PDA

View Full Version : Tent vs Tarp

Speakeasy
04-02-2009, 08:20
Hi Everyone - I'm planning my 2010 NOBO thru hike and was originally going to go with a Eureka Spitfire. However, after lots of research and reading all the threads from experienced AT hikers I'm considering a tarp tent. I'm interested in the advantages and suggestions of good tarp tents..

Dogwood
04-02-2009, 12:21
Before you go any further, even though you find tarp in the word tarptent, IMO, and in the opinion of many others who use tarps, tarptents, or Henry Shires type tarptents(Henry may have been the first, or one of the first, to describe his tents as tarptents), are not really tarps. They are really single walled tents. I know sometimes the lines get blurred and there is some crossover of what tarps are and the wording can create some misconceptions, but IMO tarptents are not really tarps. Just thought I should say that because I notice some discussion of people lumping true tarps in with tarptents as if they are the same, probably becuase of the the word tarptent.

Spirit Walker
04-02-2009, 12:41
The advantage of a tent or tarptent over a tarp is that bugs and snakes are kept out and camping on soaked ground is less of an issue than if you are carrying a tarp alone. There are so many lightweight tents and tarptents now, I don't think carrying a tarp is much of an advantage any more. OTOH, the light tents and tarptents can have real condensation issues -- especially with two people inside -- which can largely be avoided with a well hung tarp.

Kerosene
04-02-2009, 12:49
Single-wall Tent (aka, tarptent)

about half the weight of double-wall tents
easy setup, although it can be difficult to attain a taut pitch with some tarptent designs
typically take advantage of a trekking pole to save weight (which means you have to hike with poles, and don't forget them anywhere!)
condensation will be an issue on cool, still evenings
sil-nyl isn't completely waterproof under pressure, so a very hard rain can product a fine "mist", and lying over a puddle can wet through

Tipi Walter
04-02-2009, 12:51
There's been ALOT of discussion on this in previous threads. Here's a recent one:http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48213&highlight=Tarps

Speakeasy
04-02-2009, 17:15
Thank you for the information. I think that given my experience I should probably stay with the tent...;)

hopefulhiker
04-02-2009, 17:28
I would reccommend a tarp tent because of the great weight savings. Look into Tarptent.com and Six Moon Designs.. Only a few thru hikers hiked with double wall
A tarp tent is easy and quick to set up, I think a lot easier than just a tarp plus it provides complete bug protection. The only better way would be to just tarp or maybe hammock, but that requires a little bit of know how...

TrippinBTM
04-05-2009, 11:44
In Franklin, North Carolina I bought one of those retular blue tarps at Walmart, and used that up through CT, when I had my tent sent back to me. Even that cheap tarp was lighter than my tent, if I'd gotten a real tarp, syl-nylon or something, it would have been even better. But it worked. You have to learn how to pitch it well, and be careful about where you set up. With no floor, you don't want to be in a slight dip where water will pool, as happened to me one miserable night in PA.

A tarptent would be a better option, given how often you'll be dealing with rain on the AT. I think in a drier climate, a tarp is a better option, because you don't have to worry as much that both ends of your shelter are open to the elements. I got wet a few times when it was rainy and windy. Spent more than one night curled up in a ball in the center of the tarp...

a tarptent is probably warmer too, though having never used one I can't say for sure.

And don't let hopefulhiker fool you. I saw tons of people with regular double-wall tents (ten + rainfly), including myself and about everyone I hiked with.

Lastly, I saw a display at Trail Days last year for Appy Trails tarptents, which I'm still interested in buying. I don't know much about any other tarptents, but those looked pretty cool.

sloopjonboswell
04-06-2009, 00:20
loved my blue tarp. a sized right piece of tyvek 'ground cloth' can give a tarp a 'boat' floor with a little late night ingenuity. damascus to gorham.

Jim Adams
04-06-2009, 00:29
a tarp if set up correctly will be dryer and more comfortable than a tarptent.

geek

LIhikers
04-11-2009, 22:05
a tarp if set up correctly will be dryer and more comfortable than a tarptent.
geek

That may be true but a tarptent will keep those pesky misquitoes, and other annoying bugs, out much better.

Wise Old Owl
04-11-2009, 22:34
That may be true but a tarptent will keep those pesky misquitoes, and other annoying bugs, out much better.

Perhaps old information.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=26165&catid=member&orderby=views&direction=DESC&imageuser=11552&cutoffdate=-1

its out there - you just have to look for it.