PDA

View Full Version : Whites in May?

buff_jeff
03-31-2009, 17:36
Anybody know what I can expect, generally, from the Whites in mid-late May? Can I expect a lot of snow?

Thanks in advance.

Slo-go'en
03-31-2009, 18:25
There is still a fair amount of snow on the mountains at the moment, but it is going quickly. It should be pretty much all gone by mid may this year, maybe even late April. Could still be a bit muddy though, depends on how much rain we get later this spring.

YoungMoose
03-31-2009, 18:59
it would still be snow on the ground as well as probably getting pretty cold at night. wouldnt be surprised to see snow showers

buff_jeff
03-31-2009, 19:04
OK, sounds good. So, I shouldn't expect anything too crazy then.

YoungMoose
03-31-2009, 19:08
i wouldnt think so. Im near albany new york and there is no snow on the ground here. I am not to far from the whites but i bet there is still snow there.

bullseye
03-31-2009, 19:10

You should always expect something crazy in the Whites. Mt Washington gets snow every month of the year. Safe to say, always know the quickest route off the ridge just in case.

buff_jeff
03-31-2009, 19:15
You should always expect something crazy in the Whites. Mt Washington gets snow every month of the year. Safe to say, always know the quickest route off the ridge just in case.

Oh, I fully plan on bringing winter gear and anticipate some bad weather, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't heading into generally impassable conditions, like January or February.

Low Impact
03-31-2009, 19:48

I 100% agree. I live in MA and spend a good amount of time in the Whites - specifically on Franconia Ridge and in the Presidential Range. The White mountains can get HORRIBLE weather during every month of the year.

When you head up in late May it's a gonna be a toss up. You could have decent weather. The average high up on Washington in May is 41 degrees. HOWEVER - the average low is 29 degree... meaning - you could certainly get snowed on, etc.

Fun Fact: In 1997 - Washington still had 10 foot snow drifts on Memorial Day weekend.

Do your self a favor - educated yourself on the area you are hiking. In other words - note all available trails to get you off the ridge, down the mountain and into the valley safely - should everything go to hell. Believe me - THIS IS IN YOUR BEST INTEREST. It's always a huge bummer when other people have to go up and risk their safety because someone else was negligent with their own.

Check out "Not Without Peril - 120 Years of Misadventure on the Presidential Range". It'll give you a pretty good idea of just how easily things can get CRAZY on the ridge - at anytime of year.

Happy Trails.

Low Impact
03-31-2009, 19:53
i wouldnt think so. Im near albany new york and there is no snow on the ground here. I am not to far from the whites but i bet there is still snow there.

Sorry, I feel like I'm being knit-picky, but... Albany ain't no where near the Whites. There IS snow up there right now, and a whole lot of it. And chances are - they're still gonna be snow up there in May.

The Whites are serious business - no-joke hiking in a lot of place. Be careful.

bullseye
03-31-2009, 20:18
Fun Fact: In 1997 - Washington still had 10 foot snow drifts on Memorial Day weekend.

Ain't nothin' fun about that:rolleyes:.

Even less fun-I spent the night of 2-5-06 at Carter Notch hut in a 0 degree bag with record high for that night on Mt. Washington of 41. Maybe snowdrifts ain't so bad after all.......

peakbagger
03-31-2009, 21:04
By late May there will still be snow fields including the one on the back side of Jefferson that the trail crosses, but it will be more of a novelty than a problem. There can be nasty weather any day or night and you want to get an update on the forecast whenever you can. Not all the huts will be open and some are probably still on a caretaker basis, which means less crowds but no leftovers. You could run into a problem at Lake of Clouds as the hut wil not be open and that means the dungeon is your only option. Down low the black flies will be annoying, plan on bringing DEET.

summitnh
04-02-2009, 15:06
Check this site out.

http://www.outdoors.org/recreation/tripplanner/go/backcountry-weather.cfm

Deadeye
04-02-2009, 19:58
It's considered mud season in VT, NH and ME through Memorial Day. Hiking in the Whites before then will be damaging to the trail - some trails may be officially closed.

