PDA

View Full Version : Rain Pants

hangman417
06-01-2004, 18:50
Has anybody tried the PreClip rain pants by Marmot? If so what did you think of them. Or if you have any other suggestions for different rain pants.

Happy
06-01-2004, 22:04
I think most hikers would recommend the Marmot precips very highly (light weight) thou used very infrequently...in the cold weather mostly... and in the spring and fall as backups to your shorts and to use while doing your laundry.

hungryhowie
06-02-2004, 00:27
Precips are fine. You can get nearly the same thing from Red Ledge (the Thunderlight pants) for half of the price and 2/3 of the weight. Marmot's will probably last a little longer (special additional coatings to increase life-span)...but my Red Ledge pants lasted for two years of intensive use before I replaced them with another $35 pair.

Something to consider.

-Howie

Ramble~On
06-02-2004, 06:05
Mine are Columbia ? I think. Anyway...they weigh nothing, do the job fine and I love them....in fact I think I'm gonna go find them right now and kiss them.

VAMTNHIKER
06-02-2004, 07:07
Very happy with Red Ledge... I have zippered version (worth it!)... son has non-zippered. We are happy with both versions. I like the convenience of putting them on over boots.

I saw Bass Pro Shops has their own version ...looked like Red Ledge but with a knock-off label...even had the same display stand.

Uncle Wayne
06-02-2004, 07:13
Precips are fine. You can get nearly the same thing from Red Ledge (the Thunderlight pants) for half of the price and 2/3 of the weight. Marmot's will probably last a little longer (special additional coatings to increase life-span)...but my Red Ledge pants lasted for two years of intensive use before I replaced them with another $35 pair.

Something to consider.

-Howie

I don't know if we got last years models that had been on the shelf all year but my wife and I tried the Red Ledge for the same reasons listed by hungryhowie and were very disapointed. On one of our section hikes it rained 4 out of 5 days and the first time we used them they leaked, both coat and pants on both of us before lunch the first day. It was like they had not been sealed or treated or whatever. We were very surprised because of the high recomendation we were given by the outfitter. After our hike we returned them, got our money back and bought the Marmot Precip from the same dealer. We have been very pleased with the Precip.

hungryhowie
06-02-2004, 10:59
...the first time we used them they leaked, both coat and pants on both of us before lunch the first day. It was like they had not been sealed or treated or whatever...

hmmm...that's the first time I've ever heard about them leaking (at least that easily). I suppose every manufacturer has some 'bad ones' slip through, but to have that bad of leakage on two sets...perhaps they were mis-tagged (or mixed up?) and you really bought wind-gear instead? Mine have a distinct coating on the inside and all seams are taped. The only leaking "problems" that I ever have are when I forget to close my rear pocket on my pants ( :rolleyes: ) and when it rains REALLY hard I get a little trickle (as in a 1-2 drips per minute) in through the Anorak's zipper (since it doesn't have a bombproof velcroed shield like most gore-approved jackets).

Oh well, I'm glad that you found something that works for you anyway...

-Howie

Kerosene
06-02-2004, 11:35
The Frogg Toggs are cheaper and lighter, and seem to be as breathable as any rain pants out there (which isn't saying much).

SGT Rock
06-02-2004, 12:06
I use a pair of ProVent which is the same material as the Frogg Toggs. They are cheap and lite, weighing less than the zip-off legs on my old hiking pants. I figure for about 5.3 ounces I get a pair of extra pants that are also my rain pants. I carry them in all four seasons.

smokymtnsteve
06-02-2004, 16:55
Rain Pants????...you carry rain pants..WHY??

SGT Rock
06-02-2004, 17:02
Cause I likes 'em

smokymtnsteve
06-02-2004, 17:11
well Ok ..but what do ya do with em?

