PDA

View Full Version : Light camping sandals that AREN'T Crocs?

Rollergirl
03-31-2009, 11:48
Back in 2005 when I hiked on the AT for a while, I had these sweeeet ultralight weight teva's that were basically a piece of foam with some light webbing strung through them and some velcro. Apparently, they weren't big sellers as they no longer make them. Bummer. :(

I have been searching a bit for camp sandals for my latest hike in Spain and am only finding Crocs or flip flops as my options for lightweight sandals. Any other suggestions out there?

flemdawg1
03-31-2009, 11:53
Are you talking about these?
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___14003
http://www.campmor.com/wcsstore/Campmor//static/images/footwear/14003/14003_haz.jpg

Chacos makes some similar ones too.

1azarus
03-31-2009, 12:07
I love my neoprene slippers for camp shoes -- Warmstuff Distributing / The Underwear Guys.
271 Kiehners Road
Schuylkill Haven, PA 17972
USA
www.theunderwearguys.com

8 bucks a pair, 3 ounces or less depending on size...

Rollergirl
03-31-2009, 12:10
Sadly, no. Those tevas have the hard rubber outter sole. The tevas I had were honestly just like reef flip flop foam, no tread or traction. Almost like beach sandals would be in teva form. Alas, they are no longer listed in their product catalog.

Rollergirl
03-31-2009, 12:11
I love my neoprene slippers for camp shoes -- Warmstuff Distributing / The Underwear Guys.
271 Kiehners Road
USA
www.theunderwearguys.com (http://www.theunderwearguys.com)

Love this idea!!!! May order a pair to test out! THANKS!!

Spirit Walker
03-31-2009, 12:25
Several years ago we bought some very light sandals to use as campshoes at Montgomery Wards - only $4 and they lasted for years. I still have them, but the velcro is shot. I've looked for a replacement pair but haven't found anything but flip flops that are that light.

The neoprene crocs look good, if they have some sort of solid sole. I can't tell from the picture. I like having a camp shoe - but don't want to carry much weight or bulk - which lets out crocs.

Two Tents
03-31-2009, 12:37
HI! Just a thought-coulddincha get the bottoms off a set of flips and do a a prototype or two and make them?

Summit
03-31-2009, 12:48
271 Kiehners Road
USA

8 bucks a pair, 3 ounces or less depending on size...I just ordered a pair of those . . . cool! Look warmer and much lighter than my current Speedo river shoes, which are great except for the weight. The rubber sole is too thick and adds too much weight. Can't wait to get these.

seanb724
03-31-2009, 12:52
271 Kiehners Road
USA

So those have a hard sole? Can't tell from the picture.

Also, is there a loop on the back of each one? I like to carabine my camp shoes to the outside of my pack, partially because most camp shoes are bulky, but also, even when stopping for lunch, i like to get my feet out of my hiking shoes.

/Sean

Rollergirl
03-31-2009, 12:55
HI! Just a thought-coulddincha get the bottoms off a set of flips and do a a prototype or two and make them?

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I had already tried the do-it-myself route. I attempted a few different Target flip flop modifications but they don't last nearly long enough. Once it cost more than two pairs of REAL sandals, I gave up...it's time to find an already made solution!

burger
03-31-2009, 13:59
This isn't really an answer to your question, but it may help: I switched from boots to trail runners a year ago. Ever since then, I find that the trail runners are so light and easy on my feet, that I don't need camp shoes anymore. I wore boots on the AT, and at the end of the day, I couldn't wait to get out of those heavy, sweaty things and into my crocs. But in trail runners, once I'm done hiking, I don't even notice the shoes on my feet.

seanb724
03-31-2009, 14:02
This isn't really an answer to your question, but it may help: I switched from boots to trail runners a year ago. Ever since then, I find that the trail runners are so light and easy on my feet, that I don't need camp shoes anymore. I wore boots on the AT, and at the end of the day, I couldn't wait to get out of those heavy, sweaty things and into my crocs. But in trail runners, once I'm done hiking, I don't even notice the shoes on my feet.

Hmm, I have always worn trail runners instead of boots. But I still like to take them off at the end of the day, and even during any break of more than a few minutes. I think it works wonders to let the feet out in the air even if for 10 minutes while eating a fast lunch. :-)

Engine
03-31-2009, 14:38
I just purchased the Wal-Mart Croc knock-offs and while they aren't exactly light, they are much better than my old Teva knock-offs. 12.6 ounces for a pair of size 10 as opposed to 1 lb. 13 oz. for the old sandals. I'm still searching for something to use for river crossings that might come in below 7-8 ounces in size 10...

seanb724
03-31-2009, 14:44
I'm still searching for something to use for river crossings that might come in below 7-8 ounces in size 10...

This may come from my adventure racing days, but with the right trail runner and socks, there is no need to change shoes. A trail runner with a meshed upper that drains well, and a merino wool sock, and your feet are in the same state they were in before the river crossing within 5 minutes.

Now, it is bad to have wet feet all day, and that is one reason I like to take off my shoes and socks even on short 10-20 minute break. And then if the socks are wet, and the day has turned dry, I may put on dry socks and tie off my wet ones on my pack... (If it is raining or I know I'll be crossing a lot of streams, I don't bother changing...)

stinkytoe
03-31-2009, 16:26
271 Kiehners Road
USA

will these keep your feet somewhat protected from rocks, sticks, and things that might poke your feet while walking around camp? i love the idea of using these.

