PDA

View Full Version : Thru-hike in 18 days?

stranger
04-04-2009, 04:18
Heya, have some time later on this year for some hiking and would rather thru-hike a new trail than just do another 250 section of the AT, plus I'm going on the AT for atleast 1000 miles next year, so this brings me to the Benton MacKaye Trail.

Saying that, the earliest I can start hiking is most likely the morning of the 27th of September, and I need to be back in NY to pick up someone from the airport on the 17th of October. Assuming I will need a few days leeway I'm considering a thru-hike around the 18 day mark.

So, in a nutshell, what has the experience been of other experienced long distance hikers along this trail in terms of daily mileage? Would the terrain be considered moderate? For a comparison I would consider the AT section of GA moderate. Last year leaving Springer I was easily doing 18 mile days and got to Hiawassee the evening of my 4th day, I will be atleast as fit as I was starting out last year.

From those who have substantial experience along this trail and perhaps the AT, would 17-20 mile days be realistic in your opinion? I will be relatively fit and pack will weight around 27-28lbs all up. I also like my zero days, so that will mean doing a few 25's to keep up my overall average. I have no doubt that I CAN hike this trail in the time allowed, I guess I'm just wondering if a extra week might make a big difference, which I don't have unfortunately.

Thoughts?

omegaman13
04-04-2009, 05:22
Most who have been on this trail say it is harder than the AT in GA. I would only do 8-15 MPD, but that's just the speed I walk at(I love my breaks!). If you want to do 25 milers everyday more power to ya', but don't underestimate this trail or you will regret it. I would consider this a 24-28 day hike. I know one member on here di the entirety of it in about the time(if not less) than what you want to do it in.

Egads
04-04-2009, 07:16
It's only slightly harder than the AT. 20 mpd is doable. Thru hiking it in 18 days requires 16 mpd which isn't too hard.

Rockhound
04-04-2009, 07:53
Mags just hiked it earlier this year in 2 weeks. He would probably be the best source for recent BMT advice and experience. SGT Rock also hiked it last year.

dixicritter
04-04-2009, 09:03
Mags just hiked it earlier this year in 2 weeks. He would probably be the best source for recent BMT advice and experience. SGT Rock also hiked it last year.

Exactly what I was about to say. Also SGT Rock put together a guide that I know he will share. He's in Franklin this weekend will be back Sunday.

stranger
04-05-2009, 00:55
I don't recall stating I would be doing back to back 25's, but thanks for your concern Omegaman.

I will PM Sgt Rock and Mags - thanks for the information folks, this trail looks quite good!

Mags
04-05-2009, 01:47
Hi Stranger! I am going to answer your questions publicly if you don't mind. Figure it may help others. :)

Sgt. Rock can help you with the resupply info He (literally) wrote the book on it!

The BMT is not blazed as well as the AT, but it is adequate. Probably on par with the PCT: Easy tread to follow overall, enough markings without being over done IMO. You do have to pay attention in certain spots...but nothig to arduous. In the wilderness ares you will need basic map skills as there are no blazings in the wilderness areas. Easy enough if you know how to orientate a map and use a compass.

It is a touch more difficult than the AT, but not as hard as northern New England. There were some ups-and-downs betweem the Hiawasee River and Deals Gap that my legs let me know were not easy terrain. :)

Here's what I wrote in my journal for the overall BMT impressions:
(My main BMT page can be found at:
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Benton-MacKaye-Trail/Benton-MacKaye-Trail-Thru-Hike.html

BMT IMPRESSIONS

The Benton MacKaye Trail is an excellent trail for anyone who wants to explore the southern Appalachians and see something a bit more off the beaten path than the Appalachian Trail.

It is a trail that only has 3 shelters (one of which is .2 from the start!) so primitive camping needs to be done. By eastern trail standards, the trail is sparsely marked and in the wilderness areas, you actually need to pull out your map at the junctions.
The BMT reminded me a little bit of the PCT in terms of skill sets needed as far as camping and navigation goes.

Comparatively few people use the trail. Not counting road areas, I saw six hikers and four trail maintainers. The backpackers were within a mile or less of a parking lot at that!

The BMT is NOT a social trail. If you are looking for a trail culture, you may want to do another trail.

Ideally, the trail would best be done in Fall (the colors) or in Spring (flowers blooming). I am not going to quibble with the gift of time I received, though!

As I mentioned earlier in my journal, I was curious how I would find the southern Appalachians more than eleven years after I first hiked the AT.

In 1998 , though I was younger, I am not the shape I am in now. I am also a much more experienced outdoors person and carry a much lighter load than eleven years ago. With the exception of the stretch between the Hiawassee and Deals Gap (edge of the Smokies), I found the trail relatively moderate overall in terms of grade. If I was new to backpacking, I suspect I'd find the trail every bit as challenging as I found the AT in 1998, however. (As an aside, I did some hiking in New Hampshire this past fall. (http://www.pmags.com/index.php/component/option,com_mojo/Itemid,/p,3/) The tread and grades were every bit as hard as I remember! Northern New England still has the toughest trails (at least physically) of any I've ever hiked)

The BMT, and eastern hiking in general, is not hiked for awe inspiring views and grand moments. Rather, eastern hiking is done for the subtle, more intimate moments. The sun filtering through the leaves. Hiking through a tunnel of rhododendrons and listening to the nearby creek. The subtle smell of vegetation in the air. The interplay of dark greens, soft greys and browns on a foggy day. What I also enjoyed about the BMT is how you'd often look off the ridges and see NOTHING but woods. Very rare out East. The BMT has a remote, almsot wild, feeel that is not often seen in the Appalachians.

