PDA

View Full Version : Steripen users

Stellbell3
04-01-2009, 18:25
So I am thinking about buying a steripen as a last minute replacement for my Katydyn Hiker filter, which is too bulky and heavy.

I will not go without any filtration and do not like to idea of chemicals in my body for five months while thru hiking.

My question is.......what do you do about dirty, murky water? Has anyone had an issue where they went without due to bad source. And I understand that the water needs to be as free as debris as possible.

What are peoples thoughts about Steripens??

Thanks
Stell

mindi
04-01-2009, 18:41
You can buy a prefilter that attaches to a nalgene. You just pour the water through the prefilter into your bottle. It takes all the silt/gunk out of it, then you zap it.

I bought my Steripen in a complete kit that came with the pen, water bottle, and prefilter.
:)Sugargrits

Wheeler
04-01-2009, 19:54
I had the same thinking as you for my upcoming PCT thru. I just took the steri-pen out for a 4-day shakedown,and was'nt really comfy with it. Half the time it seemed to turn off before I even got it in the water. When the sun was bright, I could'nt tell if the light was on/off and ended up spilling water all over myself while trying to shade it. Also, I think for it to be truly effective you would need another container for dipping and pouring.(I was just dunking my nalgene in a stream) the pen is not going to sterilize the threads, and shaking some clean water over them does'nt seem effective to me. Having another containerseems to cancel out the no-bulk factor. Add the fragility and the hard to find battery......I don't know. Maybe I'll sell you mine.Used only 4 days. I knew people who used them On the AT and loved them. Maybe it's just what your used to. I'm thinking of getting a gravity filter that uses a Katydin filter, that might solve a few problems.

SonrisaJo
04-01-2009, 20:03
I used my Steripen on a 2-week hike of the Superior Hiking Trail and only once did I encounter water that tasted "off" and that I didn't want to drink. Obviously the AT will be different, but there are so many streams to chose from that I think the taste at least shouldn't be an issue. If you have a bandana, cover your bottle with it, let the water seep in, then zap it. Works for me, maybe it'll work for you. Best of luck.

PS. Note on the batteries - I'm having boxes with mail and certain supplies sent to me along the way and I'm planning on buying the batteries in bulk and mailing them to myself along. Will the timing always work out? No way. But it'll cut down on the headache of searching for the right batteries.

Bilge Rat
04-01-2009, 20:07
I liked my Steripen, but then again I rarely used it. Most of the time I just dipped and drank...............yeah yeah I know.

4eyedbuzzard
04-01-2009, 21:01
Also, I think for it to be truly effective you would need another container for dipping and pouring.(I was just dunking my nalgene in a stream) the pen is not going to sterilize the threads, and shaking some clean water over them does'nt seem effective to me.
I think you're honestly a little misinformed on water "purity". I'd be willing to wager that after being subjected to UV from the steripen the water you wind up drinking has less viable pathogens than most municipal water supplies even if a few drops from the threads are consumed. The standards in place and applied to water from municipal water supplies don't mean that there is a total absence of pathogens, only that they are reduced to levels that won't normally cause illness. And unlike UV treatment, they are still capable of reproducing. FWIW, UV also does a better job on Giardia and Cryptosporidium contamination than any muni supply does with coarse filtration and chemical treatment.

...Add the fragility and the hard to find battery......I don't know...
Never had a problem with fragility so far. But, I haven't intentionally dropped it on a rock to find out though. I do handle it very carefully given the quartz lamp tube. Finding AA or CR123 lithiums depending upon the Steripen model shouldn't be that much of a problem. Yeah, you'll likely pay a lot more at a small store in a trail town than at WM or bigger grocery. The cheapest way would be to buy lithiums in bulk and mail drop or bounce box them.

Glebbber
04-01-2009, 21:18
I use a steripen and like it a lot.

If the water has more floaties than I am comftorable consuming, I strain it thru a bandana. real simple.

Murky water on the otherhand I dont consider a drinking water source. I would not even consider it one with a filter or chemicals. mountain streams dont get too murky. only stationary or low water bodies do. So I dont think you need to worry about it.

