PDA

View Full Version : Need for overquilt?

RichardD
04-04-2009, 14:28
I received my first Hammock yesterday. A Hennesy Explorer Ultralite. It seems very comfortable so I am sure I will like it and now I need to order the quilts to stay warm.
This Summer I will be hilking from Damascus to Harpers Ferry on the AT in June and part of July, then I will be hiking a part of the Colorado Trail from Molas Lake to Durango early in August.
From reading many posts on this forum I am certain I want to order a JRB underquilt but I don't know if I need to go to the expense of ordering the 3 season quilt set. I have WM 20 degree Alpinlite bag and wondered if this would adequately do the job of an overquilt if unzipped. I have not had the chance to observe other hikers with hammocks and quilts so my question may seem mute to many of you but it's new territory to me.
I also wonder whether I should get one of the sil nylon under covers to protect the under quilt. I purchased the hammock with the Sil Nylon Hex tarp which seems to offer a lot of protection.
My prorities when hiking are:
First, I must be dry, comfortable and warm at night,
Second, I need to achieve this at the lightest possible weight.
In recent years I have hiked with a tarptent, Insulated Air core mat and WM bag and they have served me well.
Any advice would be wecome.

Egads
04-04-2009, 14:39
IMO, the Alpinlite will be overkill in June thru August. I usually use a ridgerest and a JRB nest for an overquilt in summer months. Sometimes I use the nest as an underquilt and use a fleece bag as an overquilt, but this is a heavy setup. I use the JRB RMS & nest when it cools off. I add the ridgerest, down booties, and a Montbell Inner down parka with pants for cold weather. I have hammocked down to 18* with this set up.

Joe8484
04-04-2009, 16:37
Maybe I missed it but what are you using for insulation on bottom?

scope
04-04-2009, 16:43
Maybe I missed it but what are you using for insulation on bottom?

Looks like he's going to be ordering an underquilt, and asking if he needs the set to have a top quilt.

Your bag will do just fine as a top quilt.

Oms
04-04-2009, 21:22
I think the bag will be fine as well. I'd be more concerned with the hex (stock) tarp. If I were using a under quilt instead of a pad then you may want to consider an under cover. I once had a bad night with high winds. Had it rained it would have soaked the under quilt. The tarp was pressed against the side of the hammock which left the quilt exposed on the ends. Tarp did hold up, much to my surprise. The pad does not hang down as low. You may want to start with using a pad to see what you like and what you think you might want to change before investing a lot of money. There's lots of trial and errors.

kayak karl
04-04-2009, 22:28
the Nest is a good under quilt. i used my Mt Washington as under and Nest as over quilt last weekend 45*. worked great. next week im using the nest under and a 40* big angus for over.(i cut off the pad envelope and the zipper. quilt is 48" wide, 84" long and tapered @ 24 oz.) considering i got the bag for $90 at a campmor sale. not bad. above 50* i wear clothes (not just boxers) and no quilt. above 60* i dont hike:)

point i want to make is test things out. you got time to do it. have fun with it and keep on hanging.

KK

RichardD
04-04-2009, 23:00
Thanks for the input. Today I have been studying Hennessy's underpad and silnylon under cover. It sounds as though it might do the job and for less weight and less money than the underquilt. Temperatures could fall into high 20's on the Co trail in August, I doubt that I will experience temperatures lower than the 40's in June on the section of AT that I will be hiking.
Trials are problematical since I live in the Southwest where we don't have trees. I have one tree in my garden and I am afraid that much use of the hammock there will tear down my patio to which I attach the other end.
I have only one weekend available before my Summer trip (and to backpack in trees means 9000 ft or thereabouts in New Mexico which would need 4 season gear at this time of year) so I need to get things reasonably right first time around.
What is the concensus on Hennesy's supershelter (Sil nylon undercover and open cell pad). Do you think this undercover combined with my WM bag as an overquilt or even lighter 32 synthetic bag would work for the AT in June and the supershelter with WM bag and down jacket for the Co trail.
Again input is very much appreciated.

