PDA

View Full Version : Hotel for the night prior to starting?

catfishrivers
04-02-2009, 21:47
I'm getting driven to GA by Brother and Grandmother and will need to get a hotel room close enough to the trail that I can be dropped off early in the morning, and they can start driving back to NJ.

Any suggestions as to what town I should look in? Any specific hotels? Thank you everyone. :)

P.S. - No hostels please...my Granny would keel over!

UnkaJesse
04-02-2009, 22:01
The lodge at Amicalola state park would be ideal.

http://www.gastateparks.org/info/amicalola/

BitBucket
04-02-2009, 22:13
You can stay at the Hiker Hostel with Josh and Leigh Saint. <$20 will get you a room & breakfast. They are great hosts and they can take you to Amicalola Falls or to Springer if you need them to.

The lodge at Amicalola is a favorite also. Probably will cost you around $100 a night but a good buffet breakfast is available.

If you choose to start on a Saturday morning, then the Friday night seafood buffet is excellent also...At Amicalola you can pig out on the buffet and walk out the front door and hit the approach trail...

stranger
04-02-2009, 22:40
There are a few motels in Dahlonega GA, just about 20 miles from Amicalola State Park, it would be much cheaper than staying in the park.

BitBucket
04-02-2009, 23:30
CatfishRivers, The Lodge at Amicalola will have your favorite food on the evening buffet...Catfish of course (fillet or whole)!!

On second thought Granny might actually like the hiker hostel...you can put her up in one of the private rooms with king size bed, TV, private bath ($37 per night w/ breakfast included)...the private bedroom at the Hiker hostel is much nicer than the standard rooms at Amicalola

At Amicalola you could get one of the junior suite corner rooms on the 3rd floor and have a great place to really relax a day or two before you start the hike

freefall
04-02-2009, 23:32
Not going to find better lodging than what has already been suggested here. Atlanta is too far away.

Lone Wolf
04-03-2009, 02:35
You can stay at the Hiker Hostel with Josh and Leigh Saint. <$20 will get you a room & breakfast. They are great hosts and they can take you to Amicalola Falls or to Springer if you need them to.

The lodge at Amicalola is a favorite also. Probably will cost you around $100 a night but a good buffet breakfast is available.

If you choose to start on a Saturday morning, then the Friday night seafood buffet is excellent also...At Amicalola you can pig out on the buffet and walk out the front door and hit the approach trail...

CatfishRivers, The Lodge at Amicalola will have your favorite food on the evening buffet...Catfish of course (fillet or whole)!!

On second thought Granny might actually like the hiker hostel...you can put her up in one of the private rooms with king size bed, TV, private bath ($37 per night w/ breakfast included)...the private bedroom at the Hiker hostel is much nicer than the standard rooms at Amicalola

At Amicalola you could get one of the junior suite corner rooms on the 3rd floor and have a great place to really relax a day or two before you start the hike

he said NO hostels

chiefduffy
04-03-2009, 04:09
The cabins at Amicalola are cheaper than the lodge, and really nice.

papa john
04-03-2009, 07:14
The HikerHostel is nothing like a normal hostel. It is more on the line of a B&B. In fact, that is how it is licensed.

Blissful
04-03-2009, 11:34
We stayed at the Super 8 at Dahlonega.

catfishrivers
04-03-2009, 12:17
Thanks everyone! I'm gonna show all the options and let Granny pick where she wants to sleep the night. I will make a case for the breakfast buffet tho :)

max patch
04-03-2009, 12:24
If you are going to start at Springer (not ASP) then search for hotels in Elijay and East Elijay.

If you end up in Dahlonega treat her to a Southern dinner at the Smith House.

Marta
04-03-2009, 17:00
Another vote for motel-type accomodations is the Lodge at Amicalola Falls SP. The view is incredible. Your family might get a sense of the beauty which will surround you while you're hiking.

My personal favorite is the Hiker Hostel. There is a private room, and your family would get to meet other hikers.

Which aspect of the hiking experience they'd find most interesting is your/their call, of course.