PDA

View Full Version : Pack Covers Are They Necessary?

Wise Old Owl
04-03-2009, 13:36
Why? Doesn't the pack work enough, come on folks I see them all the time on the trail. <CUT>. Everything in my pack is in a stuff sack or in plastic or foil... If you were really worried a cheap disposable 40 gal garbage bag would do.

Matteroo
04-03-2009, 13:42
okay so was this a callout to tell people with pack covers that it is stupid and unnecessary or are you legitimately asking if they are necessary. Personally, unless your stuff sacks are seam sealed, the stuff in them will get wet eventually, if you're walking in rain for long enough. A pack cover can help to keep the pack and items in it dry, for at least some duration.

sure, when you're walking in a cloud of mist in the whites for 7 hours, anything not sealed in a water-tight bag is going to be wet. but a summer thundershower or 2 hours of rain in the evening, a pack cover can help to keep things over-all drier.

Wise Old Owl
04-03-2009, 13:43
"legitimately asking"

My tone of writing might be a little off today, I have just been delt with som really bad news.

SGT Rock
04-03-2009, 13:45
They are a good idea if you belive in using more than one barrier as a system to ensure things stay dry in case one barrier fails. Zip-locks get holes, pack covers get holes, liners get holes, seams strech etc.

Put stuff in sil-nylon stuff sacks. Put those stuff sacks in a pack liner. Put the pack in a pack cover.

BrianLe
04-03-2009, 13:50
One factor is how much you carring in the pack, vs. how much you carry outside the pack, in mesh pockets or strapped on or whatever. With lower volume light weight packs I find I carry more now external to the pack. OTOH, some of this doesn't matter if it gets wet (water bottle for example), and other such items are sometimes in a ziplock bag anyway, for dirt as well as wet.

Another factor is just how much you care if the pack fabric itself gets wet --- weight added, and perhaps you like to keep your pack inside your tent/shelter (perhaps as leg/foot padding).

I personally bring a pack cover along occasionally on day hikes if I'm not bringing a poncho, but on backpacking trips I almost always use a poncho so it's a moot point for me.

Wise Old Owl
04-03-2009, 14:01
well we are on the same page as a lightweight poncho would cover you and the pack, and I do pack things like Sgt Rock, so I am still thinking the few ounces should be invested in a UL water carrier or the poncho

SGT Rock
04-03-2009, 14:05
I use a packa for rain jacket and cover. It has the benifits of a jacket when it comes to wind, cold weather, blowing rain - and the benifits of a poncho with cover and ventilation.

I use a trash compactor bag for a liner. One has lasted for hundreds of miles. I cannot say the same for some trash bags I have tried.

Sil nylon for all my stuff sacks. Things that it doesn't matter if they get wet stay outside the sil-nylon and the liner. They do get some protection with the packa.

Lyle
04-03-2009, 14:09
Ponchos are a P.I.T.A. to put on and get it to cover the pack adequately. I've used them in the past and hated the hassle. Have also been asked several times by total strangers If I would help them pull the poncho into the proper position, usually after they have been walking for a ways getting wet.

Pack covers are not indispensable, but for about 3 oz, add another level of protection for your gear. I use one along with plastic bags. In over 30 years of backpacking, I've never gotten my "dry" clothes or sleeping bag wet while they were packed. Personally, if it ain't broke, no need to fix it. I'll continue to use plastic bags and a pack cover.

DAJA
04-03-2009, 14:17
I use trash compactor bag to line the bag, silnylon stuff sacks and a pack cover and have had no issues with wet gear...

SGT Rock
04-03-2009, 14:19
Ponchos are a P.I.T.A. to put on and get it to cover the pack adequately. I've used them in the past and hated the hassle. Have also been asked several times by total strangers If I would help them pull the poncho into the proper position, usually after they have been walking for a ways getting wet.You may want to look at the Packa http://www.thepacka.com/

It keeps itself straight.

saimyoji
04-03-2009, 14:20
some packs are made of material that holds lots of water, and holds it for a long time. this is why i use a pack cover (3 oz cordura nylon)

DAJA
04-03-2009, 14:21
Ponchos are a P.I.T.A. to put on and get it to cover the pack adequately. I've used them in the past and hated the hassle. Have also been asked several times by total strangers If I would help them pull the poncho into the proper position, usually after they have been walking for a ways getting wet.

