PDA

View Full Version : Hiking alone and my wife

hawkeye
03-31-2009, 10:00
I have a problem. My wife hates it when I went out by myself on overnight trips. She thinks it is not safe for me to hike alone. I stay on the AT so that there are others out there. None of my friends backpack so finding someone else can be hard. The last 2 times I went out I got bit by a dog in CT. and on the Long Trail I slipped on a rock and bruised my lower back! More fuel for her! How can I get her to understand that backpacking on the AT is safe to go solo. Please post response that she can read. Thanks,
Greg

IceAge
03-31-2009, 10:18
Hiking the AT is safer than walking down the sidewalk, no chance that a car might lose control and hit you.

Many Walks
03-31-2009, 10:31
Any chance your wife will go out with you for some day trips and then some over night camping to really see what it's like? Once she understands the environment she may become more comfortable. Stuff happens out there like slips and falls, etc, but that can happen everywhere. I'd rather be out hiking than sitting on the couch waiting for a heart attack.

mister krabs
03-31-2009, 10:31
You can't. It would be nice if this was something you could fix, but it's her fears that she has to deal with. Hopefully she will recognize that it her fear of the unknown and being left alone that is driving her resistance, not the statistically safe reality of the situation. Show her my post of what I found in my back yard in the suburbs last night (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=813098&postcount=153) and I'll tell her right now that danger is in your life everyday, at home, at school, in the car, and at work. Living in fear of possible imagined danger to the point of abandoning your dreams and aspirations is no way to go through life. It's too short.

Just bring a phone and use it as often as you can while reminding her that coverage can be spotty . Frequent texts should help her keep her anxiety at arm's length. Regardless, it's her fear, she has to deal with it, you can only help.

Doctari
03-31-2009, 11:02
The unknown is scary for many.
Check out:
Lynn Weldon's video "How to hike the AT"
Backpacker mag produced a video wherre they gave a bunch of hikers cam corders & had them hike the AT, sorry I can't find the link anymore or remember the name.
David Brill's book "As far as the eye can see" & other books may make the AT less unknown, & let her at least "know" the AT a bit better.

superman
03-31-2009, 11:10
Trade the wife in for one that doesn't care as much about your safety.:)

GoldenBear
03-31-2009, 11:11
Another plan that's worked VERY well with my wife: make a dual-vacation! The two of you go to a place where there is (1) hiking for you and (2) something for her. A rural B&B is perfect. She drops you off at a trail-head in the morning, then goes and does things she loves but knows you don't enjoy. At the end of the day she picks you up at another trail head. YOU get to do what YOU love and SHE gets to do what SHE loves -- then, after you shower off your day's dirt, you BOTH do what you BOTH love.

As part of our 25th anniversary year, my wife and I spent three days in the Jersey Highlands, following the above script. And, although neither of us saw each other all day, we both consider it one of the most romantic times of our marriage!

saimyoji
03-31-2009, 11:18
She's right. The AT is a terrible dangerous place. Lightning, bears, coyotes, hypothermia, giardia, cryptosporidia, wolfmen, axemurderers, creeper vines, widowmakers, ice-storms, hail, day hikers, bad dreams, and to top it all off, MinnesotaSmith is out there somewhere. Better off walking in the local park.

Frosty
03-31-2009, 11:20
I have a problem. My wife hates it when I went out by myself on overnight trips. She thinks it is not safe for me to hike alone. I stay on the AT so that there are others out there. None of my friends backpack so finding someone else can be hard. The last 2 times I went out I got bit by a dog in CT. and on the Long Trail I slipped on a rock and bruised my lower back! More fuel for her! How can I get her to understand that backpacking on the AT is safe to go solo. Please post response that she can read. Thanks,
GregIt's okay if she thinks it isn't safe. You don't have to make her think anything. And I don't think you could no matter how hard you tried. It is about her concern that the worst thing in the world might happen - you could die. It doesn't matter that the odds are way low. It could happen and that bothers her. She has great concern for you and your safety. And you don't want her to worry needlessly. Each of you are concerned about the other, and that is a very good thing.

As a parent, I worried about my son all the time. Not that something was likely to happen, but the consequences to my life would be devastating if something did.

Of course, he had a right to live like a normal kid, and he did. I worried but tried to not let it affect my decision making. I could forbid my son from doing a lot of things, unlike your wife, who cannot stop you - an adult - from going hiking.

The best you can hope for is that she will continue to worry about you but recognize that you have a right to go hiking, and that as a husbandly activity, it is a whole lot better than getting drunk every night, womanizing, and/or gambling away your paycheck every week.