MedicineMan
05-02-2009, 22:57
first just a reminder that I think the JRB's quilt(s) hung the moon. I use them 98% of the times I'm hanging, but there are other things to play around with.
Last week I used a Big Agnes air core (shorty) and a Speer Pad Extender combo...air temp was 46-67F but no wind---on top I wore a thermawrap parka and a nunatak arc AT...very cozy.
Remember the Speer Pad Extender is for people wanting to hang but who already have a therm-a-rest type pad; this lets you get into hammocking without nec. having to shell out the money for an underquilt. Surely if you keep hanging you either make an underquilt or buy one; and if you go to the extreme temps while hanging you'll probably end up with a Speer Pod; but in the mean time play around with the variants.

Alaskanhkr23
05-02-2009, 23:07
why cant u just use a sleepin bag in a hammock ?

MedicineMan
05-02-2009, 23:25
it's a pain and for several reasons....getting in and out of the sleeping bag is a pain, compressing the insulation while laying on/in the bag makes it worthless....that's why the underquilts came into being, along with top quilts--yes you've essentially cut a sleeping bag in half and put the bottom half under the hammock where your body weight doesnt compress it....
After the UQs came about there was a lot of effort/trial error in coming up with a shape that fits the bottom of a hammock when occupied...ultimately you'll see that the occupied hammock bottom is not square and not flat (at all) but a square with drawstrings and smartly applied bungie can approximate the desired shape----better UQs are modified squares to further increase the imulation when applied.
Helpful?

east_stingray
05-03-2009, 01:29
I'd try the bag first too... you may decide you want a quilt to replace it, but using a bag you already own first will give you a better idea of what will work for you. Try it out in the back yard and see what happens. If it's a pain to get into or just doesn't work, then I'd start looking for a quilt.

MedicineMan
05-03-2009, 01:53
is hammock dependent-most use the Hennessey and it's harder in that type of hammock-far easier in a Speer type hammock. Def. give it a go in the back yard....if you've always been a ground dweller you'll be surprised at how cool the hammock feels even in the 60s.

east_stingray
05-03-2009, 10:23
Like medicine man said...over on hammockforums the general consensus I've gotten is that most people need insulation below them if the temp is below 65 or 70. That was a surprise to me, because on the ground I'd be sweating at those temps.

MedicineMan
05-03-2009, 21:18
I'm lucky to live at almost 4000 feet ----so far no air conditioning required---heat is another matter.
But every other week I live in the lowlands of Bristol....it gets hot down here. What I discovered is that a Walmart hammock stand and an el cheapo oscilating fan and even in the house with A.C. off I have to have an underquilt!
Think, the air from the fan hits the bottom of the hammock and enjoys a venturi which speeds up the air even more enhancing the cooling; granted it's a thinner UQ but it is still required.
I know sleeping in a hammock at home isn't for everyone but why not get double duty out of your stuff and save on the electrical bill.

Wags
05-06-2009, 00:09
a sleeping bag can always be a quilt as long as it has a zipper. i still don't understand the fascination over quilts.

take-a-knee
05-06-2009, 08:48
a sleeping bag can always be a quilt as long as it has a zipper. i still don't understand the fascination over quilts.

1) An opened sleeping bag is about 15 inches wider at the top than a quilt sized for a hammock sleeper.

2) The hood on the sleeping bag flops around in your face.

3) The unneeded zipper rubs and wears your $200 hammock needlessly.

4) A quilt of the same warmth is at least a half pound lighter.

5) A quilt is a much simpler DIY project than a sleeping bag.