Pack covers are not indispensable, but for about 3 oz, add another level of protection for your gear. I use one along with plastic bags. In over 30 years of backpacking, I've never gotten my "dry" clothes or sleeping bag wet while they were packed. Personally, if it ain't broke, no need to fix it. I'll continue to use plastic bags and a pack cover.

If you plan to go the poncho route, save yourself a lot of trouble and get yourself a packa... It works pretty well, and offers better warmth and ventilation than a standard poncho.. Works well on open groomed trails. I did add some velcro tabs on the back of the packa so I can bunch up the extra material when worn without the pack...

Cannibal
04-03-2009, 14:24
Packas rule! I thought they were stupid until my gf got one. After watching her use it for the last year I've developed a strong case of Packa envy. Say what you will, but I'm buying one very soon.

SGT Rock
04-03-2009, 14:27
Packas rule! I thought they were stupid until my gf got one. After watching her use it for the last year I've developed a strong case of Packa envy. Say what you will, but I'm buying one very soon.
I can relate. I didn't think they were stupid, but I didn't see what the big deal with it was - until I used one. Cedar Tree is one of those guys that comes up with an idea that is so simple but it is so good it is genius.

Cannibal
04-03-2009, 14:36
I didn't think they were stupid
I was young and ignorant, but have seen the errors of my childish ways. :D

SGT Rock
04-03-2009, 14:38
I was young and ignorant, but have seen the errors of my childish ways. :D
I can relate. I still think JetBoils are stupid. :cool:

Two Speed
04-03-2009, 14:39
FWIW I prefer to get pack covers in screaming orange. Yeah, I know a bright orange pack cover doesn't make me bullet proof, but they are kinda reassuring during hunting season. YMMV.

max patch
04-03-2009, 14:43
Q: Pack Covers Are They Necessary?

A: Yes

reddenbacher
04-03-2009, 14:45
got a packa at trail days.needed a new pack cover.turned out to be the best gear i used.when it pores and stops pores and stops.the packa rules

fehchet
04-03-2009, 14:46
I hike a lot in the trigger happy northeast woods and have evolved into using a blaze orange pack cover. But, for me, whatever color the pack cover is, I still like to use one.

Cookerhiker
04-03-2009, 14:53
I've always been a pack cover guy but my problem was losing them, either from overhanging branches or strong winds (see Firescald Mountain in '05 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=96219)). Mostly my fault for not securing them well enough. Anyway, I decided to try a large poncho over everything - body and pack - for my Long Trail hike (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=205061) in '07. As Lyle said, I considered it a PITA especially in the latter half of the hike when I didn't have a hiking partner to make sure it covered everything. The packa sounds intriguing with all the endorsements from you guys so I'll look into it.

SGT Rock
04-03-2009, 14:54
I've always been a pack cover guy but my problem was losing them, either from overhanging branches or strong winds (see Firescald Mountain in '05 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=96219)). Mostly my fault for not securing them well enough. Anyway, I decided to try a large poncho over everything - body and pack - for my Long Trail hike (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=205061) in '07. As Lyle said, I considered it a PITA especially in the latter half of the hike when I didn't have a hiking partner to make sure it covered everything. The packa sounds intriguing with all the endorsements from you guys so I'll look into it.
Sounds perfect for you.

Wise Old Owl
04-03-2009, 15:18
Honest If we are looking at packs & gear lists - a Pack cover is overdoing it as some cost as much as $39... A few compression bags and a garbage bag should do it.

SGT Rock
04-03-2009, 15:20
It is worth it to keep your stuff dry IMO. Back in the days of external frame packs I got a wet sleeping bag and the inside of my tent got soaked. It was a bad hike from that point on. I'll carry the extra couple of ounces and spend a few extra $ to keep dry gear.