IMO the weight of the rain pants would be better utilized carring a coffee press insuring that a good cup of hot coffee was available at the next rest stop. plus those rain pants are so hot when you are hiking. maybe if you were hiking where temps were going to be in the low 20's but for most spring, summer and fall hiking I don't see the need for them.

SGT Rock
06-02-2004, 17:19
I am looking at adaptiong a coffee press to my use. I like the taste of a good cup of coffee. But I can stil hack an extra 5.3 ounces for my only extra pair of drawers LOL.

smokymtnsteve
06-02-2004, 17:28
drawers ..underwear..I don't wear no underwear..LET FREEDOM REIGN!

firefly
06-04-2004, 13:30
I use the Marmot Precip rain pants and jacket...I bought them when they first came out back in...UG I am getting old. There is lighter stuff out there but I love my precip's. Keeps the skeeters off and keeps me warm and dry..they definitly would go on my "favorite gear" list.

cupcake
06-05-2004, 08:13
i switched from precips to the rei pants --- only because of fit/features. the precips (i think) have elastic at the cuffs, the rei pants don't --- the rei pants are longer in the leg, and they cover more of my shoes because they're not all gathered around my ankles. wt. wise, i don't know -- they're probably close enough that it really doesn't matter. i love lots of different name brand labels, but i also love rei for their customer service. (and, if i lost the receipt, the purchase is still on their computers for three years back).

jamarshall
06-09-2004, 20:31
I just returned a Red Ledge Jacket with the same problem. Everything leaked but the sealed seams. I have a PreCip now, they were 30% off at EMS last week.

snarbles
11-21-2004, 15:41
Are these the ProVent rain gear I keep hearing about?

http://americasathletic.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AAS&Product_Code=2222222&Category_Code=F.UNI

I can't seem to find them on any other site for sale. :confused:

The Solemates
11-21-2004, 18:29
love the precips. good quality for good price. there may be better rain pants out there, but usually they are more expensive. Integral Designs comes to mind...

hikerdude
11-21-2004, 19:08
The Walmart nylon wind pants for $8.83 are about as top of the line as you can get. The ones I wear are navy blue with two white stripes up each side leg to make you feel cool to. They have two front handwarmer pockets and a zipper wallet back pocket, they have a mesh liner in them that makes them feel more like pants on your naked legs and wick sweat away and nylon lined at the bottom with zipper to slip over wet medium running shoes. They have a D.W.F. on them to in case you spill alot of things. I got away with hot coffee on walmart windpants and a whole cheese steak to and lots of pizza sauces. So the D.W.F. works. All for 9-10 ounces. I think they got black ones too, with the same white stripes. I'm probably suppose to wear some fancy mountain biking pants, but I use them for that to, mud all over them now.

What do I think of precips? I think they are outdated since the red ledge full zips came out. And I only save my R.L. for the sunny days:sun The horror, the horror.

SGT Rock
11-21-2004, 19:40
Are these the ProVent rain gear I keep hearing about?

http://americasathletic.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AAS&Product_Code=2222222&Category_Code=F.UNI

I can't seem to find them on any other site for sale. :confused:

Those may be the same ProVent that I have. Same material as Frogg Toggs but with a little different pattern.

Ridge
11-21-2004, 23:01
Has anybody tried the PreClip rain pants by Marmot?
I bought a pair, along with the jacket, when they first appeared on the market. I have put these suckers through the worst conditions and unintentional abuse imaginable. They are worthy.

NICKTHEGREEK
11-22-2004, 08:00
I was a big fan of Marmot's Precip line for the past 2 years. Circumstances put me in the market for some new raingear and I tried the Moonstone Nito Jacket made with a 2.5 layer "storm flight" material. A bit more expensive than precip, but very much better quality, almost to the Arc'teryx level. I'm very pleased with the overall performance I believe it's much better than the precip. I'll be buying the storm flight pants before Spring. They are somewhat heavier due to some cordura where abrasion is a problem. In full summer weather I don't even bother with rain pants.