PDA

View Full Version : down jacket help

G. Rabbit
03-30-2009, 22:21
I just got a down jacket for a good deal on ebay. It probably isn't the best quality, but will be good to experiment with. The problem is I'm a native Floridian so anything with down is a very foreign concept unless it is still atached to the duck. There is just no need for it here so I'm a little clueless.
Where would a light down jacket fit into a layering system? Does it just take the place of a fleece jacket (insulating layer)? Do you need a windblocking layer over it like a fleece does or no?
How would I wash it on the trail? I assume you can't just chuck it in the washer and dryer with everything else since there are feathers involved.

Any even basic info would help so much. I know there are a lot of people here that rave over down and ther is a lot of info about down sleeping bags. Educate me to your ways please

Wags
03-30-2009, 22:42
hey bro congrats on the score!

it'll likely take place of your fleece jacket, but i wouldn't wear it while hiking if at all possible. chances are it'll get wet with sweat and also the down in the shoulders and around your waist will get crushed and damage. i only really wear mine while in camp or if i'm taking an extended break.

should be windproof but you'll need a shell anyway to keep it dry during precip.

jrwiesz
03-31-2009, 00:21
Try a search in the "Gear forum". That is a good place to start.

Kerosene
03-31-2009, 12:54
How you layer will likely depend on the outside temperature, your sensitivity to cold and humidity, and your activity level. In most cases for Floridians hiking on the AT, you shouldn't plan to wear down while hiking.

Given a cold enough camp (typically sub-freezing), then a down jacket can come in handy and even be used to augment the warmth of your sleeping bag (as long as you don't compress the down of the jacket or the bag, which reduces loft which results in cold spots).

In camp, you'll probably be wearing a long-sleeve camp-only base layer, possibly covered with a lightweight fleece, then the down jacket, with a dry rain jacket serving as a windbreaker and adding a bit more warmth.

Remember that your body's thermostat will gradually adapt to cooler outdoor temperatures the longer you're outside being exposed to the elements. Just keep that down jacket (and sleeping bag) very dry to maximize warmth.

Blissful
03-31-2009, 13:39
I used mine for camp use on the trail in the colder months.

Wheeler
03-31-2009, 14:02
How you layer will likely depend on the outside temperature, your sensitivity to cold and humidity, and your activity level. In most cases for Floridians hiking on the AT, you shouldn't plan to wear down while hiking.

Given a cold enough camp (typically sub-freezing), then a down jacket can come in handy and even be used to augment the warmth of your sleeping bag (as long as you don't compress the down of the jacket or the bag, which reduces loft which results in cold spots).

In camp, you'll probably be wearing a long-sleeve camp-only base layer, possibly covered with a lightweight fleece, then the down jacket, with a dry rain jacket serving as a windbreaker and adding a bit more warmth.

Remember that your body's thermostat will gradually adapt to cooler outdoor temperatures the longer you're outside being exposed to the elements. Just keep that down jacket (and sleeping bag) very dry to maximize warmth.
About compressing the down item, Is it bad to use a compression sack on a down sleeping bag?

SteveJ
03-31-2009, 16:11
About compressing the down item, Is it bad to use a compression sack on a down sleeping bag?

My down bags are the most expensive items I've purchased. I'd never compress them, and am careful about making sure they go in the right stuff sack so they're not overcompressed in the stuff sack....maybe I'm being overly careful, but I expect them to last decades, and wouldn't want to carelessly damage a major investment.....

Doughnut
04-01-2009, 05:50
I compress (roll) mine into a waterproof bag. It stays dry, and serves as a pillow at night.
After it is compressed, let it hang for a few minutes to regain it's loft, and of course, allow it to air out before you re-pack it.

dough_nut