Engine
04-03-2009, 15:30
It is worth it to keep your stuff dry IMO. Back in the days of external frame packs I got a wet sleeping bag and the inside of my tent got soaked. It was a bad hike from that point on. I'll carry the extra couple of ounces and spend a few extra $ to keep dry gear.

The proverbial "ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". Consider the possible consequences of hiking all day in a cold rain and finding your down bag and dry clothes soaked at the end of the day when the temp then drops to below freezing...

I once spent the night without shelter in a 38 degree rain at 8,000 feet after a long fall during a mountaineering accident. I would have given just about anything for a dry refuge and some warmth. Thankfully I'm still here to discuss it, but I can say from personal experience that hypothermia is both NO FUN and NO JOKE!

Granite gear pack cover at 3.9 ounces is worth every cent to me.

Bidwell
04-03-2009, 17:38
I kinda agree w/ ya here... I carry a garbage bag and they do the trick :)

Egads
04-03-2009, 17:47
I drybag everything inside the pack

summitnh
04-03-2009, 19:08
Use it all. Pack cover, ziplock bags, sylnylon, poncho, rain jacket

BrianLe
04-03-2009, 19:54
Lyle said:
"Ponchos are a P.I.T.A. to put on and get it to cover the pack adequately. I've used them in the past and hated the hassle. Have also been asked several times by total strangers If I would help them pull the poncho into the proper position, usually after they have been walking for a ways getting wet."

Cookerhiker reported a similar feeling toward ponchos.

Each to their own. I can put my poncho on without having to take my pack off, and ditto, put it back away in the lower side mesh on my pack without taking the pack off. That's not to say that it's an extremely trivial operation, but not that big a deal either --- certainly no more of a hassle than to put on or take off a jacket (have to drop pack first).

I like the idea of the Packa, the one thing that stops me is the dual use benefit of a poncho as tarp/shelter. If I were starting fresh I would seriously consider the Gatewood Cape, http://sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=45
Hard to beat the weight savings of combining your shelter and rain protection (including pack cover ...) in one 11 oz unit (18 oz if add the net tent for bugs and floor).

In any event, I find that with a little practice and sometimes some brief fiddling I can get my (Golite) poncho on just fine. Some folks have concerned about performance in wind; some cord (optionally stretchy cord) tied around the waist helps that out a lot, converts it to essentially a more-breatheable rain jacket plus rain skirt combined. Some feel it obscures their view of their feet and of the trail immediately in front of them, but this hasn't been a problem for me.

Again, each to their own. I guess each person should (insofar as opportunity allows) try out various options and decide what works best for them personally.

didymus128
04-03-2009, 20:27
i have been debating this lately, i have always used garbage bags without any problem, but i also use a down bag and am considering going with a pack cover before long. anyone had any good/bad experiences with a particular brand of pack cover?

Bearpaw
04-03-2009, 20:41
My Gatewood Cape hangs MUCH better than a poncho and requires no major fenagling to put on.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/5/0/2/5/012a_5415.jpg

On the flip side, especially during hunting season, a blaze pack cover and orange windbreaker or rain jacket can be a big plus.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/5/0/2/5/dontshoot.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=20883&original=1&c=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=5025&cutoffdate=-1)

Doctari
04-03-2009, 20:52
I used a over the pack pack cover ONE time, My sleeping bag has gotten wet ONE time, the same time I used the pack cover.
My sleeping bag was in the bottom of the pack, rain cover held about 2" of water up against the bottom of my pack = wet sleeping bag.

So IMHO: No, pack covers arn't worth the effort. Now my stuff goes inside a very heavy duty plastic bag inside the pack.

My pack is treated with water repellant before every trip, but only to amuse me.

Cedar Tree
04-03-2009, 21:19

Yep.

You may want to look at the Packa http://www.thepacka.com/

Thanks SGT Rock.

Well Cannibal, you are in luck. I have finally received the newest version of the Packa. All the seams are now taped. Many thanks to my friends at Big Agnes. They are a little heavier at 12.5 oz., but the quality is infinitely better then anything I've had before. Your gf will probably take your new one, so never mind about the luck. At least you will get a Packa. I am dropping the price too. Packas are now officially $100 + shipping.