CowHead
03-31-2009, 16:46
I like my Keen sandals got traction and or great for those long hot hikes

saimyoji
03-31-2009, 17:08
i too wear sandals, but they're a little more than the tevas you describe (i haven't seen those in a long time).

http://www.merrellfootwear.org.uk/merrell-mens-chameleon-ii-web-leather_1760.jpg

amac
03-31-2009, 20:33
take a look at Teva Dozers.

daddytwosticks
04-01-2009, 07:51
Picked up a pair of flip-flop sandals at the local Dollar General. The sole was lightweight like a flip-flop and had velcro straps like sandals. Worked better around camp than flip-flops but NOT durable enough to hike great distances in. Cheap (like five bucks) and light - 10 ounces. Good luck. :)

1azarus
04-01-2009, 08:29
So those have a hard sole? Can't tell from the picture.

Also, is there a loop on the back of each one? I like to carabine my camp shoes to the outside of my pack, partially because most camp shoes are bulky, but also, even when stopping for lunch, i like to get my feet out of my hiking shoes.

/Sean

not much protection for your feet (no thickened or hard sole)-- i find that i put them on when i'm staying right by where i'm camped.

croc's are way more wearable if you want to do any walking in them -- i stopped carrying crocs only because of their weight -- and my feet feel fine in my trail shoes. i just wanted something really light to wear in camp -- especially for the mid-night pee run.

imagine the amount of protection you would get from a thick wool sock -- that's about it. i use a hammock, so i like that they go on and off easily, even with a sock. i used to use disposable light weight flip flops, and the toe strap just didn't work with socks... and i am stupidly weight-conscious and lyme disease conscious.

you'll get more foot protection if you leave your socks on -- in which case a slightly bigger size is probably best... and they are pretty snug, so you should probably order a little larger anyway. i wear a size 10 trail shoe and got the xl for summer use (no sock...) and the 2xl for winter use.

they come sewn together with a bit of fabric edging... no loop, if i remember correctly. whatever it was, i cut it off :<). they're small enough to stuff in any pocket, though.

i do think they give plenty of foot protection if you just use them in camp.

Mooselook Marty
04-01-2009, 11:34
will these keep your feet somewhat protected from rocks, sticks, and things that might poke your feet while walking around camp? i love the idea of using these.

in addition to Lazarus's comments, I might offer that you can get much more foot protection to the neoprene slippers by inserting an insole. A stiff insole works best, like Superfeet Green, as it stretches the slipper out nicely.

I also agree with Lazarus to order up a size, because they run small.

Marty

1azarus
04-01-2009, 11:44
in addition to Lazarus's comments, I might offer that you can get much more foot protection to the neoprene slippers by inserting an insole. A stiff insole works best, like Superfeet Green, as it stretches the slipper out nicely.

I also agree with Lazarus to order up a size, because they run small.

Marty
...and you can just take them out of your shoes for the evening so you don't have to carry extra weight!

Sirclimbsalot
04-01-2009, 12:43
So, how warm are these neoprene slippers with socks? What is the coldest temp anyone has used then down to? Would the high 30s or lower 40s be a reasonable expectation?

Kerosene
04-01-2009, 12:51
So, how warm are these neoprene slippers with socks? What is the coldest temp anyone has used then down to? Would the high 30s or lower 40s be a reasonable expectation?I wore this combination, with slip-on sandals, down into the mid-30's. While not exactly toasty, it was tolerable and better than my damp boots.

Note that these neoprene slippers, by themselves, are really only suitable for the shelter or tent floor, or perhaps around a dry campsite without many rocks. I do not find them suitable as a replacement for Crocs or lightweight sandals.

Speaking of lightweight sandals, I found mine at a Wal-Mart clearance, shaving 4 ounces from the weight of my size 10 Crocs, with improved "packability". Ask to bring a mini-scale into the store and pick the ones that work for you (avoid the flip-flops with toe-thongs if you want to wear socks, which you will a lot of the time).

Sirclimbsalot
04-01-2009, 17:08
Thanks for the feedback. For $8 and 3 oz, I think I'll give them a try. It would be nice if someone made something similar but with a sole just durable enough for hanging around camp.

Rollergirl
04-02-2009, 11:43
take a look at Teva Dozers.

Oh these are like really heavy duty compared to what I'm looking for...I suppose I'll just have to go with Crocs scoots if I *have* to. The neoprene liners also still are a neat concept.

If people still have ideas though, send 'em along...I'm not leaving until mid-June!

brooklynkayak
04-03-2009, 10:48
not much protection for your feet ...

croc's are way more wearable if you want to do any walking in them -- i stopped carrying crocs only because of their weight -- and my feet feel fine in my trail shoes. i just wanted something really light to wear in camp -- especially for the mid-night pee run.

I use something similar made for scuba and kayaking. No sole but warm, some protection and easy to get in and out of.

They are great for fording streams and walking on wet or muddy ground.
Crocks really suck in a stream as they are slippery when wet and it's easy to slip out of them and twist an ankle.

I have also used the Speedo water shoes and although I prefer them, they weigh a couple more ounces so it's not worth it now that I found these booties.

Wise Old Owl
04-03-2009, 15:31
271 Kiehners Road
USA
www.theunderwearguys.com (http://www.theunderwearguys.com/)

I love the red union suits.... :-?

Summit
04-09-2009, 22:16
i do think they give plenty of foot protection if you just use them in camp.Mine just arrived while I was out on the trail. They feel great on my feet but I do wonder how long they will last and it seems that stepping on pebbles and sticks is going to hurt. They definitely are light though. I'll test 'em out on my next hike.

D-wreck
04-09-2009, 23:38
I just received my slippers today, thanks for the suggestion!

For my size 11 feet they came in at 4 oz, where my girlfriends came in at 3 oz. My superfeet fit inside just fine, but the slippers alone where comfortable enough walking on a gravel driveway. I'll be bringing them along for the PCT next week.