PDA

View Full Version : Easy spots to get lost..

mindi
04-02-2009, 09:21
I'm wondering, going SOBO, where were the spots that you need to watch carefully to avoid getting lost? I'd like to make a few notes in my guidebook. I know going northbound there were a few places where just 'following the blazes' was a little easier said than done.
:) Sugargrits

4eyedbuzzard
04-02-2009, 09:55
In the fog above treeline in the Whites. It's not likely, but I was up there once when it was so thick you couldn't see the next cairn.

Jeff
04-02-2009, 10:23
Northern New Jersey has several spots where ATV's get on or cross the trail. This makes for some confusion when the blazes are far apart.

Freeleo
04-02-2009, 10:36
as you follow the big river your second day into the 100 mile wilderness, me and the four people behind me all got mixed up when we came to the first little stream crossing. it was an inlet to the big river and you turn to the right to cross and keep following the river. you cant see the blaze very well so when we all got to the shelter it was funny to learn that all three groups had continued up the inlet before we realized we were supposed to cross to the right and continue following the river.

Pedaling Fool
04-02-2009, 11:46
There are many places it's easy to get lost when fog rolls in. The below pic was on one of the baldpates in Maine. I took the pic during a momentary "clearing". I only did about 3.5 miles that day -- frustrating day, a lot of miles were off the trail.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/9/3/6/09-23-061101.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=20610&original=1&c=member&imageuser=6936)

Red Hat
04-02-2009, 12:07
I had a difficult day in the muddy bogs that did not seem well marked. I believe it was not far before Maher Tote Road. After Wadleigh Stream.... I slipped and slided trying to find the right direction. Finally, I took off my pack, sat it on a log, and searched every direction for a White Blaze. When I finally found one, I put my pack back on and followed it.

Kerosene
04-02-2009, 12:59
Just north of US-19E in Tennessee, the SOBO AT enters a field and eventually a tractor trail with views of Hump Mountain. Last Fall there was a horizontal single blaze painted on an fallen tree trunk off to the right of the trail, and about 50 yards later the actual AT takes a small path to the right to head up and over the ridge while the tractor trail continues left. There was no obvious mark signalling the turn, and the first blaze on the actual AT was 30 yards away at the treeline, so you would likely not see it unless you knew where to look.

If you do incorrectly follow the tractor trail, then it will dump you out at Bear Branch Road. Take a right to the corner, then another right for half a mile to re-join the AT, which crosses the creek on your right using a small footbridge.

Pedaling Fool
04-02-2009, 14:59
Just north of US-19E in Tennessee, the SOBO AT enters a field and eventually a tractor trail with views of Hump Mountain. Last Fall there was a horizontal single blaze painted on an fallen tree trunk off to the right of the trail, and about 50 yards later the actual AT takes a small path to the right to head up and over the ridge while the tractor trail continues left. There was no obvious mark signalling the turn, and the first blaze on the actual AT was 30 yards away at the treeline, so you would likely not see it unless you knew where to look.

If you do incorrectly follow the tractor trail, then it will dump you out at Bear Branch Road. Take a right to the corner, then another right for half a mile to re-join the AT, which crosses the creek on your right using a small footbridge.
I think I know what you're talking about, it was very frustrating.

I also walked off the trail in Penn. I was in a field, at first they had a blazed posts, but then no more and I ended up veering right (the trail seemed more traveled) following AT boundry markers, thought it was a weird way to mark the AT, but I kept following them. I ended up in the yard of a deserted farmhouse near some road, luckily I was able to find the roads on my maps -- no way was I gonna back-track.

kolokolo
04-02-2009, 21:21
I had a lot of trouble following the trail through a really rocky section just north of the Pennsylvania/Maryland border a couple of years ago. Maybe it was because I was looking at my feet so much to try to avoid tripping...

Marta
04-02-2009, 21:29
In the fall of '06, Harriman State Park was a mess. I lost the Trail more in that one day than during the whole rest of my hike.

Besides that, I usually had the most difficulty when the Trail crossed a road and the continuation was not directly opposite. I'd wander around in frustration, trying to figure out if I needed to go left or right or what. Once again, the worst problem I had on the whole hike was before and after Bear Mtn. Bridge.

Tennessee Viking
04-02-2009, 22:47
Here in the south, the only trouble that we have are trail junctions. Some are posted, while others are not. But then we have our Balds which most of them will have blazed posts.

Then I have followed heavily travelled hunting trails instead of the AT. But soon realized I went the wrong way when I start walking in the weeds and brush.

bullseye
04-02-2009, 23:11
I lost the trail on the descent to the road crossing in Lee, MA. I was on "autopilot" and I went downhill when the trail took a right turn. I hit the road and couldn't find the next blaze, and then it hit me.:eek: Didn't seem so steep coming down, but it sure was when I backtracked;):D.

RITBlake
04-03-2009, 00:28
Keep your eyes up and be alert, it really ain't that hard.

When you get to a road crossing look on the other side for a sign post, clearing, or parking area. If you can't spot it, check your guide book for further clarity.

In 2175 miles I got lost zero times.

When it comes to well marked trails we are beyond spoiled on the AT.

mindi
04-03-2009, 22:17
Thanks for the tips..keep them coming!

I guess I'm a little more nervous since I'll be alone this time. Last time I had a partner who had already hiked the trail. Plus going SOBO I imagine I won't have the crowds or be weaving in and out of groups like I did going northbound.

Marta
04-03-2009, 22:24
The SOBO joke: If you haven't see a white blaze in a while, and are wondering if you're still on the Trail, turn around. You'll probably see a bunch of blazes.

Something that helped me find the trail during the fall, when freshly-fallen leaves obscured the ground: Look for the cut ends of logs, showing where trail maintainers have cut away blowdowns. There are lots and lots of them. This technique also works when there's a medium snowfall covering the path.

think0075
04-05-2009, 15:18
one place i know people had some trouble was right after big wilson stream. im not sure its big wilson but i think it is. its the one that about 10 miles away from the road to monson so i think it is your second to last ford in the 100 mile wilderness. but when you cross the river make sure to go left there is a trail that goes right and there is even a bridge there but left is definetly the way u want to go.

Lauriep
04-05-2009, 15:48
You're most likely to get lost when you're already "lost" in good conversation and not paying attention to the blazing. It's very easy to miss a turn in those situations, especially if you're on a wide woods road and the A.T. then quietly veers off onto a narrow path.

Blazing can also be sparse at road crossings. Blazing is intentionally sparse in federally designated wilderness areas (where policy may dictate no more than 4-5 blazes a mile). Where the A.T. follows the Chesapeake & Ohio Towpath, a national historical park, only 2-3 blazes per mile are allowed along this 3-mile stretch in Maryland. The path there is obvious and you're fine if you have a map; otherwise, the lack of blazes may have you wondering if you're no longer on the A.T.

Laurie P.
ATC

Jeff
04-05-2009, 16:43
After hiking out west with little or no blazing, the AT is pretty darn easy to follow.

Kerosene
04-06-2009, 15:49
The section of the AT between Osgood Tentsite and Pinkham Notch, on the "Trail-North" slopes of Mt. Washington, is non-obvious. I was thankful that I had reviewed my trail map and guidebook just prior to that section, as the AT blazing is secondary to the historically older trails that intersect in that area. In particular, there was not even an indicator of a right turn down to cross a stream on a footbridge, except for an AT logo with arrow someone had scratched into the back of a trailsign. In addition, in 2006 there were only 4 blazes to be found over the next two miles of walking, and one of those was on a downed tree.