FWIW I prefer to get pack covers in screaming orange. Yeah, I know a bright orange pack cover doesn't make me bullet proof, but they are kinda reassuring during hunting season. YMMV.

I have some "older" model blaze orange Packas I will make you a great deal on, anyone else too. $80 + shipping, while they last.

got a packa at trail days.needed a new pack cover.turned out to be the best gear i used.when it pores and stops pores and stops.the packa rules

Thanks reddenbacher, and thanks to all of the Packa owners being so vocal. I really appreciate it.

I apologize for the commercial post...., but I am still just a 1 person cottage industry. If you let me slide this one last time, I promise not to do it anymore.
Cedar Tree

Alli
04-04-2009, 00:59
Ugh Cedar Tree I'm so tempted. Sent you a PM.

spirit4earth
09-20-2009, 19:07
Has anyone used one of these? I'm not sure what size to get. I have a small Vapor Ki, but it can get pretty big once a tent is strapped on the bag. I don't want a cover that's flapping around more than usual, though.
I'm looking at Jacks R Better because I want a blaze orange cover. Thanks!

Stir Fry
09-20-2009, 19:52
I made a bag with slits at the straps. 2.2 oz., cant fall off or collest water.

Franco
09-20-2009, 20:30
Kind of redundant when I use the Aarn packs because they have a built in liner, however with the ULA/Osprey I use a thick trash bag, as well as having my sleeping bag inside a thin dry sack.
A local shop has huge (about 80 L) thick white 'trash" bags that last many weeks of hiking (I get them for free) . White is easier on my fading eyesight.
Tried a few "covers" but if you get serious rain it will find its way inside the pack. Not fun.

Franco

Feral Bill
09-20-2009, 21:08
I have never used one, and never got my gear wet hiking. I suspect some luck is involved, even over forty years.

Wise Old Owl
09-20-2009, 21:21
I have never used one, and never got my gear wet hiking. I suspect some luck is involved, even over forty years.

Thanks that is the way I was thinking too. What promted the question, at the beginning of the year was watching a DVD on the AT and thats all I saw when these folks were hiking,

I apologise to the reader, I was a bit rude on the opening posts, and I don't know why.

brooklynkayak
09-20-2009, 22:16
If you backpack in week long rain, layer after layer of waterproofing makes a huge difference.
Pack cover/poncho with drybags over your clothes, sleeping bag and other water sensitive items, makes you happy to hike in the rain.

Summit
09-21-2009, 12:53
I love my custom Gregory pack cover, made to fit my pack with precision. It is bomb proof . . . the pack doesn't get wet under a waterfall! :) But I still use sylnylon sacks and ziploc bags too, call it over-kill.

JoeHiker
09-21-2009, 13:58
My first extended hike was on the Long trail just a few years ago. It rained for the first 8 days. Continually. And, newbie that I was, I forgot my pack cover. Boy was that a miserable tme.

Wrangler88
09-21-2009, 14:03
I carried a Golite Ion through the 100 Mile Wilderness without a pack cover. (Had a poncho to cover me and my pack in really bad rain)

But I don't know what the material of the pack is but it was pretty much in constant drizzle and water would just pool on top of the pack. But my stuff inside never got wet. I was really surprized. I had most things in ziplocks anyway but still ...

And when I switched out to the Jam 2, I just put a trashbag on the inside. Although I'm pretty sure it's made out of the same stuff.

So I guess I'd say no, they aren't nessisary.

sheepdog
09-21-2009, 14:14
I found a great High Siera pack cover. It has a zipper and you can use it as a duffle also. It is great for putting you pack in under a hammock.

ShoelessWanderer
09-21-2009, 14:21
Hate pack covers. Way to much of a pain in the butt. I use ziplocs, then throw everything in dry bags and I've "water-proofed" my pack. (You know the cheap stuff in the can from walmart). Everyone I hike with spends a good 10 mins putting on ponchoes and pack covers when it starts raining...I just get to keep hiking...

