PDA

View Full Version : Bad news...

ryanwheeler007
04-02-2009, 22:11
Well it happens but it sux... Something happened with my knee and the swelling will not go down... 2 days in and it looks like my hike is done :( I'm headed to florida to get it checked out and hopefully will be back soon but it's not looking too good! Let this be a lesson, when people say take it slow in the beginning they mean it! I figured since I was 25, in pretty good shape and trained I would be ok but I was wrong...

Tennessee Viking
04-02-2009, 22:43
Hopefully you just got some mild inflamation. I had a hug knot on my knee last year. I was off the trail for a good month before it went away. Then this last winter, I found out I have some mild arthritis in my ankles but disappearing slowly.

Mountain Maiden
04-02-2009, 22:49
Well it happens but it sux... Something happened with my knee and the swelling will not go down... 2 days in and it looks like my hike is done :( I'm headed to florida to get it checked out and hopefully will be back soon but it's not looking too good! Let this be a lesson, when people say take it slow in the beginning they mean it! I figured since I was 25, in pretty good shape and trained I would be ok but I was wrong...

Lessons learned are time well spent. You are exactly right! Sorry you had to learn this the hard way. Hopefully, someone else will read this and heed your voice of experience. And, hopefully, you will heal well and be back out on the Trail soon!

Good luck and Happy, healthy healing!

Take care,
S

camojack
04-03-2009, 01:05
Well, damnation! I hope it's not too serious, so your hike can resume... :-?

Lyle
04-03-2009, 01:19
Best wishes. You may be surprised at how quickly you can heal up. Might be lucky that it happened early on, before you had a chance to do real serious and possibly permanent damage.

Hope you're back out there soon.

Maddog
04-03-2009, 01:37
good luck...get well soon!

Frick Frack
04-03-2009, 07:51
Wheels....I gave you a ride from Lowe's to Dick's in GA. Sorry to hear about your delay. Best of luck on a speedy recovery and quick return to the trail. Hopefully you will be back out there before you know it. Who knows, you might even be able to sobo if you can not return to GA soon enough :-?

Silver Potato
MEGA 2008

4eyedbuzzard
04-03-2009, 08:01
Sorry to hear about your injury. Follow the doc's instructions and don't overdo it--lots of temptation to try to push the healing too fast. Take it easy with the weight and hiking mileage when you resume. At 25 you'll be back on the trail in no time.

Many Walks
04-03-2009, 10:12
Keep the dream, learn the lessons, and start slower next time. The trail will wait...there's no hurry. Hope your next attempt goes well.

Red Hat
04-03-2009, 10:34
Michelle (1/2 of the Monopoly Playing Honeymooners) had to have her knee drained a couple of weeks ago. She said she was having problems from the first day, but kept on hiking. They finally got a ride to Kincora after it swelled up the size of a softball. Bob took her to a doctor who drained it and gave her some antibiotics. A few days off and they were hiking again. Hopefully you will be too.