PDA

View Full Version : Sale on Western Mountaineering bags!

Engine
04-02-2009, 06:57
I just payed 200.00 for a new WM Caribou MF, 85.00 off the msrp :) at Northern Lights Trading Co. I noticed they have discounted many other WM products as well and since that doesn't happen very often I thought I'd let you all know.

I have NFI in Northern lights btw.

Yukon
04-02-2009, 07:35
Hmmm....the Megalite 30 for $277, that's not bad at all :-?

4eyedbuzzard
04-02-2009, 07:40
Hmmm....the Megalite 30 for $277, that's not bad at all :-?

:-? Nah, more gear. My wife would shoot me...

:-?
Maybe she'd miss...

Engine
04-02-2009, 07:51
:-? Nah, more gear. My wife would shoot me...

Maybe she'd miss...

If she throws you out, you'll have a warm place to sleep.:D

4eyedbuzzard
04-02-2009, 07:56
:-? Temptation... :eek:

Rcarver
04-02-2009, 09:32
Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered a Caribou.

Engine
04-02-2009, 13:00
Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered a Caribou.

No problem, I've been searching for the right bag for 2 weeks and when I saw that deal I knew someone would appreciate it.

skinewmexico
04-02-2009, 17:41
I'd do a Caribou, if I hadn't just bought a Megalite, and a used Atom. Still tempting though.

Rcarver
04-02-2009, 21:05
Engine, did you have a problem getting charged double when you ordered you bag from Northern Lights Trading Co? I always like to check my bank account after I order something. Well, I checked this afternoon and they and charged me twice for the Caribou. When I called to ask them about it, I was told it is a safe guard for them that my account is real. I have never heard of this before. I have ordered a lot of items off line and this is the first time for this to happen to me. I was told that the second charge will taken off my bank account tomorrow. Did you notice if they had done the same thing to you?

Engine
04-02-2009, 21:34
Engine, did you have a problem getting charged double when you ordered you bag from Northern Lights Trading Co? I always like to check my bank account after I order something. Well, I checked this afternoon and they and charged me twice for the Caribou. When I called to ask them about it, I was told it is a safe guard for them that my account is real. I have never heard of this before. I have ordered a lot of items off line and this is the first time for this to happen to me. I was told that the second charge will taken off my bank account tomorrow. Did you notice if they had done the same thing to you?

I just checked and only 1 charge is showing...Northern Lights is a reputable dealer according to some internet research I did. I imagine it should be nothing to worry about, but I would be certain the 2nd charge is gone in 24 hours. If for some strange reason it isn't, just dispute the charge with your bank and they will handle it for you. Sorry that happened...:(

Rcarver
04-02-2009, 21:39
Thanks for the info of the sale. Hopefully it will all be cleared up tomorrow.

DapperD
04-02-2009, 22:15
Engine, did you have a problem getting charged double when you ordered you bag from Northern Lights Trading Co? I always like to check my bank account after I order something. Well, I checked this afternoon and they and charged me twice for the Caribou. When I called to ask them about it, I was told it is a safe guard for them that my account is real. I have never heard of this before. I have ordered a lot of items off line and this is the first time for this to happen to me. I was told that the second charge will taken off my bank account tomorrow. Did you notice if they had done the same thing to you?Some retailers do indeed do this( from what I understand) to test the validity of the account, however it is usually done (which I believe is the appropriate way) by first charging a single dollar. The double charge routine I don't believe is the usual procedure, however it does occur, as well as other combinations. The most important thing is to realize that as long as the extra charge(s) don't clear and fall off, all will be correct.

Wyatt
04-04-2009, 18:03
It looks like the only size they have left in the Caribous (Cariboo?) (Caribooze?) is for people five feet six inches or smaller. That would be quite a squeeze for my six feet or so. Drat. Maybe I could just squeeze in and not breathe all night long....oh, wait...bad idea...

Wyatt

skinewmexico
04-04-2009, 19:30
Gotta move fast on a good WM deal.

Wyatt
04-04-2009, 20:08
Yeah, this was the first time I've ever seen them on sale $100 off. I just didn't catch it soon enough. No worries, though.

DapperD
04-04-2009, 23:42
Yeah, this was the first time I've ever seen them on sale $100 off. I just didn't catch it soon enough. No worries, though.With the economy in the state that it is in, I wouldn't worry either. The prices for nearly everything will continue to get better and better.

slow
04-05-2009, 21:00
Yeah, this was the first time I've ever seen them on sale $100 off. I just didn't catch it soon enough. No worries, though.

You should worry,cause it really dont happen.

But if you had a sale on MB bags,you will have 250 posts saying....boy i missed a great deal on ...a 2nd rate bag for even 50 off.:eek:

RITBlake
04-05-2009, 21:40
are WM bags all that they are cracked up to be?

Egads
04-05-2009, 22:01

I have the Alpinlite and find it really true to it's 20* rating, well made, a quality zipper, and it's lightweight. But the velcro closure is too close to my face and can be uncomfortable. Also, I am a restless sleeper and feel confined in the bag. It's not a negative of WM bags. But Montbell gives so much room to move in and I sleep better.

RITBlake
04-05-2009, 22:06
I have the Alpinlite and find it really true to it's 20* rating, well made, a quality zipper, and it's lightweight. But the velcro closure is too close to my face and can be uncomfortable. Also, I am a restless sleeper and feel confined in the bag. It's not a negative of WM bags. But Montbell gives so much room to move in and I sleep better.