SassyWindsor
09-21-2009, 15:29
Day-hike or overnighter, one is not needed.

I use one on longer trips just to keep my pack from getting soaked and adding the extra weight from the water, also keeping items dry is a perk.

Doooglas
10-07-2009, 07:07
You may want to look at the Packa http://www.thepacka.com/

" The worlds only"
I guess he never heard of Wiggy's cagoule :rolleyes:

Doctari
10-07-2009, 07:17
My sleeping bag has gotten wet ONE time, I believe it was ONLY because I had a pack cover on, there was a pocket formed by the PC that would hold about 2" of water if it collected in the bottom of the PC, the rain cover was snug against the bottom of my pack, the part of my sleeping bag that was wet, was at the bottom of my pack. I no longer use a pack cover & haven't had a wet sleeping bag (Or quilt) since. Yep, maybe it was operator error, still, , , , ,

Lyle
10-07-2009, 08:36
My sleeping bag has gotten wet ONE time, I believe it was ONLY because I had a pack cover on, there was a pocket formed by the PC that would hold about 2" of water if it collected in the bottom of the PC, the rain cover was snug against the bottom of my pack, the part of my sleeping bag that was wet, was at the bottom of my pack. I no longer use a pack cover & haven't had a wet sleeping bag (Or quilt) since. Yep, maybe it was operator error, still, , , , ,

That can happen with most of the pack covers I've seen recently, including my own. You do need to take some care when putting it on, plus I quickly reach back occasionally while it's on to feel and make sure I'm not starting to haul a small lake with me. It seldom happens, and is easy to deal with if it does, just pull down on the bottom of the cover, no need to even remove it first. To prevent this, make sure the top of the pack is adequately covered, and leave the bottom a little less so. That works for me - still have never gotten things inside the pack wet (they're in plastic anyway).

The best pack covers I've used were the ones specifically designed for Kelty externals. They were form fitting, with allowances for tent, pad and sleeping bags strapped on the outside as was the norm. The bottom was left open, with just a draw-cord to gather it partially. No way possible for the rain to pool. Did have to be a bit careful when setting your pack down that you didn't set it in wet grass or a puddle, as the bottom of the sleeping bag would contact it.

As in every other aspect of most activities, it pays to know the ins and outs of your particular gear, then adjust your actions to take advantage of their strengths and account for their weaknesses. That's why there is such massive variety in what people find and describe as the "best" solution to each question.

Cedar Tree
10-08-2009, 17:19
" The worlds only"
I guess he never heard of Wiggy's cagoule :rolleyes:

No, I had not heard of Wiggy's cagoule before. But Wiggy's is a Cajoule, not a Parka, no zipper in the front. The Packa is patented. I doubt Wiggy's product is. There is also a similar product made by exped, but it is more of a cagoule too. The Parcho by Bill Gurwell preceded the Packa, but it a cagoule too.
Roger Caffin of BPL offers plans for his "mountain poncho". This is by far the closest thing to the packa. The only difference is his product does not have a drawstring around the packcover, nor does it have a bottom in the packcover. Nice design considering he bought a packa first.

The biggest difference between all of these products and the Packa is the Packa is worn as a packcover only at first and the parka is deployed without removing your backpack. Thats why it is the world's first and only full coverage backpacking rain parka.

Cedar Tree

MikenSalem
10-08-2009, 17:51
I like to set my pack in it's cover under my hammock when it rains, sorta like a boat for my pack. I'm sure a trash bag would do but it's easy to sit in the hammock and access my gear. I do think a Packa is fixin to come my way though

Doooglas
10-09-2009, 03:24

Ever seen it rain 32 inches in one day ?
Come down here. I'll change your luck...:eek::D

faarside
10-09-2009, 10:10
Yes.

[a man of few words].

