PDA

View Full Version : Bug net

GotDuhka
04-02-2009, 15:21
Where can you get a cheapo bug net just for your head to keep back the blackflies. I have been suggested to get one by an AT vet and all in all i can't imagine it weighing too much more than an ounce if that.

Freeleo
04-02-2009, 15:33
not exactly cheap but

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/ultralight_headnet.html (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/ultralight_headnet.html)

Slo-go'en
04-02-2009, 15:35
I belive Campmor has them, as will most outdoor shops and many hardware stores in New England. They can help save your sanity when the flys are thick, but they do get a little warm while hiking, so it can be a compermise.

kolokolo
04-02-2009, 21:11
I got one for about $1.50 at Walmart. It came in handy a couple of times in Canada last summer when the mosquitos were thick.

Wrangler88
04-02-2009, 22:36
I got one for about $1.50 at Walmart. It came in handy a couple of times in Canada last summer when the mosquitos were thick.

I saw the same thing at Walmart this week. Think that's about as cheap as it gets.

warraghiyagey
04-02-2009, 22:37
Bugnets are dumb. . .

phillycheze
04-03-2009, 02:28
sea to summit has a nice one

Dogwood
04-03-2009, 05:38
Bugnets are dumb. . .

WG, I used to think the same thing until I hit a swarm of skeeters in the Sierras while wearing nothing but 3 types of bug dope. Thought the repellant would do the trick, but after almost passing out from lack of blood loss I decided to get the headnet. IMO, the headnet that seems the most breathable and doesn't decrease visibility to the pt of feeling like you need sonar to find your way is made by Sea to Summit.

GotDuhka
04-03-2009, 08:29
I've hit some bad mosquitoes in the lower Sierras before during the summer snow melt. They could bite through capaliene like a feral dog! I just don't want to be swatting my face while im hiking with trekking poles for 20 miles a day. And I don't use deet dig.

warraghiyagey
04-03-2009, 08:30
WG, I used to think the same thing until I hit a swarm of skeeters in the Sierras while wearing nothing but 3 types of bug dope. Thought the repellant would do the trick, but after almost passing out from lack of blood loss I decided to get the headnet. IMO, the headnet that seems the most breathable and doesn't decrease visibility to the pt of feeling like you need sonar to find your way is made by Sea to Summit.

I was kidding. . . :) . . .:)

CowHead
04-03-2009, 09:40
wally world is cheap and works well