If you want a southern Appalachian hiking experience that is more wild than the Appalachian Trail, hike the BMT! I loved the trail and would not hesitate recommending the experience. You do need a little more skills than the typical shelter-to-shelter hiking of the AT, but the rewards of hiking the BMT are wonderful for anyone who cares to open themselves up to the BMT experience.

stranger
04-05-2009, 02:46
Thanks for the information Mags, now I am going to have to "out" myself here a bit!

OK, deep breath..., I don't know how to use a compass, there, it's done!

3000 miles along the AT, two Long Trail thru-hikes, over 500 miles hiking in New Zealand, etc... I've just never had to learn before.

So, now that I've exposed myself : ) - how critical is the map and compass part? I mean, is it just a matter of checking out the map at junctions, looking around at the natural features and making a decision, or are we talking taking a bearing and following it?

I can read maps, I understand contours and I can look around and identify features - but as for using a compass, no can do!

So saying that... where do you see me sitting?

Thanks again

Egads
04-05-2009, 07:20
Compass skills are not really required on this trail once you get started in the correct direction. However, map reading skills really do help. As Mags said, the wilderness areas are not blazed.

Mags
04-05-2009, 13:20
I mean, is it just a matter of checking out the map at junctions, looking around at the natural features and making a decision, or are we talking taking a bearing and following it?

That's about it. If you know the red arrow points north, you have all the knowledge you need to hike the few areas that are not blazed well. :) As Egads said, basic map reading is probably more useful. Still, good to know that "Hey..this trail goes East..I want go North." ;) I would not sweat it..it really is not that hard. Based on what you told me, you'll do fine.

Ox97GaMe
04-05-2009, 22:49
When I hiked the BMT (in 4 different section hikes), I didnt use a compass at all. I dont remember having nay junctions that required me to study too hard in order to determine which way I needed to hike. Basically, you will come to a junction and need to know whether to turn right, left, or continue straight. That was the extent that I needed to use the maps, other than to know how close I was getting to water supplies. In Sept, you may run into areas where water is hard to come by in some areas. I hiked the GA section over a Thanksgiving week and found myself rationing water between Rich Mtn and the shelter near Cherry Log.

Solitude is definitely a thing to be considered on this trail. You may see some folks in the early section where it crosses with the AT to Long Branch Falls, near the Toccoa River suspension bridge, in the Cahuttas, and in the Smokies during the time you are hiking, but the sections between will be very sparse of hikers. I saw 2 day hikers and 3 hunters during my traverses of the trail sections.

The sections in the Smokies all have green placquards with BMT and arrows at all trail junctions. That wasnt the case the first time I hiked those trails. You shouldnt have too much trouble following the trail from Deals Gap to the Big Creek Ranger Station. The GA section is pretty well marked now as well, except maybe in the Cahuttas. I havent been on those trails in about 5 years, so cant speak to any new blazing that might have been done there.

Also, be aware of snakes that time of year. They will be starting to get sluggish, due to the cooler temps and a bit more irratible. There are several reports of snake bites in the Cahuttas each fall by hunters.

Have a great hike.

stranger
04-08-2009, 05:27
Thanks for the information, I am still waiting to hear back from Sgt. Rock so hopefully I can catch up with him at some stage. Sounds like I should be up for this trail, and I have some time to perhaps learn some basic orienteering before September anyway, so might do that.

Thanks for the snake warning, but to be honest I will be glad to rub shoulders with Appalachian snakes again after some of my experiences in Australia!

I never thought I would find rattlesnakes and copperheads cute!

JAK
04-08-2009, 09:31
Heya, have some time later on this year for some hiking and would rather thru-hike a new trail than just do another 250 section of the AT, plus I'm going on the AT for atleast 1000 miles next year, so this brings me to the Benton MacKaye Trail.

Saying that, the earliest I can start hiking is most likely the morning of the 27th of September, and I need to be back in NY to pick up someone from the airport on the 17th of October. Assuming I will need a few days leeway I'm considering a thru-hike around the 18 day mark.

So, in a nutshell, what has the experience been of other experienced long distance hikers along this trail in terms of daily mileage? Would the terrain be considered moderate? For a comparison I would consider the AT section of GA moderate. Last year leaving Springer I was easily doing 18 mile days and got to Hiawassee the evening of my 4th day, I will be atleast as fit as I was starting out last year.

From those who have substantial experience along this trail and perhaps the AT, would 17-20 mile days be realistic in your opinion? I will be relatively fit and pack will weight around 27-28lbs all up. I also like my zero days, so that will mean doing a few 25's to keep up my overall average. I have no doubt that I CAN hike this trail in the time allowed, I guess I'm just wondering if a extra week might make a big difference, which I don't have unfortunately.

Thoughts?As a rough guide, for moderate terrain, 24 miles per day.
Divide that by whatever percentage you are of your ideal hiking weight.
For example, I would ideally be about 160 pounds plus 20 pounds of stuff.
If at 220 pounds with 50 pounds, I should only expect 16 miles per day. For very rugged terrain, you can divide by as much as 2 compared to moderate terrain. I don't find easy terrain any faster than moderate terrain.

stranger
04-10-2009, 20:02
Thanks for that, but I'm not too concerned with my ability to cover miles, I have that down to a science by now. I guess I was asking more about terrain and other people's experiences with terrain along the BMT in comparison to the GA/NC section of the AT.

For example, many people would say that you should expect to average about 8-12 miles per day leaving Springer Mountain on the AT, where as my experience has been an average of about 16 miles per day. So likewise, if someone said you should expect to average "X" miles per day along the BMT, I wouldn't dismiss that, but I certainly would "adapt" that to my experiences over the years, and come up with my own figure.

In any case, it looks like a hike in 18 days is more than realistic, which was my major concern, just gotta brush up on my map skills!