ShoelessWanderer
10-09-2009, 12:20

I've never seen 32 inches of rain in a day, but I have fallen in many, many creeks...I'm a klutz, i"ll admit it. But, throwing everything in dry bags works, don't have to mess with a pack cover and the pack cover isn't going to save your stuff when you fall in the creek...dry bags do. I also, at the beginning of every season treat my bags with some of the Camp Dry waterproofing stuff, not sure I need to, but hey, it works, no wet sleeping bags, clothes or food for me!

DrRichardCranium
10-09-2009, 14:31
I use a packa for rain jacket and cover. It has the benifits of a jacket when it comes to wind, cold weather, blowing rain - and the benifits of a poncho with cover and ventilation.

I use a trash compactor bag for a liner. One has lasted for hundreds of miles. I cannot say the same for some trash bags I have tried.

Sil nylon for all my stuff sacks. Things that it doesn't matter if they get wet stay outside the sil-nylon and the liner. They do get some protection with the packa.

OK this packa thing looks interesting. But what do you do when you're walking around in the rain WITHOUT your pack on? What happens to all that extra material in the back?

DrRichardCranium
10-09-2009, 14:39
Oh and one other question. I have a Gregory Baltoro 70 backpack, I think it's about 4200 ci.
They say the capacity of the Packa is for a 4000 ci pack. Is there some wiggle room there?

Tipi Walter
10-09-2009, 14:47
Hate pack covers. Way to much of a pain in the butt. I use ziplocs, then throw everything in dry bags and I've "water-proofed" my pack. (You know the cheap stuff in the can from walmart). Everyone I hike with spends a good 10 mins putting on ponchoes and pack covers when it starts raining...I just get to keep hiking...

I think pack covers are crap. And yet I use one. There's no way I could spend the time to wrap every item I carry in my pack with dry bags or ziplocs every morning, and anyway, ziplocs leak. I should get a 55 gallon drum liner and put it inside my 6500 cubic inch pack, but then what? I still have all the stuff in my top lid(4 books and all else)and the junk in my back pockets and the outside hung thermarest with tarp. I actually do carry a massive black plastic garbage bag but I only use it when I'm caught in a downpour, then I depack and cover the whole pack in the thing. Meanwhile I stand around and get soaked and wait for the worst of the rain to stop. It usually does in about 30 minutes. If it looks like I'll be caught in a nonstop 48 hour rainfest, I'll set up somewhere and wait it out in my tent, reading and eating. Why walk in a pouring rain?

I was wearing my covered Mystery Ranch pack recently in the Bald River wilderness and got caught in a hellish rainstorm and hoofed it quickly to the next camp about a mile ahead. By the time I reached camp I had a couple cups of water down in the bottom of my sleeping bag compartment. You'd think after 100 years of making packs we'd come up with a waterproof backpack. End result: my sleeping bag was in it's nice stuff sack and stayed dry.

I've never seen 32 inches of rain in a day, but I have fallen in many, many creeks...I'm a klutz, i"ll admit it. But, throwing everything in dry bags works, don't have to mess with a pack cover and the pack cover isn't going to save your stuff when you fall in the creek...dry bags do. I also, at the beginning of every season treat my bags with some of the Camp Dry waterproofing stuff, not sure I need to, but hey, it works, no wet sleeping bags, clothes or food for me!

I do everything in my power to keep from falling into creeks, and with my usual massive 75lb loads I'd sink like a lead weight. My problem with dry bags is the endless hassle of double layers. It's bad enough to pack up all my stuff in the morning and break camp, I can't imagine doing it twice with each item in it's own dry bag. Pack Liner? Maybe, but it would have to be massive and wouldn't cover everything. See above.

ShoelessWanderer
10-09-2009, 16:05
I do everything in my power to keep from falling into creeks, and with my usual massive 75lb loads I'd sink like a lead weight. My problem with dry bags is the endless hassle of double layers. It's bad enough to pack up all my stuff in the morning and break camp, I can't imagine doing it twice with each item in it's own dry bag. Pack Liner? Maybe, but it would have to be massive and wouldn't cover everything. See above.

I do everything in my power to stay out of creeks also...just doesn't seem to work. I avoid using a pack liner by using the dry bags. Keeps everything organized and dry. My green one is always my clothes, red is always food, blue is always fuel, rope, orange is always first aid kit, etc. Also helps me remember what I forgot as I'm packing.

