PDA

View Full Version : Durability of silnylon

Trailbender
04-02-2009, 09:29
I am thinking about getting a silnylon tarp, but what is the durability in comparison to the standard Wal-Mart tarp? Also, I wanted Tyvek, but all the warehouse stores around here only sell large rolls. Is there anywhere on the net where I can get a 9'x12' sheet?

4eyedbuzzard
04-02-2009, 09:39
There are a few sellers on ebay that sell pieces of Tyvek by the linear foot or by sq yard, both the hard and soft varieties. Not as cheap as just finding scraps, but convenient.

Celeritas
04-02-2009, 09:50
A 9x12 sheet of Tyvek will run you $24 at antigravitygear.com. Worth it though if you don't have any other outlet. Here's a direct link to their Tyvek : http://www.antigravitygear.com/proddetail.php?prod=TYVEK

I don't know about the durability of silnylon, but I would guess that a Walmart tarp, while probably being more durable, is most likely much heavier. Gotta weigh your pros and cons with that one.

Trailbender
04-02-2009, 09:52
There are a few sellers on ebay that sell pieces of Tyvek by the linear foot or by sq yard, both the hard and soft varieties. Not as cheap as just finding scraps, but convenient.

Thanks, I just ordered me a sheet of it, definitely much cheaper than the silnylon.

MoBill122
04-02-2009, 09:54
This is where I bought mine

http://www.materialconcepts.com/store/index.php?crn=216

I bought the soft Tyvek.... like painter's overalls are made of

take-a-knee
04-02-2009, 10:36
Thanks, I just ordered me a sheet of it, definitely much cheaper than the silnylon.

Much cheaper, MUCH less durable, and much more likely to wet your A$$.

brooklynkayak
04-02-2009, 11:27

And don't forget much noisier in a wind, heavier and takes up more space in a pack.

Tyvek does have better puncture resitance, but is that an issue with a tarp?

My vote, spend the extra for the silnylon and use the tyvek for a ground cloth.

dloome
04-08-2009, 01:06

Yup. Bad way to save a few bucks, though you'll probably figure that out next miserable night you spend under a crappy shelter.

When used as a shelter (vs., say, pack material on certain ridiculous backpacks) silnylon is very durable and long lasting. Worth it.

KMACK
04-08-2009, 03:27
Scored my Tyvek ground sheet by stopping by a construction site and just asked if they had any Tyvek to spare. Walked away w/ a 3' x 9' piece all for just being polite and asking.

Jim Adams
04-08-2009, 10:01
campmor, 10' x 10' urethane coated nylon, 22oz.(?), $39. It will last for years.

geek

Trailbender
04-30-2009, 23:21

Used it in a pouring rainstorm on a Geology expedition, didn't get wet at all. The way I pitch my tarptent is different than most though, it is more like a regular tent than the tarptents.

Phoenixdadeadhead
04-30-2009, 23:35
Silnylon beats Tyvek hands down, but for my money Gortex is the way to go, although it is about twice as heavy, it is breathable which helps to keep down the condensation, as for a Tyvek ground cover, just go to Lowes or HomeDepot everyday for a week, tak to the Employees, ask the cool ones to save the Tyvek they cut off the Lumber. I forget if it was Duraboard, drywall, or some other 4x8 wood, but at least 1 of them is wrapped in Tyvek for shipping.

Franco
05-01-2009, 05:27
"but for my money Gortex is the way to go"
The reason you get condensation under a tarp , as you do in a tent, is because the warmer air from your breath, body heat or ground evaporation, hits the cooler fabric and turns into moisture.
For Teflon (PTFE, Gore-Tex or eVent) to work there has to be enough difference between the "inside" temperature and the outside to expel the water vapours. That is not going to happen under a tarp. That is also why a tent made with PTFE (Todd-Tex by Bibler or eVent by Rab ) will work better if fully sealed .
Franco