PDA

View Full Version : Trangia, time to boil

scrivner
04-03-2009, 19:03
Hello,

In pursuit of an ultralight rig I am trying a number of stoves. The idea of an alcohol stove is very attractive: silent, reasonable fuel consumption, fuel available just about anywhere, etc. However, either I am doing something wrong, or the numbers don't make sense. I am not getting the results others seem to be getting, at least according to what I have been reading in this site.

I have a Trangia and have been trying it out under ideal conditions: indoors, no wind, temperature about 74 degrees. To boil 16 oz of water requires 14 to 15 minutes and consumes almost all the fuel in the stove. The water started out at room temperature.

Setting aside the issue of time, at this rate it would seem that I would be burning through a quart of fuel every couple of days, given that the Trangia would be my only stove and that I would use it for meals and hot tea for two people, hardly fuel efficient. Seems like I would wind up having to carry a half gallon of fuel for a week long day trip.

By way of comparison, two of us spent ten days on the John Muir trail a few years ago and used a Gaz stove. Total fuel used was two canisters. Seems more efficient and lighter weight.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Scrivner

KMACK
04-03-2009, 21:04
Some things not right. What kind of fuel are you using and how old is it? What stand are you using? Whats your pot made out of?

Footslogger
04-03-2009, 21:20
I never boil that much water all at once ...but I get a rolling boil with a cup and a half of water in 4-5 minutes.

I use a 0.9 Liter Evernew Ti pot, the Westwind stand and a windscreen made out of aluminum flashing.

'Slogger

KMACK
04-03-2009, 21:22
So you made me do it! Broke out the Trangia set it up in a Clikstand w/screen. Added one (1) oz. of HEET, poured 16 oz of cool tap water into my Ti-Ware pot w/lid and had a full boil in 5 min 15 seconds. All done inside at 68 dergees. Snuffed out flame and still had a small amount of fuel left in the stove. So like I said, some things not right.

mister krabs
04-03-2009, 21:41
Try not filling the trangia all the way up, just use an ounce of fuel for two cups of water. As you get better at it, you may use even less. I made a stove similar to a trangia and it performed much better with less fuel in it than more. I'd guess that less fuel heats up easier, vaporizing to make it burn hotter. Be sure to use your windscreen nice and close to the pot. Use your pot lid. Don't set the stove directly on a rock or concrete, put it on a piece of foil. It will burn hotter.

JaxHiker
04-03-2009, 22:47
Holy crap the pains to which I'll go. I just boiled 2 cups of water with 1 oz of fuel in 7:02. Then I proceeded to pour boiling water down my leg. :( I'll have to wait for the stove to cool to see how much I have left.

scrivner
04-04-2009, 00:36
Folks,

Thanks for info. Something wrong for sure. My results are VERY different.

I tried it again, just now. Sixteen oz of water from an open bottle sitting on the counter; this is just enough for two cups of tea, hardly what I would call a lot of water. Pot is the light aluminum one that comes with the Trangia, windscreen also Trangia. I tried this same pot on my Snowpeak and water boiled about half again as fast as in the Snowpeak titanium pot. So I don't think it's the pot. Fuel is from can I got from my son, can says "isopropyl alcohol."

Not much change this time, still 14 minutes, 30 seconds. My wife thinks I've lost my mind.

Any other ideas?

Scrivner

scrivner
04-04-2009, 00:37
Oh, forgot, used more than half the fuel in stove, don't know how much that is in ounces.

Scrivner

ShakeyLeggs
04-04-2009, 02:52
Folks,

Thanks for info. Something wrong for sure. My results are VERY different.

I tried it again, just now. Sixteen oz of water from an open bottle sitting on the counter; this is just enough for two cups of tea, hardly what I would call a lot of water. Pot is the light aluminum one that comes with the Trangia, windscreen also Trangia. I tried this same pot on my Snowpeak and water boiled about half again as fast as in the Snowpeak titanium pot. So I don't think it's the pot. Fuel is from can I got from my son, can says "isopropyl alcohol."

Not much change this time, still 14 minutes, 30 seconds. My wife thinks I've lost my mind.

Any other ideas?

Scrivner

Theres your problem right there. Wrong type of alcohol. Should be using denatured alcohol.

mister krabs
04-04-2009, 06:58
burn all the fuel out of your stove and start over with just one ounce of HEET in the yellow bottle from the auto parts store, or Denatured alcohol from the hardware store. Isopropyl burns cold and sooty and has lots of water in it.

KMACK
04-04-2009, 07:59
Yep, its the fuel!

scrivner
04-04-2009, 14:21
Thanks guys. I'll go get some denatured alcohol today, right after I finish banging me head against the wall.

Scrivner

sticks&stones
04-04-2009, 14:43
boil time depends on elevation, humidity, and temp, as well as fuel.and/or mixture of fuel.

Johnny Thunder
04-04-2009, 17:26
It's not just the fuel. There's something wrong with the burner. Next time you fire it up take a picture of the flame with the lights off. It should be a ring of jets spreading outward and a central flame (like a sterno stove) in the center. I was forced to use every type of alcohol imaginable with that stove. I even used rubbing alcohol and was able to boil the two cups in less than 10 minutes.

Seriously, though...it's not the fuel if you're still having problems. You probably have a faulty burner.

On another note: If you're looking to create an "Ultralight Rig" the Trangia is the wrong alcohol stove for you. Make a soda can stove if weight matters that much to you. You'll save a minimum of 6 ounces (if you do it right) and will only lose the ability to store extra fuel in the stove.

oops56
04-04-2009, 18:36
Check the holes with a small paper clip make sure no plug also if the cap been off for some time the wick inside will get moisture in it must dry out in oven on low not to long just get it hot here some burning

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/th_alcohol5.jpg (http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/?action=view&current=alcohol5.jpg)