PDA

View Full Version : Kinda off topic help

stumpy
04-01-2009, 17:43
I am a school teacher and we take a group of middle school aged students to Land Between the Lakes every year. We design a new t-shirt for each year and I have been nominated to help with that task this year. I would like to have some of the block icons that are on state park signs (hiking, camping, fishing, etc.). Where would be the best place to find those on the web?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Egads
04-01-2009, 18:32
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=camping+icons&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2

stumpy
04-01-2009, 18:52
Thanks for the link, but that is one of the searches that I have already tried. The problem is with the size. I found a link to the actual National Park system Pictographs. I think I am going to go old school and print them out actual size, and blow them up through multiple photocopies.

Thanks for your help though! :D

Deerleg
04-01-2009, 19:03
Don't know if you have access to an over head or computer projector...but if you do you can make any size you want and than tracing the image... just my 2 cents. Good Luck.

YoungMoose
04-01-2009, 19:06
its good to hear that middle school kids are getting outside. last year when i was in ms no one wanted to be outside. Do you do this every year. I did something like this is 5th grade its probably the same.

YoungMoose
04-01-2009, 19:07
forgot to ask if the kids are forced to go

Egads
04-01-2009, 19:13
Thanks for the link, but that is one of the searches that I have already tried. The problem is with the size. I found a link to the actual National Park system Pictographs. I think I am going to go old school and print them out actual size, and blow them up through multiple photocopies.

Thanks for your help though! :D

Can you use this?

stumpy
04-01-2009, 19:22
We go every year. I am acutally a k-5 special ed. teacher, but they always need extra men to go with the students. Our school is a k-8 and the 7th grade goes every year to Land between the Lakes for three days and two nights (our K and 5th grade do 1 nighters at a 4-H camp). The students are not requirred to go and they have to pay a little extra to go. We have almost 100% participation (the school helps pay for those that need it). It is not "roughing it", as we stay in a dorm type building. They do however have to complete a 5 mile hike, a map and compass course, a survival shelter exercise, and some team building stuff. The kids (and adults) love it! Our principal goes every year and the kids love to have that type of interaction with him. Every year is totally different. Last year the kids loved being outside and knew how to keep themselves busy when we had down time (fishing, basketball, etc.). The year before the kids would just stand around and look at each other during down time, it was very strange! Our school is a rural school and most of our kids have a little bit of "outdoors" knowledge.

Deerleg- Great Idea. It has been a long time since I have had to use that method and I totally forgot. Technology has almost made the overhead a thing of the past!

stumpy
04-01-2009, 19:24
Egads- I think that will work. Thanks!!!!!! If I can't get it right tomorrow, I may be back for more help!!!!;)

YoungMoose
04-01-2009, 19:57
We go every year. I am acutally a k-5 special ed. teacher, but they always need extra men to go with the students. Our school is a k-8 and the 7th grade goes every year to Land between the Lakes for three days and two nights (our K and 5th grade do 1 nighters at a 4-H camp). The students are not requirred to go and they have to pay a little extra to go. We have almost 100% participation (the school helps pay for those that need it). It is not "roughing it", as we stay in a dorm type building. They do however have to complete a 5 mile hike, a map and compass course, a survival shelter exercise, and some team building stuff. The kids (and adults) love it! Our principal goes every year and the kids love to have that type of interaction with him. Every year is totally different. Last year the kids loved being outside and knew how to keep themselves busy when we had down time (fishing, basketball, etc.). The year before the kids would just stand around and look at each other during down time, it was very strange! Our school is a rural school and most of our kids have a little bit of "outdoors" knowledge.

Deerleg- Great Idea. It has been a long time since I have had to use that method and I totally forgot. Technology has almost made the overhead a thing of the past!thats cool with the 5 mile hike and the building of a survival shelter. wish i had a chance to go. thats great that you have almost 100% participation and that it is the kids choice.

stumpy
04-01-2009, 20:44
They really don't want to miss it. Since we are a k through 8 school, they here stories about the trip for years before it is there time to go. It really builds the trip up in thier eyes.