PDA

View Full Version : SD Lightning XT 1 vs MSR HUBBA

cashout
04-03-2009, 14:15
I am in the market for a double wall solo tent for a section hike (Georgia to TN) of the AT during rainy season and like both the Sierra Designs Lightning XP 1 and of course the always popular Hubba. I have no experience with the SD so looking for any feedback. For me, the cons of the Hubba are width and color.

Here are my personal cons with the Hubba after trying it out:

Width:
Too narrow for me 26" (touch the side walls while flat on my back, and I turn frequently at night. Does seem to feel like a coffin. I am a little bigger than the average joe.

Color:
I frequently like to stealth camp away from shelters (and mice) so the bright colors don’t suit me.

Pros:
-I love the design of the Hubba. Good “true usable” 38” headroom, head doesn't brush top of tent due to cross pole design unlike the Seedhouse SL1 where my head touches the ceiling although the point of the ceiling is measured at 38”.
-Very large Vestible (around 9sq feet)
-Large Front entrance
-Extremely good record of keeping dry during heavy downpour

Based on the stats for the SD Lightning, both tents are the same weight 2lbs 15oz. The SD is shorter in length at 83’ compared to the Hubba’s 86” in length but the SD is wider by 6 inches (32”) I am 6’ tall so that still leaves me 9 inches in length

What I would like to know for anyone who has used the SD Lightning XP 1 is how does the headroom, pole design and overall quality compare to the Hubba.

Thank you in advance!

reddenbacher
04-03-2009, 14:42
the hubba is far more rugged.great tent.have seen a lot of poblems with sd

bruchko
04-03-2009, 14:48
Here's another one to consider. I took this out in the rain in Tennessee a few weeks ago and it performed very well. Weighs in just under 2 pounds and sets up so quickly.

http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/FlyCreekUL1

Franco
04-03-2009, 18:09
hidden clue from the OP :
"Good “true usable” 38” headroom, head doesn't brush top of tent due to cross pole design unlike the Seedhouse SL1 where my head touches the ceiling although the point of the ceiling is measured at 38”."
The Fly Creek is a smaller version of the SL1, even less headroom
Franco

cashout
04-04-2009, 11:45
Thank you for the responses. I will try and find an outfitter around town who might have this particular SD model to see it first hand. If anyone on WB has used or have experience with the SD Lightning XT1, please continue commenting to this post.

Warm regards,

~Cashout

Ramble~On
04-04-2009, 16:44
I looked long and hard at these tents and when I realized how small the XT 1 was I got an XT 2. The XT 2 is a one man tent and I don't care what they say! If you're looking at these online you might want to wait until you can see one in person before buying one!
Another thing I like about the XT 2 is the dual doors and vestibules- side entry. The doors aren't the entire sides but big circles, more than big enough and the fly can be rolled up on both sides if you don't stake the front vestibule and tuck the front fly into the poles...nice tent but the XT2 comes at a price in that it is almost 4 pounds.
Have you looked at a Tartptent Rainbow or a Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo ? Either of these provides a lot more tent than either of the two you're comparing. I have a TT Rainbow and I'd take it anyday over the XT1. I got the XT2 cause I wanted a double wall with full mesh option..the XT 2 fits the bill there.

Pic of XT 2 on AT: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=32560&c=511
The piece of Tyvek to the left of the tent is cut a little larger on all sides than a standard 20"x72" sleeping pad, if you superimpose that inside the XT 2 you'll get an idea of the interior space. I consider the XT 2 to be a one person tent cause if you put two people in there...you'd better be "real" good friends!

scope
04-04-2009, 17:58
These sorts of details and compromises are what finally got me to consider a hammock!

Franco
04-04-2009, 20:19
Not all solo tents are that small. This is pushing it a bit, but you can fit two people inside the TT Scarp 1
The point is, it's big enough for one large/tall person.
( I did this last night at about 10pm, in my spare bedroom, because I just realised that the high bathtub floor could be let down to give a wider inner, so I wanted to see if it worked...)
Franco
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Scarp%201/Scarp-1-4-2.jpg