PDA

View Full Version : My gear list,let me know what you think

insider2185
04-01-2009, 19:53
I am starting the trail at the end of this month; that would give me about 5 months to finish my thru. I have been doing tons of research and getting pretty excited, and figured it might do some good to put my gear list on here. So let me know what you think.

Things that I will carry:
-Osprey Atmos 50
-North Face Cat's Meow 20 degree with compression sack (Its a bit big, but I don't want to switch bags)
-Thermarest Prolite 3
-MSR Pocket Rocket plus 8 oz canister fuel
-AT Thruhiker's Companion (Yes, no map. Figured if I really want one, then I could just pick one up)
-Pocket Knife
-Petzl Tikka Headlamp
-Beanie
-Rain Jacket and pants
-Sierra Designs Microfleece
-Smartwool socks (3pair total)
-Tarptent Contrail plus stakes and pole
-camera
-Water Bladder
-Pack Cover
-2 1L water bottles
-Biking Shorts (2 pair) I like to hike in these to prevent chaffing
-Lighter
-small waterproof camera case
-Thermals (top and bottom)
-small modified first aid kit
-spoon
-pot with lid
-homemade windscreen
-Tooth brush and paste
-campsuds (or some other general camp soap)
-Cell phone (relatives making me bring it, especially since I will be starting out solo)
-cord (for bear bag or general use)
-micropur (really don't like filters, plus I have a ton of these left from previous smaller hiking trips)
-toilet paper
-pen and paper
-bandanna
-Chaco's (to wear around camp and when not much hiking is being done)
-food (buy along the way)
-water

I will be wearing convertible pants (mainly with the legs off and in my bag), coolmax t-shirt, socks, and hiking boots. Going to start off in boots and then probably switch to trail runners; both I currently have and used in hiking. I will also add another layer plus gloves when I hit the Whites. Does this sound right? Chargers for phone and camera are probably going to go in a bounch box.

Let me know if I am forgetting anything. Thanks guys!

Ranc0r
04-01-2009, 20:13
I don't see any shelter listed. Boy, are YOU gonna be popular pulling into the blights (shelters) late and everyone HAS to make room for ya!

What haven't you listed that is going to find its way into that pack? Have you weighed your pack yet?

SGT Rock
04-01-2009, 20:56
I rearranged your list a little to group it.

I am starting the trail at the end of this month; that would give me about 5 months to finish my thru. I have been doing tons of research and getting pretty excited, and figured it might do some good to put my gear list on here. So let me know what you think.

Things that I will carry:
-Osprey Atmos 50
-Tarptent Contrail plus stakes and pole
-North Face Cat's Meow 20 degree with compression sack (Its a bit big, but I don't want to switch bags)
-Thermarest Prolite 3
Pack cover?

-AT Thruhiker's Companion (Yes, no map. Figured if I really want one, then I could just pick one up)
Compass? You might try starting with a map and then decide if you don't need it later. Just sayin'

-Pocket Knife
-Petzl Tikka Headlamp
Spare batteries

-Beanie
-Thermals (top and bottom)
-Rain Jacket and pants
-Sierra Designs Microfleece
-Smartwool socks (3pair total)
-Chaco's (to wear around camp and when not much hiking is being done)
-Biking Shorts (2 pair) I like to hike in these to prevent chaffing
I know you said you would pick up gloves later, I would reccomend getting them when you start. A cheap pair of liners will make you more comfortable when in camp. Those mountains can get cold even in May.

-camera
-small waterproof camera case

-Water Bladder
-Pack Cover
-2 1L water bottles
-MSR Pocket Rocket plus 8 oz canister fuel
-Lighter
-spoon
-pot with lid
-homemade windscreen
-cord (for bear bag or general use)
-food (buy along the way)
-water
-micropur (really don't like filters, plus I have a ton of these left from previous smaller hiking trips)

You may want to get a sack for a bear bag. You probably only need one bottle.