Someone mentioned that the light would turn off before they could get it in the water. Either they have a messed up unit or method. there are 2 electrode type things on the sides of the unit that ensure the light only turns on when the unit is submerged. So how the light could even turn on, let alone turn on than off, before he put it in the water is beyond me.

Marta
04-01-2009, 21:23
I got a Steripen last fall and have been using ever since. Love it.

Down here I'm not often dealing with murky water, but the couple times I have been I strain it through a bandana. If you're really concerned, you could always boil your water. Most sources along the AT just aren't that bad.

One advisory bulletin I read years ago about avoiding giardia (this was for overseas travelers, not hikers), stated that after you washed your food, you should blot off all the free water. I apply the same logic for bottle threads and caps, if the spirit moves me. Zap the water in the bottle then dry the inside of the cap and the threads.

Funkmeister
04-01-2009, 21:51
You didn't ask, but you might consider the MSR Miox thing. Looks less fragile at first glance. I don't have any experience with the Steripen, but I do with the Miox, and I think it's great. A bit more money, and it takes CR123s, but they aren't as difficult to find as a few years ago.

I quit carrying it, but used to be concerned about the floatie issue and formerly carried the first stage (prefilter, I think they call it) of the First Need setup. Cost about $10 or $12, filtered to 10microns. Ended up I never used it on the AT (out west, in the cisterns under the windmills, I used the whole filter setup) and it was a not worth the trouble to carry the hosing and connectors for two Platypuses for a gravity feed.

Lots of people here seem to enjoy the Steripen, and when I got my Miox at REI, the salesperson told me they sold Steripens about 5:1 over the Miox.

Summit
04-01-2009, 21:56
As a happy Steripen user for over two years and several week-long 75ish mile hikes, I can't add much to the good answers given to the 'questionables' about the product. I will add regarding fragility that I've dropped mine a couple of times on hard ground (not rock) and it's kept on tickin' but some people that are really hard on stuff (break just about everything they touch) should probably avoid it.

I also bought the complete package with the water bottle and pre-filter . . . have hardly used the pre-filter and the cap threads stripped on the water bottle, which is too heavy a bottle anyway. I think on the AT for as little a problem as murky water will be, the bandanna filtering solution makes good sense.

Rain Man
04-01-2009, 22:12
. . . have hardly used the pre-filter and the cap threads stripped on the water bottle, ...

I think the threads on that pre-filter are so weird. It really takes FORCE to screw it on and off a Nalgene and that's in my kitchen with dry hands. I hate to think about wet, mud, cold, etc. I guess I'll see.

I took it back to REI thinking the threads were stripped, but we discovered the new ones in the boxes were the same way. Bad design.

Rain:sunMan

Wheeler
04-01-2009, 23:49
I think you're honestly a little misinformed on water "purity". I'd be willing to wager that after being subjected to UV from the steripen the water you wind up drinking has less viable pathogens than most municipal water supplies even if a few drops from the threads are consumed. The standards in place and applied to water from municipal water supplies don't mean that there is a total absence of pathogens, only that they are reduced to levels that won't normally cause illness. And unlike UV treatment, they are still capable of reproducing. FWIW, UV also does a better job on Giardia and Cryptosporidium contamination than any muni supply does with coarse filtration and chemical treatment.

Never had a problem with fragility so far. But, I haven't intentionally dropped it on a rock to find out though. I do handle it very carefully given the quartz lamp tube. Finding AA or CR123 lithiums depending upon the Steripen model shouldn't be that much of a problem. Yeah, you'll likely pay a lot more at a small store in a trail town than at WM or bigger grocery. The cheapest way would be to buy lithiums in bulk and mail drop or bounce box them.

I imagine you're probably right. Ten years ago I hardly even thought of water quality. Like I said, maybe I'm just not used to it.

Many Walks
04-02-2009, 00:17
You can buy a prefilter that attaches to a nalgene. You just pour the water through the prefilter into your bottle. It takes all the silt/gunk out of it, then you zap it.

