle behind me, near the back wall) I keep my ULA pack in the vestibule. If you're over 6' and sleep on your back look into something other the lunar

AK,

I had an earlier version of the Lunar Solo. It was good tent. All their products are well designed and constructed. I ened up selling it after I got my Henry Shires Contrail.

Ed T (followed by :Yeah, I'd buy Six Moons again , no problem. Good quailty and design and Ron is a good guy to boot. )
And a balanced view from Chris Wheeler
I own both tents and continue to use both depending on the trip. I have the first generation Lunar Solo and a two year old Contrail. I am 6'2" 190 lbs.

The two tarptents are amazing, and would recommend either tent to someone considering moving to a lightweight structure. They both go up quickly and the differences between tents are subtle.

The Lunar Solo I use when rain or high winds are expected, due to its full weather coverage. I prefer the side entry, that gives a view of the campsite. Their is more room inside this tent which is welcome when I spend a lot of time in the tent. The Lunar Solo could be improved by making it a four inches longer.

The Contrail gets used when little rain or wind is expected and at altitude (JMT). The Contrail gives me extra headroom for a large pillow that I need above 8,000 ft. The Contrail allows for more airflow which I like, and is less prone to condensation. The extra length is welcome as I use a 6'6" sleeping bag. This tent is harder to put up in high winds.
(maybe Chris needs to have a look at my set up, but it's OK ...)
Franco

slow
04-01-2009, 00:19
I must say ...you are GOLDEN IN MY BOOK.

If you want a cave in and out... contrail.If your not a caveman and would also like MUCH more room the SMD SOLO.What is "a cave in and out" and/or "caveman"?

slow
04-01-2009, 00:56
What is "a cave in and out" and/or "caveman"?

The contrail is front enter...vs the solo side....and much more room inside....plus the storage in the vest is almost twice the size.:)

Hokie
04-01-2009, 05:41
FYI, if you don't mind a double wall, I listed this Photon Laser that weighs under 2 lbs on ebay last week. Goes off soon. I decided that Gossamer Gear The One was for me as it is similar in size but lighter.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=120396213411

Good luck finding what you are looking for!

theinfamousj
04-01-2009, 09:33
Gossamer Gear : Shelter : The One is 16oz at $295

^^ Seconded.

FamilyGuy
04-01-2009, 10:14
The real fact is this.

contrail L= 84 w=30
solo L=90 w=36

And soooo many retro fits to ....what one? Keep working on it.

Hey Slow - actually, those aren't quite the facts on the Contrail.

Note that the width of the shelter is much more than 30 - in fact, it is 42 inches on the floor with another 3.5 or so inches in shoulder room because the sides of the shelter angle outward from the footprint (floor). The side of the shelter and the floor are connected by perimeter mesh (think A-frame). The space is huge.

I have never seen the Solo in person, but because of the dramatically sloped walls where your feet and head go, there is no way that the 90" is usable. All 84" on the Contrail is usable because of vertical ends.

Will you go buy one already? If you don't like it return it.:banana

skinewmexico
04-01-2009, 11:29
It's all usable on my Solo. Guess I'm weird.

FamilyGuy
04-01-2009, 13:13
It's all usable on my Solo. Guess I'm weird.

Or Short. Or you have a pointed head. Or you have really dainty feet.

Sirclimbsalot
04-01-2009, 13:17
Another vote for the sublite.

Pootz
04-01-2009, 13:20
Rainbow, tarp tent meets and of your criteria.

Foyt20
04-01-2009, 14:29
4th for Rainbow. Huge tent for one person, the double rainbow would be a mansion.

Go with the rainbow.

skinewmexico
04-01-2009, 15:16
I have never seen the Solo in person,

The quote that says it all.

FamilyGuy
04-01-2009, 17:28
The quote that says it all.

Just going by the dimensions and layout Chuckles.

I had The One and have an Akto. I am familiar with the design.

So do you have a pointed head?

Franco
04-01-2009, 17:29
When The One came out (similar longitudinal configuration to the Lunar Solo) I pointed out that for the taller ones (IE say over 6'2') it would be a bit short .
Plenty of folk chirped up quoting floor length forgetting head room, and that is head room once you are on top of a mat . That is why some Lunar Solo users have switched to the Contrail, because you have more usable space with it , particularly if you do not like a fly just a few inches above your face. BTW that is also the reason why some have commented that they have less condensation inside the Contrail than the Lunar Solo, although some of the difference can be mitigated if you use a groundsheet in the LS vestibule.
Franco

HeartFire
05-18-2009, 14:12
the LightHeart solo tent - 1 lb 10 oz, you'll love it
www.lightheartgear.com

Grinder
05-18-2009, 14:28
Guess What? The Heartfire mentioned in the previous post is the one I'm thinking of!!

