PDA

View Full Version : Women's Backpack - Help!

Speakeasy
04-02-2009, 20:22
Hi - I'm gathering gear for 2010 thru hike and I'm totally lost in deciding on a backpack. There is a local EMS and REI but right now I'm doing some prelimanary research. I've scanned the threads and online reviews but there just does'nt seem to be alot of consensus when it comes to women's gear. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated...

Homer&Marje
04-02-2009, 20:28
Marje got the North Face Terra 40 and she's very happy with it. Very reasonably priced $110-$130 I think. Extra cushion, form fit for women and very light.

G. Rabbit
04-02-2009, 21:19
I have the Granite Gear Meridian Vapor Ki pack. It fits great and is fairly light. The weight limit is right around 33 pounds for me. Under that it carries comfortably, but the frame sheet quits being effective over 33 to 34-ish pounds. That's okay since I usually carry under 30 anyway. The 3200ci is more than enough room for my stuff and it is very easy to pack.
My friend just got a Gregory Jade 50, but hasn't used it on the trail it yet so I can't recomend it yet.

Go try out a few different packs with some weight in them and see which fits you best. If there is a good outfitter withing reasonable distance, you should definitely see them and have them fit you for one. Internet reviews are good, but it's so much better to just start trying them on.

summitnh
04-03-2009, 09:15
I love my Gregory Jade. Saw 5 women out there this past month with the Gregory Deva. Both great packs

Red Hat
04-03-2009, 10:45
Okay, do your research and try them on. I now own 5 backpacks.... If you are purchasing at an REI the Gregory Jade is a decent pack (sort of like the Z for women) The Granite Gear packs access (top and bottom zipper access) is interesting and some folks love it. (Mine ripped the first week in Maine) Personally, I prefer my ULA pack or my Osprey Atmos (no women's version available when I purchased it). The key is getting your gear down to a reasonable weight to carry in the pack. No pack will feel good if it is too heavy. Aim for 25 or so with everything.

Blissful
04-03-2009, 11:32
I love my Gregory Jade. Saw 5 women out there this past month with the Gregory Deva. Both great packs

I have a Gregory jade too. Used it from Harpers Ferry to ME.

Honestly you will get no consensus. It depends on your gear(which you need to get first before the backpack) and how it feels on you. Best bet is to go to a good outfitter and try them on once you have all your gear.

Spirit Walker
04-03-2009, 12:41
I use a ULA-Equipment Catalyst - it's a great pack. I've never worn a woman specific pack because generally they are heavier than needed.

TunnelvisionGAME09
04-03-2009, 12:53
I love my Jade. It's been through a fair amount and only has dirt to show for it. It's the pack that I am taking with me this year on my thru.

phoebersl
04-03-2009, 16:56
I recommend the Gregory Electra, It's a great pack and made for women. I have had it for four years and held up great through many long hikes. I'm taking it on my thru hike because of all of the above and because it has all the necessary straps and pockets, plus it's quite comfortable!

Speakeasy
04-03-2009, 17:19
Thank you all for the input - I'll probably head to REI to try some packs on just to get a feel and go back when I have all my gear together. Has anyone tried the Osprey Atmos 65? I'm looking into women's packs but I'm not very curvy and could probably go with a unisex...

bruchko
04-03-2009, 17:24
atmos packs are awesome, but i think you need the 50 instead of the 65. 65 is just too big for what you need on the AT. You can get the 50 on ebay for around 120 bucks. fantastic pack

skinewmexico
04-03-2009, 17:27
Try some on without looking at the tag, and buy what fits and feels best. No one will notice if it's not a woman specific pack.

bigcranky
04-05-2009, 09:54
My wife tried on every pack out there (long story), and ended up with an Osprey Ariel 55. Not ultralight, but comfortable. The Osprey women's suspension is very well designed.