I bought my Steripen in a complete kit that came with the pen, water bottle, and prefilter.
:)Sugargrits
We started with an MSR filter then switched to the same Steripen system as Mindi and loved it. We also got water from the source with a Coghlan's nylon water bag. It holds 2.5 gals, weighs 3.5 oz, has good handles to carry and hang it, dries quick and packs small. We let the floaties settle in camp before filling the nalgene with the prefilter and zapping it. It worked great for us. We got water out of some pretty nasty places, strained and treated. We also drank directly from the ones that looked good. Just go with what you're comfortable with.

Compass
04-02-2009, 01:02
The Prefilter has an O-ring to keep the untreated water of the threads. The O-ring seal makes it a little harder to put on a dry nalgene and some knock-off bottles do not fit the prefilter at all.

The Mechanical Man
04-02-2009, 01:47
So I am thinking about buying a steripen as a last minute replacement for my Katydyn Hiker filter , which is too bulky and heavy.

I will not go without any filtration and do not like to idea of chemicals in my body for five months while thru hiking.

My question is.......what do you do about dirty, murky water? Has anyone had an issue where they went without due to bad source. And I understand that the water needs to be as free as debris as possible.

What are peoples thoughts about Steripens??

Thanks
Stell

Your Katydyn Hiker filter is a good 1st choice.

summitnh
04-02-2009, 15:16
Make sure you put your steripen somewhere safe in your pack. You don't want to break it when you fall. And you WILL fall.

flemdawg1
04-02-2009, 16:03
Another happy Steripen customer. I use a Classic that runs on AAs and came w/ the Nalgene prefilter. and I agree the PF is abit goofy, but does the job. Basically whenever I'm hiking w/ friends, they don't ever get their hikers out, we just take turns using my Steripen since its so quick/convenient.

Wheeler: you have to give the Steripen a second or 2 to "boot up". Wait for the green LED to blink before putting it in the water.

B—To treat between 16 and 32 fl. oz. (0.5 – 1.0 litre) of water:

Follow Steps 1 and 2 as indicated on front.

3 Push On/Off button once – green LED will flash for up
to 15 seconds indicating SteriPEN™ is ready to use.

Note: SteriPEN™ will not function unless this step
is completed before immersing lamp in water.

http://steripen.com/PDF/QuickStartEnglish.pdf

Boudin
04-02-2009, 16:27
I used my Steripen on the PCT and didn't have any problems. If you are a little freaked by floaties though I don't think the Steripen is for you. A lot of people suggested using a bandana to filter the floaties. It seems to me that the bandana that has been in your pack and used for god knows what and has come in contact with all sorts of dirty things in your pack is going to be worse than the floaties themselves. I just zap it and stain them through my teeth. (You can floss later.) I was drinking some freshly zapped water from the base of the Mojave Dam and noticed horse crap in the water. I am a little bit of a germ freak, so it was unnerving, but I didn't get sick. I'm sure that I have had worse water before.....I just didn't know it.

Cannibal
04-02-2009, 17:58
I have used my SteriPen on the Florida Trail and the AT; love it! Just throw the prefilter away, it's a heavy useless piece of junk IMO. The foot of a pair of pantyhose works much better and weighs nothing. If you have to pull from really mucky water, just let it sit for 30 minutes or so; all the crud will settle on the bottom. Then you can pour off and treat. I use the Classic model so that the batteries from my old-ass camera are interchangeable.

sarbar
04-02-2009, 23:58
In regards to MicroPur tablets and Aquamira liquid and tablets? It is the same type used in many municipal water supplies. There is nothing to fear using them for extended periods - if you drink city water daily, well you are already consuming it!

Now iodine pills are a different game. Those you don't want to ingest for long periods!

As for any water with floaties? Strain it through a bandana just for that purpose.

As well....consider this first though: if you are traveling in a 3rd world country you need a way to kill disease as well such as Heptatis A. Most filters will not remove it - you need a step up, a purifier. If you drink water in areas with agriculture or where old mining was done your water needs even more treatment from runoff. Research where you will hike and use accordingly.