Check it out. It may be just what you want!!
G

There was a lady at the Franklin Hiker Bash selling a new design of tent she developed.

It used two poles, weighed right around 2 pounds and was huge as one man tents go. Price was pretty user friendly.

Anyone remember her name or have contact info, I got a brochure but can't find it.

Engine
05-18-2009, 14:42
Guess What? The Heartfire mentioned in the previous post is the one I'm thinking of!!

Check it out. It may be just what you want!!
G

There was a lady at the Franklin Hiker Bash selling a new design of tent she developed.

It used two poles, weighed right around 2 pounds and was huge as one man tents go. Price was pretty user friendly.

Anyone remember her name or have contact info, I got a brochure but can't find it.

She is the person who just posted above you...:D

jcazz
05-18-2009, 14:42
^^ Seconded.

I bought one used and took it this spring on a 3 week 340 mile section hike on the AT. I am 5'4'' and there was plenty of room for all my gear and my 52lb hound dog and his gear. I had every type of weather possible from rain, snow, hail and severe wind gusts. We were high and dry with no condensation problems. I brought a small rayon camp towel to dry it off inside and out in the am. I only used it (towel) a couple of times but i used it mostly on the dog. Even wet is light -the spinnaker fabric doesn't hold any moisture. One of the best features is you don't have to crawl out of the end -side entry.

Mocs123
05-18-2009, 15:17
I have a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 that is 2lbs 13oz that I have been very happy with, but have recently bought a Gossamer Gear SpinnShelter that I plan on pairing with a Mountain Laurel Designs Serenity Shelter to make a modular one and a half pound double wall tent.

acronym
05-18-2009, 15:46
I have the contrail and will stick to since I don't always carry trekking poles, but the rainbow and 2 poles make a self-standing tent. Something to consider when putting up on platforms.

nero
05-18-2009, 16:32
I know you stipulated that it must use your trekking poles, but if you can overlook that, the OneShot is a great little tent. I'm 5'-10" and it lets me sit hunched over. You can order one from REI, and set it up in the store. If you don't like it, you can get all your money back.

I need a new tent. It must:

1) Weigh under 3 lbs. Under 2 lbs would be sweet!

2) Use my Leki sticks for poles

3) Have sides and attached floor

4) Have enough headroom for a small person (under 5'5") to be able to sit up in

5) Cost less than $300

The lighter the better.

My old Kelty "Clark" 1-man tent has been great, but it has finally almost worn out. It is also nearly 10 years old, so I sure got my money's worth. It also weighed nearly 4 lbs, so I am looking for something significantly lighter.

Due to some insect bite allergies, I need a tent with a floor and walls - not open to the critters. Want as small as possible but still be able to sit up inside it.

Willling to pay a premium price if neccessary but trying to be frugal if I can.

Any suggestions?

DaleTr
05-18-2009, 17:52
I have a Hubba I purchased approx 6 weeks ago for $175.00 her on WB that I will sell for $100.00. I needed a 2man for my g/f and myself. I had researched and loved the height and the huge vestibules.

Tinker
05-18-2009, 21:56
I saw this at Trail Days last weekend:
http://lightheartgear.com/
It's basically a redesigned Wanderlust tent. The Wanderlust was THE tent to have a few years back. I almost got one until I heard that the designer wasn't delivering to some of his clients after collecting from them. Wonderful design. I'd buy one if I didn't have a fleet of tents (and hammocks) already.

HeartFire
05-18-2009, 22:36
I'm also developing a 2 person tent and will have that ready for showing in a couple of weeks. It will be a really generous 2 person tent, have 42 inches of head room, and plenty of room for all your gear. I think it will be under 2 lb.

BTW, at Trail Days, I found a guy that was 6' 7" he was able to sit up in the Lightheart solo but couldn't really stretch out in it.

Foyt20
05-19-2009, 12:17
6'7"? I would think he would need a garage to sleep in :D

Snowleopard
05-19-2009, 13:06
Pyramids from mountainlaureldesign.com or http://oware.com/ or the alphamid (half pyramid) from http://oware.com/.
What I like about tall pyramids (6'+) is that I can stand up in it.