The best you can do is to recognize that her fear is one of you dying and it doesn't matter how unlikely it might be.

Weekend trips are good because eventually she may get the picture that it is safe. Or she may not.

Taking her with you might be a terrible idea. If she really believes that camping is dangerous, putting her in a tent in the woods with you and having her lie awake all night terrified at night noises and animals rustling leaves just outside teh tent is not going to make her feel better. Some people are afraid to sleep in the woods. Even many experienced backpackers need a couple nights to get back into the groove when they first start out.

Fear is not logical. I am afraid of roller-coaster type rides. It doesn't matter that the roller coasters run day after day without people dying. They affect me on a gut level and that is that. Quoting safety statistics to me is a waste of time. Other people are afraid of flying or sleeping in the woods or whatever.

Good luck, both of you.

skinewmexico
03-31-2009, 11:21
Buy a really big life insurance policy. She'll be encouraging you to go. And don't tell her when you get hurt!

Boudin
03-31-2009, 11:23
My wife used to worry about me hiking alone. You know, the typical "What if you fall?, What if you have a heart attack? What if.....?" You fill in the blank. I found that she worries less if I can stay in contact with her by cell phone. (I know, don't start bitching about technology). I also take lots of pictures. During the thru-hiker season I sometimes bring thru-hikers home for barbeque and a shower. Over the last 19 years, we have had hundreds of hikers stay at our house. My wife now shuttles hikers throughout the year. Her involvement makes it possible for me to hike without catching grief. Now instead of worrying about falls and heart attacks, she teases me about meeting hiker chicks.

Rain Man
03-31-2009, 11:50
She's right. The AT is a terrible dangerous place. Lightning, bears, coyotes, hypothermia, giardia, cryptosporidia, wolfmen, axemurderers, creeper vines, widowmakers, ice-storms, hail, day hikers, bad dreams, and to top it all off, MinnesotaSmith is out there somewhere. Better off walking in the local park.

Can't believe snakes and spiders weren't in the list. And now of course, we're more likely to have paranoids packin' sidearms! YIKES!!!

Rain:sunMan

Bilko
03-31-2009, 12:04
Are you kidding? Driving in Cape Cod is hundred times more dangerous than anything on the AT. However to be safe (like SkiNM wrote) buy a really big life insurance policy.

sheepdog
03-31-2009, 12:23
Greg
Don't tell her about getting bit by a dog or falling down. How long you been a husband?;)

bigmac_in
03-31-2009, 12:32
You know, I've never worried about hiking alone on the AT, because I've never gone more than a few hours without seeing someone on the trail. I'm not worried about most of the "hazard" mentioned previously, but my main concern would be some type of injury. (a heart attack might be fatal no matter if you were alone or not) If you are injured on the AT, it is typically just a matter of time before someone else comes along.

I went out on the Knobstone Trail, here in Indiana, one April day and was the only one on the trail. Didn't pass a soul all day. I started thinking - what if I was injured, or had a heart attack or something? It would be many hours before my wife realized I wasn't coming home and a search was made for me. It bothered me for a while, but really, I didn't care. I was out doing what I wanted to do - spend some time in the woods. You can't live your life worrying about the "what ifs". You've got to get out there and do the things that make you happy. If you don't - that's when the heart attacks and such come around.

Shutterbug
03-31-2009, 12:41
Greg

The places I hike alone are a lot more remote than where you are hiking, but the issues are the same. I bought a SPOT messenger and subscribed to the tracking feature. My wife can see where I am on Google Maps. When I decide where to camp for the night, I send an "I'm OK" message. It has made my wife more comfortable with my hiking alone.

Two Tents
03-31-2009, 12:52
HEY! That finder thing sounds cool. How big and how heavy is it?

Egads
03-31-2009, 13:06
REI http://www.rei.com/features/spot.html

Dad
03-31-2009, 13:24
Check out this post on another site about "risk"

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=121083

Dad

Blissful
03-31-2009, 13:30
Don't tell her about getting bit by a dog or falling down. How long you been a husband?;)

Ha, ha. That is actually true. But tell her I went in '07 with my teenage son and yet my hubby hung in there and trusted that we would be okay (even when I called one night to say we were stranded at Overmountain shelter with no food and then the cell phone died). He trusted me. That and lots of prayer helped him.

saimyoji
03-31-2009, 13:52
Can't believe snakes and spiders weren't in the list. And now of course, we're more likely to have paranoids packin' sidearms! YIKES!!!

Rain:sunMan

those i classify under day hikers.

Lilred
03-31-2009, 17:10
Buy your wife the book "Blind Courage" IF a blind guy can hike the trail with his seeing eye dog and not get killed, anyone can.