Fiddleback
04-03-2009, 11:40
FWIW, UV also does a better job on Giardia and Cryptosporidium contamination than any muni supply does with coarse filtration and chemical treatment.

Here, even little ol' Missoula added UV as one of the steps in water treatment and municipal systems worldwide are doing the same. One of the drives of that, particularly in Europe but here in the U.S. as well, was the giardia levels/breakouts in the 'clean' water being piped in the systems. Older chlorination techniques and coarse filtration were not getting the job done.

FYI, there's a method of water disinfection using sunlight and clear, plastic (PET) pop bottles. Found here, http://www.sodis.ch/Text2002/T-TheMethod.htm

FB

SGT Rock
04-03-2009, 11:56
So which model is reccomended? I looked at the comparison chart and it seems the Adventurer would do what you want and it also seems the Protector/Traveler is the same device.

Summit
04-03-2009, 12:04
I have the classic - they didn't have the other newer choices when I got it.

Here's what to consider:

JurneyLCD:
Pros: Lighter, LED displaying battery level
Cons: CR batteries not as easy to find along AT

Classic:
Pros: Cheaper - REI had them recently for $49. AA batteries readily available - even the Lithium ones becoming easy to find.
Cons: Heavier, no battery level indicator.

Now to decide . . . :)

Cannibal
04-03-2009, 12:05
Doesn't the classic also treat more water quicker?

SGT Rock
04-03-2009, 12:10
Not according to the comparison chart:

http://www.steripen.com/comparison.html

As to batteries. I know how to get cheap CR123. Buy in bulk from Surefire. I've probably got a few around the house still.

Battery usage:

http://www.steripen.com/batterytesting.html#advent-travel_batteries

When the things first came out I wasn't sure I could trust them. I figured they have been around long enough that if there were any big problems with the system they would be known by now.

SGT Rock
04-03-2009, 12:11
Batteries for you guys: http://www.surefire.com/12-Pack-Batteries

catfishrivers
04-03-2009, 12:27
I have the adventurer. One drawback is that the adventurer model does not work seemlessly with the prefilter. You need to remove the filter from the bottle to get the adventurer in, whereas the other models are designed to be inserted right in the filter without removing it, which prevents any contaminated water from getting in the thread of the bottle. I dry out the threads with a piece of shamwow.

SGT Rock
04-03-2009, 14:36
Just looking at this option. Looks like a liter is the most one of these things can treat at a time. For users, what is your usage strategy while hiking/camping.

Cannibal
04-03-2009, 14:41
They fit nicely into a wide mouth Gatorade or water bottle. I just filled one of those and treated. At camp, I'd fill my nalgene canteen and pour into the smaller bottles as needed to treat.

SGT Rock
04-03-2009, 14:45
Any special consideration with packing one?

I'm thinking of getting one. My wife has RA, and the drugs are reducing her immunity. I currently use Iodine and have been JUST fine. But I have good immunity, have been exposed to and recovered from lots of cooties, and have been vaccinated against more things than a dairy cow. I'm thinking that to keep her healthy a SteriPen could be a good solution.

I have read enough about filters to know if you really want to be protected you need to filter and treat before the cooties are all dead.

SGT Rock
04-03-2009, 14:56
I just found what might be a good deal on a SteriPen Traveler. Anyone that has a steripen have an opinion of this model?

Wise Old Owl
04-03-2009, 15:14
I am glad you covered the batteries, Rock I would be on the fence looking for 123's in a trail town....

SGT Rock
04-03-2009, 15:18
They sell them in lots of places if you know where to look. Most grocery stores and Drug Stores sell them with camera stuff. They are not cheap. But if you get them in bulk you can mail drop them on a long hike, or just carry a spare set on a short hike. The CR123 is a lithium battery so it doesn't weigh much, has a long shelf life, and works better in the cold. I also notices the SureFire batteries were some of the better performing ones for this application.

