PDA

View Full Version : 7 Day Section Hike Near Damascus - Advice Please

Sal
04-01-2009, 21:11
I'm planning a 7 day backpack trip next week in the southern VA/North Carolina area and would love some help. We're arriving at the Greensboro, NC airport and might have to rent a car to get to Damascus. Are there any other transportation options from the airport to a point on the trail and/or Damascus? Also, can anyone suggest a good place to get shuttled to for a moderately paced and scenic 7 day trip? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Lone Wolf
04-01-2009, 21:18
the nearest bus station is in Marion, Va. 30 miles from Damascus.

the best place to start is in Atkins, 75 miles north of Damascus and hike back

waywardfool
04-02-2009, 01:56
Several years ago, I did a loop with the Iron Mountain Trail (the old AT up til the mid-70's...it was the first part of the AT I ever hiked on). We started at Grayson Highlands (Massie Gap), N on the AT, cut over to IMT, S to Damascus (for a burger), back up to Grayson Highlands SP. You get all the scenics of the Grayson Highlands area, plus you just may not see anybody at all on the Iron Mtn Trail (especially if you are on that part during the week and miss the weekend horse folks). Seems it's around 75 miles, I fergit. Check it out for a good loop hike option without having to fork out for a shuttle.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22546&highlight=iron+mountain+trail

johnnybgood
04-02-2009, 02:47
Ditto the hike that Lone Wolf suggested .
After your section , hike the Virginia Creeper Trail right there in Damascus.

Sal
04-02-2009, 09:26
Thanks everyone. This is helpful.