I believe pack cover vs no pack cover is just one of those fun debates that will NEVER be resolved. You just have to figure out what works best for you.

Doooglas
10-09-2009, 17:13

LOL. Obviously this is a truly SERIOUS hiking forum. I only stumble through the woods with a few fat, Burger Queen chomping touristas, so I only need to carry things to help them out.
5 or 6 miles is a long haul for work.

Alone. I travel somewhat stealth.
My "tour guide' pack..;)
I can pull an idiot out of a river without taking it off :D

http://www.granitegear.com/products/canoegear/expedition/immersion.html

Cedar Tree
10-09-2009, 17:35
OK this packa thing looks interesting. But what do you do when you're walking around in the rain WITHOUT your pack on? What happens to all that extra material in the back?

You will have a big floppy box on your back, but the jacket will function fine. You will get where you don't even notice it. It does look a little funny though.

Oh and one other question. I have a Gregory Baltoro 70 backpack, I think it's about 4200 ci.
They say the capacity of the Packa is for a 4000 ci pack. Is there some wiggle room there?

I have had such a wide range of feedback regarding packs the packa will fit you wouldn't believe it. The original pack I used when I designed the first custom packa, which then became my patterns and eventually the commercial size packa was a 4500 ci kelty. I used to claim 4500 on the packcover volume, but I did get a few feedbacks saying the packcover was not that big. (see the review at thru-hiker.com) So I didn't change the size, I just started claiming 4000 instead.

But to answer your question, yeah there is some wiggle room.
CT

Franco
10-09-2009, 19:46
Why walk in a pouring rain?

Well , possibly because you are in the middle of a multi day walk, looks like tomorrow will also rain and you need to go back to work at the end of it...
But of course with a 75 lbs pack no doubt you can sprint out and make up time.....
Franco

Tipi Walter
10-09-2009, 22:42
Why walk in a pouring rain?

Well , possibly because you are in the middle of a multi day walk, looks like tomorrow will also rain and you need to go back to work at the end of it...
But of course with a 75 lbs pack no doubt you can sprint out and make up time.....
Franco

Most backpackers can't afford to hole up for a day or two in a rainstorm, and many are on a schedule to make miles, such as AT thruhikers, etc. I understand this and understand the need to keep moving in a heavy rain. But some of us have an open-ended schedule which is flexible enough to add 3 or 4 extra days to the trip, and in addition I'm thinking of a recent Whiteblaze thread about the longest time to thruhike the AT, where some guys averaged around 5 or 6 miles a day and took over a year to finish. This is definitely something to consider if a person is able to do it.

As I prep for another trip(October's the best month for backpacking, or nearly so), my GF told me to ditch the pack cover and take an umbrella. I pondered it for a few moments in my peanut sized brain but now I'm having second thoughts. I won't because I don't have one light enough to haul, and I can't imagine dealing with the thing thru brush and over my towering pack.

Franco
10-10-2009, 00:48
Somehow Tipi I cannot visualise you going on the trail with an umbrella..
In fact I can't visualise me going bush with an umbrella. I could be wrong but I don't remember ever seeing anyone here with one apart from day walkers or overnighters.
Seriously having one arm up for hours holding one whilst carrying a pack does not sound that efficient or balanced to me. ( and I use poles anyway)
I have tried the poncho tarp thingo (covering the pack) but that gets caught by bushes/branches and tends to fly in the wind. Maybe the Paka, but I am (sort of) happy with a separate light rain jacket and pants (if I have to) and a thick liner inside the pack. I used to have a cover as well.
This is a sunny moment in Tasmania.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Tasmaniansun.jpg
( middle of summer, 41f and windy at lunchtime, it was snowing at 4500' just above our campsite. Nice and sunny the next afternoon)

Franco

ShoelessWanderer
10-10-2009, 08:52
Most backpackers can't afford to hole up for a day or two in a rainstorm, and many are on a schedule to make miles, such as AT thruhikers, etc. I understand this and understand the need to keep moving in a heavy rain. But some of us have an open-ended schedule which is flexible enough to add 3 or 4 extra days to the trip, and in addition I'm thinking of a recent Whiteblaze thread about the longest time to thruhike the AT, where some guys averaged around 5 or 6 miles a day and took over a year to finish. This is definitely something to consider if a person is able to do it.

