PDA

View Full Version : Gentle Ben

UnkaJesse
04-01-2009, 09:55
I'm a good friend of your son Troy. He just emailed me your slideshow. Congratulations on what you are doing. I know you're having a blast. I don't think we've ever met, but I'm the guy that put the hiking trip together to Wyoming that Troy did a few years back.

I his email, Troy mentioned your upcoming decision. I'd say finish your hike. You've got the rest of your life to work. Think of how proud you will be to have your boots and a picture of you next to the Katahdin summit sign hanging in Mountain Crossings. I'm sitting here chained to my desk wishing I could do what you are doing! My thru will have to wait until I'm your age. I'm jealous!

Based on what I saw in your pictures, you'll be out of the Smokies by the time you read this. You'll have already made it farther than Bryson did.

No Belay
04-09-2009, 18:29
If you see Gentle Ben ask him about the night he spent on Justis Creek just before Gooch Mountain Shelter. It's a horror story that demonstrates that it might be a good idea to have a little experience before you attempt winter backpacking. He's lucky his 3rd day on the trail wasn't his last day on earth.

TaTonka

UnkaJesse
04-09-2009, 20:28
I read about that in his journal. Sounds like he was humbled.