PDA

View Full Version : Smelly Clothes

hikingbear
03-31-2009, 08:09
My question is, what do you do with your smelly clothes after hiking all day (I'm talking about on a thru hike)?

Do you sleep in your hiking clothes?
Do you change into camp clothe? If so do you leave your smelly ones in the tent?

I guess what I am getting at is, I know you do not want any food smells in the tent to attract bears, are they attracted to smelly clothes?

Thanks!

Lone Wolf
03-31-2009, 08:12
i wear the same clothes and sleep with my food

kayak karl
03-31-2009, 08:42
My question is, what do you do with your smelly clothes after hiking all day (I'm talking about on a thru hike)?

Do you change into camp clothe? If so do you leave your smelly ones in the tent?

I guess what I am getting at is, I know you do not want any food smells in the tent to attract bears, are they attracted to smelly clothes?

Thanks!
within 2-3 days all your clothes stink. your bag stinks. your hammock stinks. your pack stinks. you'll wash them and they will still stink. i would think it would repel bears. :)
i sleep in skives and t, no matter what the temp. unless i need to ware something to dry it.

Mango
03-31-2009, 08:57
Try to air them out as much as possible. Then, if they're dry enough, stuff them in a bag for a pillow. Try not to breathe too deeply.

DavidNH
03-31-2009, 09:01
After just a few days, you won't even notice how much your clothes smell. At least one hopes not, because ALL of them will smell. Just sleep with them and deal with it.

If you can't deal with less than clean clothes and a not fresh smelling body, you might as well put aside your backpacking dreams right now!

David

papa john
03-31-2009, 09:37
Find a sunny spot with a nive view, spread everything out in the sun. Get out your very best snack/lunch and take a long break while you gaze at the view taking numerous pictures. After an hour or so, pack everything up and resume hiking. It might now do anything for the smell, but you will be relaxed and refreshed so that you won't care...:-)

BR360
03-31-2009, 09:54
Wool and silk do not take on as much smell as polyesters and nylons, even after a week of hiking. For me, I don't stink much anyway, so i can go a week and only have a slight nutty aroma ;).

But wool clothes can still smell, sometimes a lot, depending on the individual wearing them.

What causes the smell? The buildup of bacteria. Sweat, plus the accumulation of body oils and dirt provide a sustainable environment for the bacteria to flourish, which, day-after-day, builds-up a nice sized colony. If you had a micro-scope strong enough, you'd see quite the tailgate party on your clothes.

Ultra-Violet light will kill bacteria. So, yes, drying your clothes in the sun works. Tough to find the sun on many stretches of the AT. Not to mention the 5-straight days of rain.

You can do a "birdbath" everyday with a quart of water. Face, neck, pits, crotch and feet (in that order). you can also clean your clothes this way, then put them on to let them dry on your body.

You can also use alcohol to kill bacteria in your underarms. In camp after hiking all day I use Seabreeze in the nether regions. It'll give a tingle to your jingle, though.

I carry a set of lightweight silk clothes to wear when I sleep, and i try and not get hot in the bag.

All this seems to help. YMMV.

Summit
03-31-2009, 10:28
within 2-3 days all your clothes stink. your bag stinks. your hammock stinks. your pack stinks. you'll wash them and they will still stink. i would think it would repel bears. :)
i sleep in skives and t, no matter what the temp. unless i need to ware something to dry it.What karl said . . . ditto!

hikingbear
03-31-2009, 13:13
I guess I wasn't clear enough. I could care less that I and everything I have smells.

I was asking if the bears are drawn to the sweaty smell.

Gorp-Gobbler
03-31-2009, 13:26
I guess I wasn't clear enough. I could care less that I and everything I have smells.

My understanding the human body is pretty replusive to most animals in the wild except for maybe Grizzles, so I'd think, the "stinkyer" the better for keeping bears away. Any comments on my thoughts?

Blissful
03-31-2009, 13:33
I change clothes for camp and sleepng. The idea of my sleeping bag smelling like my hiking clothes, no way - though eventually it all catches up. Glad the laundry is only around 4-5 days away.

Spirit Walker
03-31-2009, 22:42
Black bears will be attracted to your food bag, not you. The smell of chocolate is much more enticing than the smell of smelly hiker. The ones that are used to getting food from people know that if they go up to people while cooking, they have a pretty good chance of getting some food. At night, they'll go for your hung food bags. Unless you are sleeping with your food in an area where bears are known to hang out or bring candy bars into your tent for a midnight snack, you'll probably be okay.

karoberts
04-01-2009, 00:18
You can also use alcohol to kill bacteria in your underarms. In camp after hiking all day I use Seabreeze in the nether regions. It'll give a tingle to your jingle, though.

