PDA

View Full Version : I am becoming a trail angel until i can thruhike

YoungMoose
04-04-2009, 11:51
I am in about 10 minutes from the trail in new york. my dad said that he is willing to drive to the bear mountian bridge. By my house there is a walmart, super markets and other little stores. I understand that you would be near the bear mountian inn but everything there is overpriced. I will also most likely leave some drinks near the trail. I will be most likely leave a sign by the trail with a number to call if you need anything.

A-Train
04-04-2009, 12:01
Cool, I'm sure that will be appreciated. There has always been a lack of affordable amenities or amenities at all in that section. Lots of hikers get frustrated in Harriman and need a little magic or a break.

Kirby
04-04-2009, 15:46
Just don't leave a sign on the trail, as you'll run into legal issues.

Feral Bill
04-04-2009, 18:10
You know Harriman, right? I bet people would love some cold drimks at the dry shelters, like West Mountain. It makes a nice day hike up there, too.

summitnh
04-04-2009, 18:33
Thanks

TrippinBTM
04-04-2009, 19:13
that's a cool thing to do, good work.

Kirby
04-04-2009, 19:13
Leave some gallon jugs of water at that shelter where you have to use a pump. Just remember to check them from time to time, take them away when they're empty.

Many Walks
04-04-2009, 19:37
Outwardboundbackpack, it's great that you and your Dad are considerate of other people and try to help them. I hope when you thru hike the angels shower you with lots of good trail magic! Enjoy your Trail Angel and Thru Hiker experience!

Blissful
04-05-2009, 21:03
Sure the hikers will like that very much. :)

shelterbuilder
04-05-2009, 21:34
I am in about 10 minutes from the trail in new york. my dad said that he is willing to drive to the bear mountian bridge. By my house there is a walmart, super markets and other little stores. I understand that you would be near the bear mountian inn but everything there is overpriced. I will also most likely leave some drinks near the trail. I will be most likely leave a sign by the trail with a number to call if you need anything.

It's great that you (and your dad) are willing to work a little trail magic from time to time. Let me just throw in one small caution (and this is NOT meant to discourage you) about the drinks: it's better if you can stay with the drinks during the day, so that any trash (cans, bottles, etc.) goes back out with YOU instead of the local maintainer. Many times, a cooler that's just left by the trail for a few days becomes "abandoned trash" when the local maintainer comes along.

Besides, it's more fun to actually meet the folks on the receiving end of your trail magic, and you can learn LOTS from these people about equipment, technique, etc.

BipolarStroller
04-05-2009, 21:37

Ya know with the economy in the dumper and moral starting to follow, it sure is nice that there are people out there still willing to help others. It makes me hopeful.:rolleyes:
It's those that give back and give to the trail community that makes many peoples dreams and goals attainable, hats off to you and all Trail Angels. When you experience the AT, you meet some of the most wonderful people on this Earth, seriously......now, on Whiteblaze.net............lol, you'll see.;)

YoungMoose
04-07-2009, 19:11
It's great that you (and your dad) are willing to work a little trail magic from time to time. Let me just throw in one small caution (and this is NOT meant to discourage you) about the drinks: it's better if you can stay with the drinks during the day, so that any trash (cans, bottles, etc.) goes back out with YOU instead of the local maintainer. Many times, a cooler that's just left by the trail for a few days becomes "abandoned trash" when the local maintainer comes along.

Besides, it's more fun to actually meet the folks on the receiving end of your trail magic, and you can learn LOTS from these people about equipment, technique, etc.i never though of staying with the drinks but that brings up a good point. i dont mind staying with it

Pokey2006
04-07-2009, 19:22
I think as long as you check on the cooler frequently, at least once a day, you'll be OK.

Ox97GaMe
04-07-2009, 21:20
Outward. As one of the more prominent trail angels in the south, here are a few suggestions that will help you a lot.

A) plan, plan, plan. Understand where the shelters are located in that section. This will help you identify the time(s) of the day hikers will be crossing roads where you would want to set up. It will also help identify what type of stuff you might want to take with you.

B) Ask questions of the first groups of hikers you meet. Find out what they are needing/wanting when they get to those locations. This will help you plan (see A above) and prepare for your next trail magic trip.

C) Dont leave unattended items. Although this is done with good intentions, it usually has negative results. As was mentioned earlier, trash becomes an issue. If a maintainer sees items on their section, they are required to remove it and it becomes trash. Sodas left in a stream can become contaminated with all sorts of microbes and microorganisms. Hikers dont think to sterilize a can of soda sitting in a stream that they would treat to drink water from. Food items left near the trail attract non-hiker critters. Fed critters usually result in dead critters eventually.

D) Part of the magic is seeing the expression on a hikers face when you offer the magic. It is very rewarding for both giver and receiver. You wont want to miss that part of the experience.

E) Make note of the weather for the day's magic. This could alter what you decide to bring. A hot, sunny day means hikers want/need different items than a rainy day. They always like food items and drinks. It will also affect how you set up for the day for giving out the magic.

F) Bring a few extra chairs. hikers will want sit down and take a break and talk while enjoying the trial magic. if you have folding chairs, or patio type chairs, this is perfect for them. Doesnt have to be fancy, just effective. Of course, a good rock or log would work too, if you find a trailhead that has something like that. Nothing worse than than having to sit on the gravel in the parking lot.

Shoot me a PM if you want to discuss in further detail. A trail angel never reveals all the secrets in a public forum. ; )

sasquatch2014
04-07-2009, 22:27
Glad to hear that you are getting involved. I maintain a section in NY over by the train stop. I will let you know next time we have a work project and maybe you and your dad can come and get involved in that aspect as well. I meet tons of hikers during the summers while out working on the trail.