Interesting I have to compare some bags. My core gear is all from 2004/05 so it's time for some upgrades.

skinewmexico
04-05-2009, 22:10

Absolutely. Great construction, top quality materials, and true temperature ratings. Made in America. They come in different girths, so check to make sure you're getting one in the right size.

slow
04-05-2009, 22:15

Would you like to try one to see?

I just get sick of posts on MB..yet SO many off a factory line have been sent back.But not one post on any board about a bad WM BAG.

When you buy a MB and are happy with a second rate bag...that is you in a nutshell for gear.

slow
04-05-2009, 22:43
Also think the years WM been in the game and the first bags are still going?

In the day ...the packed plane as a kid with the rubber band...did that last long...no.That is what i see in MB bags.

RITBlake
04-05-2009, 23:21
Would you like to try one to see?

Yes please?

slow
04-06-2009, 00:02
Yes please?

pm sent.

RITBlake
04-06-2009, 09:07
pm sent.

no pm received?

Jayboflavin04
04-06-2009, 12:34
RITI.....spend the money on a WM. I tent to be a cold sleeper. The first night I had my ultralight out. It dropped to 20ish with gusts around 15-20mph in a HS cloudburst 2. I had to open the hood and vent a little cause I was getting chilled because I was WARM! These bags are second to NONE!!! I know the price tag says ouch, but you are looking at an investment that may last you 30yrs!

Rcarver
04-06-2009, 15:32
I decided to order a Tamarak as well. This should be an interesting purchase.

Engine
04-06-2009, 16:09

I take it the extra charge problem was taken care of?

slow
04-06-2009, 17:22
no pm received?

I did send one sorry?

I can send you a mitylite,ponderosa as of now to try?I will have others to try also...when my good friends give my bags back.:(

RITBlake
04-06-2009, 17:38
I did send one sorry?

I can send you a mitylite,ponderosa as of now to try?I will have others to try also...when my good friends give my bags back.:(

that would be wicked, I'll send you a PM now

Rcarver
04-06-2009, 18:08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcarver http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=816304#post816304)

I take it the extra charge problem was taken care of?

Yes. It sure was. The lady I talked to about it was very nice.

Jester2000
04-06-2009, 19:12
I just payed 200.00 for a new WM Caribou MF, 85.00 off the msrp :) at Northern Lights Trading Co. I noticed they have discounted many other WM products as well and since that doesn't happen very often I thought I'd let you all know.

It doesn't happen very often because WM doesn't let its dealers sell below msrp. So either Northern Lights got special permission to clear overstock, or they won't be carrying Western Mounaineering for long . . .

Rcarver
04-06-2009, 20:44
The outfitters here in Knoxville and the one in Maryville all run 20% off sales that inculde Western products.

Jester2000
04-07-2009, 16:56
The outfitters here in Knoxville and the one in Maryville all run 20% off sales that inculde Western products.

a) I was referring to online sales, which was the topic here, not in-store promotions
b) I'm not even saying people don't run online sales, I'm saying that they're not allowed to without permission from Western Mountaineering, which explains why it's rare to see WM on sale, online

Rcarver
04-07-2009, 18:20
It doesn't happen very often because WM doesn't let its dealers sell below msrp. So either Northern Lights got special permission to clear overstock, or they won't be carrying Western Mounaineering for long . . .

I apologise. I didn't understand that dealers meant only "on line".

Jester2000
04-07-2009, 18:21
I apologise. I didn't understand that dealers meant only "on line".

No problem. I should have been more specific.

Engine
04-10-2009, 09:46
I received the bag yesterday and I must say, WOW! WM makes a nice bag for sure. True to the advertised weight at 1 pound 4 ounces and I poured about 2 ounces of water on top, it just beaded up and rolled off. I should have upgraded my bag a long time ago. :D:D:D

Worldwide
04-10-2009, 10:09
I use the WM Lite series myself. Understand it doesn't use DWR shell fabric, and you will probably want to get a product called Revivex per the WM website to keep the fabric from absorbing condensation / moisture. Basically it is a spray on product put it in a dryer for @ 5 minutes to set the Revivex into the fabric.

Worldwide

Engine
04-10-2009, 10:46
I use the WM Lite series myself. Understand it doesn't use DWR shell fabric, and you will probably want to get a product called Revivex per the WM website to keep the fabric from absorbing condensation / moisture. Basically it is a spray on product put it in a dryer for @ 5 minutes to set the Revivex into the fabric.

Worldwide

TY, I'll check it out.

daddytwosticks
04-10-2009, 19:48
Hmmm...could be wrong, but I thought my Caribou had some wonder fabric used for it's shell that shed water spray without having to resort to extra fabric treatment. Engine, you may want to check for this on your hang tags or get the straight dope from WM's website. :)

Engine
04-10-2009, 21:16
Hmmm...could be wrong, but I thought my Caribou had some wonder fabric used for it's shell that shed water spray without having to resort to extra fabric treatment. Engine, you may want to check for this on your hang tags or get the straight dope from WM's website. :)

I'm at work for the day and won't get home until tomorrow morning (24 hours shifts are a drag) but as soon as I get home I'll take a look at the tags. I think that WM stated this fabric was different (and more water repellent) from what is used in the Ultralite and various other models though. I do know that it is one NICE bag though and I'm looking forward to stretching the rating by 10 degrees or so.:)