What exactly is "seabreeze" and where can I get it?

Tennessee Viking
04-01-2009, 00:48
Its always a good idea to have clothes for hiking, and something for camp. Your hiking clothes will be wet from sweat, and thats something you do want on a cold night.

aaronthebugbuffet
04-01-2009, 01:46
I just wear the same clothes all the time.

chrishowe11
04-01-2009, 19:11
bear's arn't going to be attracted to a natural smell, they'd be more likely to show up wearing different smelling things to them, like deoderant or shampoo that stuff will also attract mosquietoes and black flies watch out up here in Maine

CowHead
04-01-2009, 19:20
Aah nothing like the smell of a 4-day hiker especially in the morning

jamarshall
04-01-2009, 19:55
Seabreeze and the generic equivalent are available at Walmart, usually near the cosmetics.

Bilge Rat
04-01-2009, 20:11
Just hike naked. Problem solved. No more smelly clothes.:D

flemdawg1
04-02-2009, 15:01
Or crowded shelters.

Wags
04-02-2009, 16:52
i sometimes 'air' my clothes out beside a campfire. the wood smoke smell overwhelms all other scents, and you don't have to get off the trail to do this.

Chiaroscuro
04-08-2009, 13:47
Theatre folk have a similar problem with costumes, which are often not washable. 8 shows a week, between dry cleaning. Cheaper than cosmetics, wardrobe professionals use vodka. Doesn't add any other fragrances. So unless your bear has a drinking problem, ideal.

Kneegrinder
04-08-2009, 14:05
X-static socks, T-shirts and briefs really help on the trail and in your tent but when we walked into the air-conditioning of the Hanover Inn on a hot August day a couple of years ago I could swear something had died. It was us. They got us a room really fast just to get us out of the lobby.

garlic08
04-08-2009, 14:09
I believe you always want to make your presence known to large mammals as soon as possible--don't sneak up on moose, bear, big cat, etc. If the wind's the right direction, your 5-day odor should help in this regard. In camp, your stink may even be a way to mark your territory.

I don't think it's anything to worry about.

YoungMoose
04-08-2009, 14:11
i wear my hiking stuff at night. i just make sure there are no like big dirt spots so it wont get my bag dirtier quikly

unclemjm
04-09-2009, 11:36
Theatre folk have a similar problem with costumes, which are often not washable. 8 shows a week, between dry cleaning. Cheaper than cosmetics, wardrobe professionals use vodka. Doesn't add any other fragrances. So unless your bear has a drinking problem, ideal.

So, do I splash the vodka on the clothes to kill smell?

or

Wash with it?

or

Just drink enough that I won't care about the smell, or bears for that matter?

JAK
04-09-2009, 11:46
My wool sweater doesn't get that smelly. My boxers and socks are the only thing I wash, and I only do that if out more than 3 days. I just use hot water, no soap. I don't wash socks and boxers together. I item a day after 3 days is enough. I'm not worried about smell so much as foot and crotch rot and food contamination.

fehchet
04-09-2009, 12:08

The "Theater folk" drink the vodka and don't give a damn about the smell. I'd stay away from the front rows. :rolleyes:

Gaiter
04-09-2009, 13:01

ballet is the worst for smelly costumes.....

http://images0.cafepress.com/product/93668950v9_350x350_Front_Color-Black.jpg

daddytwosticks
04-09-2009, 14:05
I agree Gaiter...my 16 yo daughter is a dancer...pee-yew! The dance studio she dances at reeks too! :)

middle to middle
04-09-2009, 15:32
Every time I showered I missed something. The body odor became an alter ego. Never noticed it but missed it. Of course I am male.

T

middle to middle
04-09-2009, 15:35
I never knew the vodka solution but on a hike I the smell is ok and the vodka if available should be imbibed.

TrippinBTM
04-09-2009, 19:14

that may explain why nothing bothers you or your food at night, lol

But I did the same. I don't carry extra clothes, excep as "town clothes" which I don't want to ruin by wearing them on the trail. And by ruin, I mean get that hiker funk on them.