Panchito
04-02-2009, 20:36
Ditto everyone who said that there is still snow in the whites. We did Tuckerman's last Saturday and there was still a TON of snow. here is a good link

viewsfromthetop.com/forums/

Old Hillwalker
04-03-2009, 09:13
Some of these snow fields in the Whites last pretty long.

Here is me sitting in the snow on July 7th 2008. This was taken on the Jefferson snow field on the way to Madison on a fifteen plus mile loop up Glen Boulder trail across Boote Spur, Washington, Clay, Jefferson, Adams, Madison and down Osgood (AT) back to Pinkham.

Nice long day for this old man.

DavidNH
04-06-2009, 10:39
If you are hiking in the whites in May, every thing is elevation dependent. Low altitudes--say below 2000 feet-- you will probably be fine though there may well be problems with mud and or bugs.

If you want to be going up 4000+ foot peaks that is where the problem comes in. In early to mid May you can expect plenty of snow. Not the lovely winter snow, but the wet yucky stuff that will have you post holing kneed deep or worse. There generally isn't enough snow in enough places to warrant carrying snow shoes. Why have them for a 10 minute stretch? Course that 10 minute stretch could have some very deep snow in spots.

If you are going at the end of May most likely you won't encounter snow.

All that said, you could fine snow at any given elevation at any given time-- and especially over 3000 feet. Even if you DON"T get snow or see snow, you can expect any rain you experience to be of the cold and miserable variety. Almost forgot, the streams will be high so normally easy crossings could be a challenge (the easy rock hop in August may become a wading through fast knee deep water in May).

DavidNH

I would advise holding off you trip until at least Memorial day weekend. That way conditions will be much improved.

Pootz
04-06-2009, 11:07

I would not rule out crazy. The whites are completely capable of anything all year long. The Whites are a great place to hike but be properly prepared. I was there in August and had below freezing temps and snow. The day I after I cross Mt. Washington the following weather occurred:

High 36
Low 29
Peak Wind 94mph
Average Wind 54
.44" precipitation
Trace of snow.

This link will take you to the May 2008 weather summary. Enjoy your hike.

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/f6/2008/05.pdf

Pootz
04-06-2009, 11:17

The Whites are not a place to give advice about unless you know what your talking about. There is no comparison to Albany weather and 4000+ elevation in the whites.

The last time I was on top of Madison and it was raining and near freezing by the time I got down below tree line I was meeting people in shorts and cotton t-shirts at the bottom is was warm and sunny.

buff_jeff
04-06-2009, 12:09
Tentatively, I should be hitting the Whites around May 20-25. I don't make itineraries but that looks like where it will fall. I wouldn't wear cotton shorts and a t-shirt anytime of the year in the Whites; I just wanted to ensure that I wasn't hitting the Whites at one of the worst times of the year.

Thanks again for the advice.

Pootz
04-06-2009, 14:55
I was not suggesting you would go that unprepaired. The Whites are a just not a place to be taken lightly. Enjoy your hike.

Peaks
04-06-2009, 17:10
I agree with everyone's postings about snow until June (later in Tucks") and mud season. But, if you want an update on trail conditions, read trip reports on Views from the Top.

Lillianp
04-06-2009, 17:21
I've done two separate weekend hikes in the Whites in Mid-May. Neither one had spectacular conditions, but for the most part the snow and ice was gone-there was some on particular patches but nothing we couldn't handle with just our boots. The weather changed quickly and we were definitely cold a lot, temps during the night were fairly low (all I remember is that I was cold, I don't know the actual temp). I'd say they're doable, but you have to be careful. The first was near Cannon mountain, I believe and the other was on the Presidential range-a few mountains away from Washington. In the second we spent an afternoon in a hut, as it was cold and rainy.

Kirby
04-06-2009, 20:25
Won't be that much there. Enjoy.