Cheap alternatives:

Walmart kids tent $26, http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5623423 This one won't work for someone 6'7". Under 2lb.

No built in floor, but cheap and light: http://www.appytrails.com/

FamilyGuy
05-21-2009, 10:09
The Golite Shangri-La 1 deserves mention as well. Full coverage tarp shelter without bug netting insert is 1lb without pegs. With bug insert 2 lbs, 3oz - using your trekking poled. Huge space with vestibule, dual vents, and stronger nylon than found in most like shelters. Fully double walled which aids in the management of condensation.

flemdawg1
05-27-2009, 14:41
Pyramids from mountainlaureldesign.com (http://mountainlaureldesign.com) or http://oware.com/ or the alphamid (half pyramid) from http://oware.com/.
What I like about tall pyramids (6'+) is that I can stand up in it.

Cheap alternatives:

Walmart kids tent $26, http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5623423 This one won't work for someone 6'7". Under 2lb.

No built in floor, but cheap and light: http://www.appytrails.com/

Its actually http://www.owareusa.com/, the other one is an office supplier.

Dr O
05-27-2009, 19:21
Anyone ever try the golite trig 2?

specs look good, roomy, and it's cheap. Nobody ever mentions it
is there some problem with it?

Dr O
05-27-2009, 19:22
Anyone ever try the golite trig 2?

specs look good, roomy, and it's cheap. Nobody ever mentions it
is there some problem with it?

doh forgot link
http://www.campsaver.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=out0020

Franco
05-27-2009, 20:00
Dr O

"is there some problem with it?"
No direct experience except having played with it ( on the shop floor) a few years ago.
Two points that stand out in my mind
1)condensation
2) weight
Of course all tents can condensate, even open tarps do, however not having an apex vent of some sort does not help. You can have all the mesh you want at the bottom but hot air raises...
If you keep the door open that will help but of course it can't be done when it rains.
Note when it rains you need extra stakes to peg the side flaps down and away from the mesh , making that a total of 11 pegs.

At 3lbs 5 oz it is now a relatively heavy shelter for a single wall pole supported A frame tent. Heavy for one, small and still heavish for two.

Franco

Wags
05-28-2009, 16:32
post. seeing as how you're from harrisburg i assume you'll be doing a good bit of your backpackign around here. may i suggest a hammock/tarp combo. you can stay under your 3lb limit easily and will likely spend less than comparible tents.

take-a-knee
05-28-2009, 17:03
post. seeing as how you're from harrisburg i assume you'll be doing a good bit of your backpackign around here. may i suggest a hammock/tarp combo. you can stay under your 3lb limit easily and will likely spend less than comparible tents.

Naaahh, let him buy four or five tents before he gets tired of wiggling on the ground like a reptile. It's good for the economy. The "weight penalty" of a hammock is about a pound for three-seasons. When I get so weak I can't carry that pound, I'll stay home.

m6amba
06-01-2009, 05:47
hey Post, another CePa hiker here
im 5'10 and use a eureka spitfire and i can sit up in it, head touches mesh roof, but it works
weighs 2lbs 8oz
its a double wall, uses no poles to set up but is not a free standing.....
ive used it twice, might be selling it to get the tarptent contrail......
i have it rolled up tent and fly in a therma-rest prolite 3 stuff sack, poles and stakes in the pole sack.....

you interested in taking a look at it?

cmcdonal2001
06-02-2009, 00:36
I've also used a Spitfire before, and it's a pretty sturdy little tent. Not one of the flashier brands, but roomy enough, dry enough, and light enough.

m6amba
06-04-2009, 23:58
agreed, its a great little tent for the price.
i slept in it in a downpour, and stayed dry

skinewmexico
06-05-2009, 00:53
GoLite is having a 40% off sale, if that helps.

Mocs123
06-05-2009, 10:22
With the Golite Sale, It would be hard to say no to a Shangri-La 1 and Nest. That would put you at around 2lbs 10oz.

mister krabs
06-05-2009, 14:02
GoLite is having a 40% off sale, if that helps.

where?

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters

Mocs123
06-05-2009, 14:15
TAKE 30% OFF YOUR ENTIRE ORDER ON golite.com
Enter coupon code GLNTD09 at checkout.