-small modified first aid kit
-Tooth brush and paste
-campsuds (or some other general camp soap)
-toilet paper

-Cell phone (relatives making me bring it, especially since I will be starting out solo)
-pen and paper
-bandanna

I will be wearing convertible pants (mainly with the legs off and in my bag), coolmax t-shirt, socks, and hiking boots. Going to start off in boots and then probably switch to trail runners; both I currently have and used in hiking. I will also add another layer plus gloves when I hit the Whites. Does this sound right? Chargers for phone and camera are probably going to go in a bounch box.

Let me know if I am forgetting anything. Thanks guys!
Duct tape
Watch
Poles?
Book?
MP3/FM?

Blissful
04-01-2009, 21:33
I don't see any shelter listed. Boy, are YOU gonna be popular pulling into the blights (shelters) late and everyone HAS to make room for ya!

What haven't you listed that is going to find its way into that pack? Have you weighed your pack yet?

He has a tent listed. :)

Blissful
04-01-2009, 21:37
Don't need two pairs of shorts if you have convertibles too. Maybe one pair.
Chacos are really heavy for camp shoes.
Are you the one who made wind screen specifically for a pocket rocket? (can't remember, someone did) If it's not, I wouldn't bring one with a canister stove.

I think maps are important, but that's me.

Looks pretty good to me. Have super trip!

Pokey2006
04-01-2009, 21:45
Rock has good suggestions. I'd also throw in a balaclava, along with some gloves. You could need them into Virginia; you'll know when to bounce them up to New England.

Only bring one pair of biking shorts to hike in. You can always rinse them out in camp at night if they start getting nasty between town stops.

Lost the pocketknife and rain pants.

daddytwosticks
04-02-2009, 07:37
I'm not a thru-hiker but just a general question...I own an Atmos 50, Contrail, and Prolite 3 short...will you be able to carry all this stuff and food for x number of days in the Atmos 50? I've owned a Cat's Meow in the past (sold it) and it can be a real space hog, even compressed. Good luck and happy hiking! :)

SGT Rock
04-02-2009, 08:06
He can probably make it if he puts some of that stuff on the outside. I've got a pack with a 2400 CI main bag I can get my winter load and 4 days food in if I put my tarp, raingear, and pad outside the main bag.

summitnh
04-02-2009, 15:14
Just came back from doing the first 240 miles of the AT. Found that most hikers wanted a look at the trail profile for the day. The Appalachian Pages was popular out there. Your book and no map leaves you profileless--is that a word?

hopefulhiker
04-02-2009, 17:16
I would consider dropping the tent pole and carrying at least one adjustable hiking pole.. Also even with a tent you might need earplugs..a lot of snoring going on at campsites.

insider2185
04-03-2009, 13:27
Thanks guys, for the great advice...

I think I mentioned or meant to mention that I already have a pack cover and a shelter. Other than that, I guess I just needed confirmation on the amount of clothing I am planning on bringing. I will take the advice on the gloves.

As far as the bike shorts that I will be hiking in, I was trying to mean those compression (underarmor-like) shorts that fit close to your body. I haven't had any trouble fitting everything in my pack. And like Rock said, I could always put my bag on the outside for all those long hauls.

Once again thanks for the advice!

insider2185
04-03-2009, 13:28
Oh yeah, I did build my own windscreen, but I haven't posted my model on here so I think you have the wrong guy.

reddenbacher
04-03-2009, 14:56
drop the camera case get waterproof camera,and palstic bag.prop the rain gear and get a packa

maxNcathy
04-03-2009, 15:24
If it all weighs under 15 pounds before food and water your choices and gear weights are wise enough in my opinion.

insider2185
04-03-2009, 20:13
If it all weighs under 15 pounds before food and water your choices and gear weights are wise enough in my opinion.

its a bit over 20 before food and water. not sure exactly, don't have my sheet in front of me