Deerleg
03-31-2009, 18:08
I’ve been happily married for 27 years and going out in the woods alone for our entire marriage. Most of the trips in the last ten years have been on the AT. As far as safety goes, I would say there is a code of conduct you follow when hiking alone, the basic principal would be simply be to minimize risk. An occasional slip or fall is inevitable, but usually not so bad you can't hike out. Looks like there is some good advice in the above posts and links as well. Also I’m recharged from a walk alone in the woods. It is therapeutic and when I come home refreshed I’m ready to take on the challenges of life and my wife has a happy hubby!

YoungMoose
03-31-2009, 19:00
Explain to your wife how much safer it is then regular life. thats what i did and my parents let me go on 3 day trips by myself. Im trying to let me do 5

srestrepo
03-31-2009, 19:12
well there is a statistic in Backpacker magazine and if you'd like i'd be willing to scan a copy of it and e-mail it to you, it goes on to combat frequent protests to people and going hiking. like what to do if you're scared of the dark and wont go on a solo by yourself (me) or if you're scared of heights, or if your wife seems to think that its very dangerous on a trail. basically the chances of being hurt in most area in the united states is about 1 in 50 just walking down the street. the chances of being hurt while out on the trail, 1 in 708,000... i love my girlfriend but this article really helped to put her at rest. let me know if i can help

oldfivetango
03-31-2009, 19:19
Hmmm,maybe I shouldn't mention it but I note that you are not eaten up with
concerns for what might happen to her,including,but not limitd to:
Auto accidents,slipping in the bathtub,slipping on a freshly mopped floor(like my
wife did,but I was at home nursing a bad back),having an intruder in the home,
getting car jacked,getting mugged at the ATM,getting mugged on the subway,the
mall,in the parking lot of the local Walmart,getting bit by a dog,a rat,killer bees,a
snake,or being shot by a coworker,driveby,gang initiation,well..........the list is
endless.She needs to know that fear is the thief of dreams(saw it on a bumper
sticker)
Oldfivetango

Lone Wolf
03-31-2009, 19:25
Greg

dear mrs. hawkeye,
let your husband do his thing. he's a man. don't emasculate him. it'll make him a happier and better husband. seriously.
lone wolf

J5man
03-31-2009, 19:55
The places I hike alone are a lot more remote than where you are hiking, but the issues are the same. I bought a SPOT messenger and subscribed to the tracking feature. My wife can see where I am on Google Maps. When I decide where to camp for the night, I send an "I'm OK" message. It has made my wife more comfortable with my hiking alone.

That's exactly what I do for my fiance. I also have my dad connected to the Spot marker messages and that way he can follow my hike vicariously. I have found the signal doesn't always go out when I send it so whenever I stop for the night, I send it twice to increase the chances of her getting it. Plus it has the 911 feature if you really are in an emergency. The way I look at it, I got the signal feature for her and the 911 feature for myself. If it puts a loved one at ease, then it is money well spent. I have seen it written that hiking is a selfish hobby (maybe it is, maybe it isn't, I haven't decided) so something like this is showing respect for someone who cares about you's feelings.

J5man
03-31-2009, 19:57
dear mrs. hawkeye,
let your husband do his thing. he's a man. don't emasculate him. it'll make him a happier and better husband. seriously.
lone wolf

also give her the book, "Wild at Heart"

hawkeye
04-01-2009, 08:54
We talked it over last night and I found out the real reason why she hate me going by myself. More of a medical condition that is a lot better now. So I get to plan an overnight!

summitnh
04-02-2009, 15:18
You may hike solo but your never solo. There will always be hikers you know ahead of you and behind you.

DaSchwartz
04-02-2009, 17:17
I have a problem. My wife hates it when I went out by myself on overnight trips. She thinks it is not safe for me to hike alone.

I'm married and my wife worries when I go hiking. I also know that she is lonely when I go hiking but she won't admit this to me, but does to her friends. While I'm hiking, she's taking care of the house and the world for me. It's a tough burden for anyone, I really appreciate my wife letting me hike though.

Keeping contact with her is the key. Try to call her everyday.

Mongoose2
04-02-2009, 18:30
dear mrs. hawkeye,
lone wolf

Amen brother

Red Hat
04-03-2009, 10:57
Hawkeye, I think getting the Spot Messenger would be a comfort for her. My friend Stitch used one on our section hike over Spring Break. She would turn it on in the morning, then send an okay message when we made camp. Her husband followed her all day and that kept him from worrying so much. The Spot weighs about 8 ounces and seems to work by satellite everywhere.