Meet this guy at trail days. http://planetcesar.com/ He hiked the AT in 1 year 23 days. Holds the record for longest ever through hike....think I'm going to try and break the record (when I win the lottery)

Del Q
10-10-2009, 10:24
I agree with Sgt Rock, bottom line, a WET PACK gets heavy fast! I use a super lightweight pack cover, everything in sil sacs, bought the whole pack sil sack last year and like that a lot. Have NEVER had an issue with wet gear inside.

Rocket Jones
10-10-2009, 10:29
I've been toying with an idea for a homemade pack cover. Light silnylon, full coverage, mesh bottom to prevent pooling, with a flap near the bottom to use as a sit pad for your pack when you need to set it down on wet ground.

El Toro '94
10-10-2009, 12:02
Didn't use a pack cover on my first trip, and nothing inside my pack (Kelty Super tioga) ever got wet. But then again it was a pretty dry year, and I only hiked in a driving rain 3 or 4 days. I'm using a one (blaze orange) this time, mostly to avoid getting shot, as I will be hiking thru Pennsylvania in the middle of deer season. It will be nice if it keeps the rain out too. ANd it only weighs a couple of ounces at most. Amazing what they've done to reduce the wt. last pack cover I saw must have weighed half a pound, maybe more.

Trooper
10-12-2009, 15:31
Necessary - no. However, it sure is reassuring to know you have an extra barrier helping to keep your clothes, bag, tent, food, etc... dry.

DirtBagger
10-15-2009, 20:04
On the flip side, especially during hunting season, a blaze pack cover and orange windbreaker or rain jacket can be a big plus.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/5/0/2/5/dontshoot.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=20883&original=1&c=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=5025&cutoffdate=-1)

No offense Bearpaw - 'cause I love ya -- but i'd shoot the hell out of that.

scooterdogma
10-16-2009, 07:24
I love the Packa, Cedar Tree was nice enough to let me try the prototype for size small. LOVE IT. I hated putting my rain jacket on, then off, then on ... u get the picture. With the Packa, I just put it on my pack and forget it. When I need the jacket I pull it out from under the Packa, when I don't, I tuck it back in. All this can be done without stopping or pulling off my pack. :banana:banana:banana thePacka Rocks! :banana :banana :banana

Rocketman
10-16-2009, 09:30
Somehow Tipi I cannot visualise you going on the trail with an umbrella..
In fact I can't visualise me going bush with an umbrella. I could be wrong but I don't remember ever seeing anyone here with one apart from day walkers or overnighters.
Seriously having one arm up for hours holding one whilst carrying a pack does not sound that efficient or balanced to me. 1

Franco

I use an umbrella, and I DON'T HOLD IT IN MY HAND !!

I manage to get it held by use of the chest strap and leaning it a little backward so it is touching the top of the pack.

I know in the city, people do hold umbrellas in one hand. But if you aren't in the city, don't think that way.

Just because you imagine holding the umbrella in your hand all day long doesn't mean that that is the only way of doing it.

I do agree, I wouldn't want to hold it in my hand all day long, and therefore I don't.

DavidNH
10-16-2009, 09:53
Wise Old Owl,

If you are doing an extended hike on the AT, it will eventually rain on you. If it rains hard and long all day or for several days you can't have enough rain protection. That is why you want to have pack cover on outside of the pack (completely inadequate on its own however!!) AS WELL AS line your pack on inside with water proof trash bag, AND place stuff that MUST stay dry like your sleeping bag into waterproof stuff sacks. this gives you THREE layers of rain protection.

Don't take chances. Go over board on rain protection. You save weight by adding the extra ounces because dry clothes are far lighter than wet clothes!

DavidNH