SGT Rock
04-03-2009, 15:25
I just found what might be a good deal on a SteriPen Traveler. Anyone that has a steripen have an opinion of this model?
Never mind. I found this in their faq:

6. What is the difference between the Adventurer and Traveler Models?

The Adventurer and Traveler models are the same in every way except for their color.

Cannibal
04-03-2009, 15:56
Honestly, mine stays strapped to the outside of my pack. It came with a neoprene 'sheath' that acts as pretty reliable padding. I want it easily accessible and it is. I have no idea how many uses I've gotten out of it. Since I got it, I've probably put in roughly 2900-3100 trail miles. Never had a single problem.

I'm knocking on wood now!

Wags
04-03-2009, 16:25
summit the classic does have a low battery indicator. i'm not sure off the top of my head but it's in the sequence of blinking red/green lights - your manual or steripen.com should be able to tell you which to look for. i personally prefer to use the classic despite the weight penalty just b/c of the AA batteries

i too just keep mine in the neoprene sheath that cannibal mentioned. i also cut a small 1"x1" section of car chamoix and stick it in the sheath to dry off the metal prongs after each use, especially handy if you're filtering more than 1 L at a time.

flemdawg1
04-03-2009, 16:31
Just looking at this option. Looks like a liter is the most one of these things can treat at a time. For users, what is your usage strategy while hiking/camping.
I fill my Nalgene a liter/qt at time, zap it, then pour into my bladder. I've zapped my 2l bladder twice a few times I was less skeptical of purity (prob taking a chance).

4eyedbuzzard
04-03-2009, 18:04
Batteries for you guys: http://www.surefire.com/12-Pack-Batteries

Every so often LLBean has the dozen box of Sure Fire CR123's at $20. If you've got a store near you or an LLBean CC(free shipping), it's a good deal.

A new set of batteries will filter some 40 to 50 liters of water, so it's likely good for at least a week to 10 days of hiking if you don't treat the water you use for cooking(you heat/boil it anyway). I rarely go that long, so I don't carry spares when hiking. I just start with a fresh set each time and then I use up the "used" batteries in a Streamlight tactical flashlight that I use at work where I always have an extra set around anyway.

Cannibal
04-03-2009, 18:36
A new set of batteries will filter some 40 to 50 liters of water, so it's likely good for at least a week to 10 days of hiking if you don't treat the water you use for cooking(you heat/boil it anyway).
Are these your results or from a spec sheet? If they are your results, what model are you using? During my 6 months on the AT, I only changed the batteries 3 times.

SonrisaJo
04-03-2009, 18:38
Has anyone heard of Battery Junction? They've got a deal even better than Surefire, check it out:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/duraacell-cr123a.html

Anyone know if this is legit?

Marta
04-03-2009, 19:11

I'm thinking of getting one. My wife has RA, and the drugs are reducing her immunity. I currently use Iodine and have been JUST fine. But I have good immunity, have been exposed to and recovered from lots of cooties, and have been vaccinated against more things than a dairy cow. I'm thinking that to keep her healthy a SteriPen could be a good solution.

I have read enough about filters to know if you really want to be protected you need to filter and treat before the cooties are all dead.

I keep mine (standard model--I was too cheap for spring for the higher priced ones before I decided I liked the thing) in its sheath in the gallon ziplock I keep my "today" food in. No problems so far. I really like the speed of operation compared to Aqua Mira or tablets.

And the fact that spring water tastes like spring water, and creek water tastes like creek water, instead of city water. For water that doesn't taste so great, there's drink powder.:banana

didymus128
04-03-2009, 20:45
has anyone has experience using a steripen with a hydration bladder? the kid are rei mentioned that the uv might over time harm the material the bladder is made of. How much water can a steripen purify at a time?

Wags
04-03-2009, 23:05
mine does up to a liter. i just zap it in my nalgene then pour that into my platy

didymus128
04-03-2009, 23:09
thanks! anyone know if there are any uv purifiers out there that can do more than a liter at a time?