PDA

View Full Version : Newfound Gap, GSNP

cravj1988
04-01-2009, 08:36
Is overnight parking allowed at Newfound Gap? Can you get a permit for the park there too?

Lone Wolf
04-01-2009, 08:40
yes. no.

sliderule
04-01-2009, 09:01
Can you get a permit for the park there too?

If you are referring to a backcountry permit, this site shows where you can get them. You cannot drive to Newfound Gao without driving past some of those locations.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/backcountry-camping.htm

cravj1988
04-01-2009, 09:20
Thanks Guys!

Hikes in Rain
04-01-2009, 09:24
And it's patrolled pretty heavily, as well as the tourist congestion, so it's pretty safe to leave a vehicle there.

Marta
04-01-2009, 14:58
Be aware that the road is closed when icy or snowy. You don't want be parked up there if bad weather hits, or your car will be on the wrong side of the gates.

sliderule
04-01-2009, 16:55
And it's patrolled pretty heavily, as well as the tourist congestion, so it's pretty safe to leave a vehicle there.

Apparently, you haven't seen all that broken window glass in the parking lot!!! Alum Cave as well, which is on the same well-patrolled road.

Bulldawg
04-01-2009, 17:08
Apparently, you haven't seen all that broken window glass in the parking lot!!! Alum Cave as well, which is on the same well-patrolled road.

That was the protected non hunted bears in the park that broke that glass most likely.

humunuku
04-01-2009, 17:19
Be aware that the road is closed when icy or snowy. You don't want be parked up there if bad weather hits, or your car will be on the wrong side of the gates.

Actually thats the best time to be there, as you have newfound gap all to yourself...if you do get locked in, just drive down to the gate and a range will be by shortly to let you out. Newfound gap is a nice place when its deserted and covered with snow

EAnderson
04-01-2009, 18:26

My experience has been that they leave the combination for the lock on your windshield. We've been "locked" in twice, and both times we were able to get out with no problems.

Marta
04-01-2009, 21:17
My experience has been that they leave the combination for the lock on your windshield. We've been "locked" in twice, and both times we were able to get out with no problems.

That's good to know. Thanks.

Hikes in Rain
04-02-2009, 10:13

No, I haven't. Every time I've stopped, however, I've exchanged pleasantries with a ranger. It's been a couple of years since I've been there, but in 06 I did leave my then-almost-new truck up there in November for four days without issue.

curtisvowen
04-02-2009, 13:22
I feel safer parking a car there long term then I do parking at a Wal-Mart for 20 minutes.

peakbagger
04-02-2009, 13:31
I felt a lot safer parking a car at the gap, then parking at the north end of the Park (talk about a remote spot !)

sliderule
04-02-2009, 14:41
No, I haven't. Every time I've stopped, however, I've exchanged pleasantries with a ranger. It's been a couple of years since I've been there, but in 06 I did leave my then-almost-new truck up there in November for four days without issue.

I have parked there many times also, without incident. Maybe that's because I leave nothing in the vehicle. I even empty the glove box and leave the door open so that anyone who looks will see that it's empty.

Most likely, those folks whose windows get broken out have left some valuable in plain sight.

OldStormcrow
04-03-2009, 09:56
I have parked there many times also, without incident. Maybe that's because I leave nothing in the vehicle. I even empty the glove box and leave the door open so that anyone who looks will see that it's empty.

Most likely, those folks whose windows get broken out have left some valuable in plain sight.
As a friend of mine discovered, never leave a cooler in your vehicle unless it is empty with the lid open. He got his window kicked in and a nice new soft cooler stolen late one Saturday night......all for just one can of Milwaukee's Best Light!

curtisvowen
04-03-2009, 11:01
As a friend of mine discovered, never leave a cooler in your vehicle unless it is empty with the lid open. He got his window kicked in and a nice new soft cooler stolen late one Saturday night......all for just one can of Milwaukee's Best Light!

A problem bear would do the same thing. They know what a cooler is all about.
Another Park regulation while at the campgrounds:
Coolers must be placed in vehicle trunk/storage area out of sight while away from campsite.
We had a bear kick out 1 car window, after seeing the cooler in the back seat, and then kick out another window to get out....pretty smart and hungry.