PDA

View Full Version : Damascus to Fox Creek

dhock83
04-03-2009, 13:21
I am going to be backpacking in june. All 3 of us will be hanging our hammocks. We may end up going from fox creek to damascus due to shuttle. we will be camping three nights and dont really want to limit ourselves to shelters.

IceAge
04-03-2009, 15:37
That's super.

trippclark
04-03-2009, 16:50
I am going to be backpacking in june. All 3 of us will be hanging our hammocks. We may end up going from fox creek to damascus due to shuttle. we will be camping three nights and dont really want to limit ourselves to shelters.

I've done this hike twice myself and am planning to hike it a third time later this month. It is a great section. I'd recommend, as you mention that your considering, that you start at Fox Creek and hike south into Damascus. Certainly either way would be a nice hike, but hiking it south, as you mention, makes shuttling simpler. Plus, it is a net elevation loss. Also, it is a nice bonus to finish in Damascus with the availability of restaurants, showers, etc. Have a great trip!

dhock83
04-03-2009, 18:44
any tips on where to camp??

bigcranky
04-05-2009, 09:51
any tips on where to camp??

Three nights?

Day 1: Shuttle to Fox Creek trailhead. Hike to the large bridged creek crossing immediately before Wise Shelter. Plenty of good hammock spots back in the woodline west of the trail, before you cross the creek. ("West" meaning to your right as you hike sobo.) This is a nice open area, with a good creek for water and good views.

Day 2: Hike past Mt Rogers and camp near Elk Garden. There is a road crossing there, so I would stay in the woods north of the road maybe 1/4 mile or so. Not sure about water in that location.

Day 3: Climb over Whitetop, cross US 58, and keep hiking past the Lost Mtn Shelter to Creek Junction, where the AT meets the Creeper Trail. When you get there, don't climb up to the Hassinger bridge, instead camp down along the creeks. Also a nice spot.

Day 4: Hike into Damascus. If it were me, I would just hike the Creeper Trail, but then I've done the hike over the AT many times and the Creeper is prettier. If it's a weekend, though, the Creeper will be crowded with small kids on bikes.

Skyline
04-05-2009, 10:32
Three nights?

Day 1: Shuttle to Fox Creek trailhead. Hike to the large bridged creek crossing immediately before Wise Shelter. Plenty of good hammock spots back in the woodline west of the trail, before you cross the creek. ("West" meaning to your right as you hike sobo.) This is a nice open area, with a good creek for water and good views.

Day 2: Hike past Mt Rogers and camp near Elk Garden. There is a road crossing there, so I would stay in the woods north of the road maybe 1/4 mile or so. Not sure about water in that location.

Day 3: Climb over Whitetop, cross US 58, and keep hiking past the Lost Mtn Shelter to Creek Junction, where the AT meets the Creeper Trail. When you get there, don't climb up to the Hassinger bridge, instead camp down along the creeks. Also a nice spot.

Day 4: Hike into Damascus. If it were me, I would just hike the Creeper Trail, but then I've done the hike over the AT many times and the Creeper is prettier. If it's a weekend, though, the Creeper will be crowded with small kids on bikes.

Re: Elk Garden: There is a spring just south of the parking area. There is a flat area where lots of people have camped even closer--too close to the road IMHO unless there's safety in numbers. If you still have the time and energy to do the climb, I'd hike further up to Whitetop where there are some decent sites to the left before you hit the Whitetop road. Water source would be an excellent piped spring further south.

Unless you have a need to do the AT (piecing together the entire Trail, for example) I agree with substituting the Creeper into Damascus...especially on weekdays.

bigcranky
04-05-2009, 15:00
Re: Elk Garden: There is a spring just south of the parking area. There is a flat area where lots of people have camped even closer--too close to the road IMHO unless there's safety in numbers. If you still have the time and energy to do the climb, I'd hike further up to Whitetop where there are some decent sites to the left before you hit the Whitetop road. Water source would be an excellent piped spring further south.

All true. Climbing Whitetop provides better campsites, but that would make for a long day for a section hike, with a big (though well-graded) climb at the end.

Thanks for the info on the spring at Elk Garden, I'll look for it.