We're getting our hands dirty for
National Trails Day --- are you?
This weekend GoLite's staff will gather to improve the trails we hike and bike each day. Are you volunteering in your community? Great!

Reward yourself with an additional 10% by
entering coupon code GLNTD09VOL at checkout,
for a total of 40% OFF YOUR ORDER!

Offer valid Thursday 6/4/09 12:00 AM through Friday 6/12/09 11:59 PM.
* Due to high anticipated response, please allow up to 7 business days for processing & shipping of your order.
**Some orders may ship in two or more shipments depending on availability of stock. Every attempt will be made to consolidate shipments.
*** Please note � we are unable to offer expedited shipping during this promotion. All sale orders will ship via UPS Ground Service.

simplespirit
06-09-2009, 09:09
The TarpTent Scarp 1 deserves mention if you need doublewall. It's under 3 lbs and the floor space is all usable.

Lyle
06-09-2009, 13:36
TAKE 30% OFF YOUR ENTIRE ORDER ON golite.com
Enter coupon code GLNTD09 at checkout.

We're getting our hands dirty for
National Trails Day --- are you?
This weekend GoLite's staff will gather to improve the trails we hike and bike each day. Are you volunteering in your community? Great!

Reward yourself with an additional 10% by
entering coupon code GLNTD09VOL at checkout,
for a total of 40% OFF YOUR ORDER!

Offer valid Thursday 6/4/09 12:00 AM through Friday 6/12/09 11:59 PM.
* Due to high anticipated response, please allow up to 7 business days for processing & shipping of your order.
**Some orders may ship in two or more shipments depending on availability of stock. Every attempt will be made to consolidate shipments.
*** Please note � we are unable to offer expedited shipping during this promotion. All sale orders will ship via UPS Ground Service.

I just ordered Shangri-La 2 for winter use. Couldn't resist the deal. Note - be sure to enter BOTH coupon codes in order to get the 40% discount - I missed this and paid a bit more than I needed to.

I'm still VERY interested in getting a Scarp, but hope to have the opportunity to see one before I spend the money.

d'shadow
06-09-2009, 14:42
I highly recommend the Lightheart. A friend of mine is thruhiking and has been using it for over 700 miles. It has held up through cold weather, snow, thunderstorms, and is stil going strong. At 26 oz, it is an excellent choice!:sun

Tinker
06-09-2009, 23:17
Dr O

"is there some problem with it?"
No direct experience except having played with it ( on the shop floor) a few years ago.
Two points that stand out in my mind
1)condensation
2) weight
Of course all tents can condensate, even open tarps do, however not having an apex vent of some sort does not help. You can have all the mesh you want at the bottom but hot air raises...
If you keep the door open that will help but of course it can't be done when it rains.
Note when it rains you need extra stakes to peg the side flaps down and away from the mesh , making that a total of 11 pegs.

At 3lbs 5 oz it is now a relatively heavy shelter for a single wall pole supported A frame tent. Heavy for one, small and still heavish for two.

Franco

A fine point of distinction: Tents don't condensate any more than you or I flu. Both are things that we suffer from, not things we create. ondensation is inescapable in some conditions, such as a fog rolling in. Everything gets soaked (but it is debatable whether or not fog can be called condensation).

lvleph
06-09-2009, 23:38
I vote Tarptent. I just got myself a Double Rainbow and am very impressed at the room. Anyone of the Tarptents would work just great.

tammons
09-14-2009, 10:44
Spitfire - $96

Replace the stakes with titanium and its 2#14 with alum poles with a fly and its sturdy.

The fly can be modified to work as a poncho pretty easily. ITs long.

Replace the poles with CF and lose 4oz. Have Tim at BPL build you cuben fly and lose another 10oz.

If it blows away go buy another one for $96

Tarptent Sublite would be my SUL tent chioce.

Gatewood cape and a bug tent for SUL dual use as a poncho.

Franco
09-14-2009, 18:09
"Tents don't condensate any more than you or I flu"
Good point... , it was meant in the same way as we say sunset and sunrise...
If tents could produce condensation we could possibly solve here the problem of water shortage.
The point was that some tents trap more condensation than others.
Franco

FamilyGuy
09-14-2009, 20:15
I like condensation. In fact, if you are smart about it you can gather the accumulation for your morning oatmeal.

paintplongo
10-19-2009, 12:43
Highly recommend the Tarptent Contrail. It's very reasonably priced, made in the USA and very well built and proven.