PDA

View Full Version : Elevation change map or calculator for AT?

Pencil Pusher
06-01-2004, 16:31
I was wondering if there was a 2d graph (or equivalent) of the elevations gains and losses on the trail? Like the mileage calculators, this graph would display the changes between two selected points. I'd think this would be an invaluable tool for those planning hikes. I have seen friends' graphs that are similar for mountains climbed, using their mapping software, so I assume the same could be done for the trail.

Two Speed
06-08-2004, 18:23
Check the trail profile.

gardenville
06-08-2004, 19:26
Several years ago I bought the complete "official" state by state set of At Trail Handbooks and the maps. I think each state map had the "trail profile" as part ot the map. I am looking at the state of Maine map and it has what you are looking for. I have all the other states but they are packed away. You could do what you are talking about with these maps but at times it might just be better not to know. That is a joke but true at times. I would guess that the official maps still have this feature.

MedicineMan
06-08-2004, 22:14
Has a cd that you can trace with the mouse the part of the trail you want to hike, then you can graph only that portion you traced and it will tell you total.gain/total loss/and distance, of course it is based on 'old' data provided/bought? from the ATC....
I'm still waiting for the fruits of DelDoc's labor with accurate profiles....
but in the end it doesnt matter does it...just put one foot in front of the other and get up and over the hill...though I do understand the curiosity of tech........