TrippinBTM
04-09-2009, 19:24
Find a sunny spot with a nive view, spread everything out in the sun. Get out your very best snack/lunch and take a long break while you gaze at the view taking numerous pictures. After an hour or so, pack everything up and resume hiking. It might now do anything for the smell, but you will be relaxed and refreshed so that you won't care...:-)

Plus you get to be naked in the woods, apparently? I gotta say, I wouldn't want to be the guy coming up on your lunch break...

rainmakerat92
04-09-2009, 19:34
I always have a separate set of "sleeping & lounging" clothes. At the end of the day, I try to deodorize as best I can with alcohol and cotton balls, then I hang-up my hiking clothes after I change.

Just before I go into town, I use the alochol and cotton balls, and change into my sleeping & lounging clothes. I don't like to be a "smelly hiker" in town.

Wise Old Owl
04-09-2009, 20:16

I remember something in the early years before my time...

Oh yea its called the DARK AGES... no soap, no water, no teeth, no hygine....Bet that keeps the little critters away!

Wise Old Owl
04-09-2009, 20:27

or

Wash with it?

or

neither .... Folks,

I don't mind sharing .. IF you are head to toe in Polypro (polyester micro fiber) you can jump into the nearest stream clothed and get back hiking,,, just have to put your boots on. You should be dry in less than half an hour and burning the calories.

nelisx
04-12-2009, 09:26
i bathe my clothes in the smoke of the camp-fire. if you don't mind the smell of smoke, it overpowers most other scents.

Chaco Taco
04-12-2009, 19:22
Just a fact of life, you will have to embrace your hiker smell. Sometimes I go thru my hiker closet and smell the shirts I wore last year and I miss the smell.

catfishrivers
04-12-2009, 21:59
I was considering taking a tiny squirt bottle of Fabreeze to spray the nasty bits and pits down before trying to hitch hike, as an olfactory courtesy to the soul so kind as to offer me a ride...

Wise Old Owl
04-12-2009, 22:24

Ok I am no expert here, but after watching National Geographic, clearly they are attracted to Pepper Spray and other strong smells. They are attacted to bright colors on tents and stuff. Other than that watch Timothy Treadwell and do everything opposite of his stupid moves.....

http://toppayingideas.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/grizzly-man-diaries.jpg

Tinker
04-12-2009, 23:50

Thanks!

I hang them to air out and change into "camp clothes" (same stuff I hike in usually, but I try to keep the mud off of it). If it's raining I hang them out to rinse. Either way, I put the dirty stuff on next morning and walk in it - over and over for up to a week. If I come by a stream I'll jump in if it's warm enough and rinse myself and my clothes at the same time. If it rains and it's warm enough, I just enjoy the free shower. When it's really cold I just wash the "important parts" or wipe off with "baby wipes". More info than you asked for, but, really, hiking is a dirty activity and you just get used to it.

Never had a bear eat my clothes while they were hanging, so I guess they're more interested in food.
Porcupines will eat sweaty boots if they can get at them. They often chew on shelter floors where people have spilled salty food.
I'd say that if you spill food on your clothes and you're in an area where bears have become a problem you'd best not wear them to bed (unless you're Lone Wolf ;)).

beakerman
04-13-2009, 05:17

or

Wash with it?

or

Just in case nobody else answers your questions...yes to all three

Engine
04-13-2009, 07:05
Ok I am no expert here, but after watching National Geographic, clearly they are attracted to Pepper Spray and other strong smells. They are attacted to bright colors on tents and stuff. Other than that watch Timothy Treadwell and do everything opposite of his stupid moves.....

http://toppayingideas.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/grizzly-man-diaries.jpg

5 minutes into that documentary I knew he was doomed to end up a bear turd...

Chaco Taco
04-13-2009, 18:02
I was considering taking a tiny squirt bottle of Fabreeze to spray the nasty bits and pits down before trying to hitch hike, as an olfactory courtesy to the soul so kind as to offer me a ride...

My common word today has been as follows, Seriously???:datz

Chaco Taco
04-13-2009, 18:02
They know what they are gettin into when they stop

Wise Old Owl
04-13-2009, 21:28
Thanks Engine - I just fell off my chair laughing.....

catfishrivers
04-13-2009, 21:46
My common word today has been as follows, Seriously???:datz

Not entirely serious, but the thought crossed my mind that for the tiny bit of weight it wouldn't be the worst gesture to destank a bit.

But hey, I'm glad to be blowing your mind with my outlandishness :p

Chaco Taco
04-16-2009, 22:54
Not entirely serious, but the thought crossed my mind that for the tiny bit of weight it wouldn't be the worst gesture to destank a bit.

But hey, I'm glad to be blowing your mind with my outlandishness :p

HAHAHA:clap

Chaco Taco
04-16-2009, 22:55

This is Mr Chocolate!