PDA

View Full Version : Flying with a Canister Stove

Johnny Thunder
04-01-2009, 21:25
What's the procedure for flying with a canister stove? Obviously, I'm not taking the fuel cell. Can I fly with a slightly used burner?

Last year I flew with a used trangia and had no problems. Just wondering.

G. Rabbit
04-01-2009, 21:36
I flew with a used one last year (the stove, no fuel). It was in my checked bag and was one of the few things they didn't have a problem with.

Johnny Thunder
04-01-2009, 21:38
I flew with a used one last year (the stove, no fuel). It was in my checked bag and was one of the few things they didn't have a problem with.

Go on...

Funkmeister
04-01-2009, 21:41
The procedure is pack it well. As there is no compressed gas and no flammable fuel, no problem.

Just for fun, go online and look for the prohibited items list and print it out for the TSA screener if necessary.

Seems you have already thought out how to supply yourself with fuel upon your arrival. But it's why I always used an automobile gasoline stove while flying. Or an alcohol stove. Or once I used airplane fuel, drained from the petcock of the wing from a rented airplane. That was a long time ago, before the popularity of cannister or alcohol stoves.

But anyway, a used unfueled cannister stove shouldn't be a problem.

Happy travels.

Blissful
04-01-2009, 21:44
I plan to pack my pocket rocket in the red case it came in and put it in my duffel bag of gear. And hoping it's there when I arrive.

Funkmeister
04-01-2009, 22:08
Okay...maybe I should have said something differently. When I was typing the part about 'pack it well', I was thinking about the time American Airlines 'modified' my Dragonfly stove while in transit somewhere between Providence and Denver. They claimed it's natural fragile nature made them not responsible for its damage. As I now recall, your stove comes in a nice bit of plastic to prevent such modification.

My apologies.

G. Rabbit
04-01-2009, 22:46
Go on...

To start, if you fly one-way and buy a ticket within 24 hrs of flight they put every single red-flag code there is all over your boarding pass. Unusual baggage just makes it worse.
... the bite valve on my camelbak got pinched when my checked bag was inspected and leaked the 1/8 cup of water left in it onto the table. For some reason the grumpy lady freaked :-?. Trekking poles were considered weapons (that's why they were in the checked bag, duh). There was some question about my empty gatorade bottle and whether there was anything hidden in my sleeping pad (???). She couldn't figure out where the clips were to open my backpack and then tried to yank everything out at the same time. It didn't work so well. She was so fed up with backpacking gear after it all and called me over to repack it (clearly against the rules). This was just for my checked bag. After that I got asked silly questions and patted down a few times

Next time I'll be putting everything separate in a simple duffle bag and taking my empty pack as a carry on bag. That may make it easier. I was in a hurry last time and couldn't scrape up a decent duffle bag in time :datz

JaxHiker
04-02-2009, 09:07
Damn, really makes me want to fly with a pack. I can't help but wonder if these mostly ludicrous "security" measurements have really had any positive impact.

Jester2000
04-04-2009, 11:02
When I've flown I've put everything, including my pack, in a large duffle. It makes it easier for them to go through my stuff if they have to, and it's less likely that the pack straps/clips/doodads will get damages by handlers.

Different airlines have different policies regarding stoves, and employees aren't always aware of the policies. The best thing you can do is either print out the policy from an airline's website, or, if you can't find it there, send an email describing what you want to do and asking confirmation that it's okay, and printing out the response email. Front-line employees are more accomodating if they can pass the buck (and the possible blame) on to someone else.

I would also recommend going to TSA.gov and printing out the regulations there and carrying them with you. TSA employees are also more likely to err on the side of banning something if they don't know the specific rule. For example, you can actually carry on a stove. Here's the rule from TSA.gov:

"Camp Stoves - These can travel as carry-on or checked luggage only if they are empty of all fuel and cleaned so that there are no vapors or residue left. Simply emptying the fuel container will leave flammable vapors. We recommend that you ship the fuel containers to your destination ahead of time - passengers frequently have to leave them at the checkpoint because of fuel vapors."

There's a list of camping item rules under "Traveling with Special Items." Print it out and have it with you when you check your bag and when you go through security. Information is power.

Funny enough, your stove is fine, but gel insoles in your shoes are verboten.

jigsaw
04-13-2009, 17:41
ive flown to the trail for the last 7 years with no problems. like jester said i put every thing in a large duffel bag hiking poles on bottom my pocket rocket in its little red case buried inside my pack.i get a little tag saying ive been searched but maybe just lucky but ive had no problems