Wags
05-06-2009, 11:00
that is likely all true TAK, but my point was that if i already have a sleeping bag then why spend $$$ on a quilt? i understand its benefits, but don't feel those benefits are worth spending the $ on, for me

1- i can simply pull my sleeping bag in towards me to take up that extra space
2- the hood doesn't bother me. it can be tucked
3- the zipper has been needed by me at times, to provide extra warmth, plus if i'm lazy and sleep at a shelter it's nice to have
4- there is always a lighter piece of gear available in any and all cases of all gear
5- i can't sew, so that doesn't matter to me

RichardD
05-17-2009, 23:06
Thanks for the input.
I purchased a Supershelter from Hennessy and I am disappointed with it. I found it cold at 50 degrees with strong winds (without spaceblanket). I cut a spaceblanket to fit and tried it out in Lincoln NF last weekend. It was warm enough but oh what a pain to get installed and to get in and out of the hammock! Temperature only dropped to 50.
This week I ordered a Jacks R better Nest. I imagine the slil Nylon undercover part of my supershelter is still usefull to add rain protection to the underquilt but the open cell pad was a waste. Fortunately the pad was quite inexpensive. The other problem was the huge bulk of the open cell pad, it is lightweight enough but oh so bulky!
I really had no trouble getting into my sleeping bag when inside the hammock but actually used it quite successfully as a top quilt last weekend. With luck I should have my underquilt and have time to adjust it properly before I leave on my trip in two weeks.

peter_pan
05-18-2009, 17:44
Thanks for the input.
I purchased a Supershelter from Hennessy and I am disappointed with it. I found it cold at 50 degrees with strong winds (without spaceblanket). I cut a spaceblanket to fit and tried it out in Lincoln NF last weekend. It was warm enough but oh what a pain to get installed and to get in and out of the hammock! Temperature only dropped to 50.
This week I ordered a Jacks R better Nest. I imagine the slil Nylon undercover part of my supershelter is still usefull to add rain protection to the underquilt but the open cell pad was a waste. Fortunately the pad was quite inexpensive. The other problem was the huge bulk of the open cell pad, it is lightweight enough but oh so bulky!
I really had no trouble getting into my sleeping bag when inside the hammock but actually used it quite successfully as a top quilt last weekend. With luck I should have my underquilt and have time to adjust it properly before I leave on my trip in two weeks.

RichardD,

Please DO NOT PUT OVER A JRB Nest.... It does not have enough space to let the Nest fully loft....It will trap moisture in the Nest... Overall you will have a less effective answer....The Nest is DWR and under an adequate tarp will not get wet from side rain or splash.

Pan

take-a-knee
05-18-2009, 18:06
RichardD,

Please DO NOT PUT OVER A JRB Nest.... It does not have enough space to let the Nest fully loft....It will trap moisture in the Nest... Overall you will have a less effective answer....The Nest is DWR and under an adequate tarp will not get wet from side rain or splash.

Pan

I used my JRB Nest on the BMT last month. I did everything wrong one night. I camped in a gap (read-wind tunnel). I picked two trees perpendicular to the gap (read-lined up with the wind tunnel) mainly 'cause it was perfectly calm at dusk and I wasn't thinking. The wind started blowing pretty hard during the night and it POURED. My Macat Deluxe kept my hammock and UQ nice and dry. With the stock Hennessy tarp everything, including me, would have been soaked.

JoeHiker
05-19-2009, 16:38
My first trip with the HH was with a WM Alpinlite. It was a real pain in the Hammock. I was much happier when I finally bought the overquilt.

winger
05-20-2009, 08:26
using the Hennessy sil nylon from the super shelter (minus the foam pad) BETWEEN the nest and the underside of the hammock? I then use the WS2 on the outside of the nest.

RichardD
05-21-2009, 22:18
Thanks, I am thinking I will leave the supershelter at home.
Although I have not tested in the rain yet (it does not rain often here) the Hennessy sil nylon hex appears to have plenty of coverage so I doubt the underquilt would get wet.
I don't have the nest just yet, I accidently received the No Sniveler instead. I sure do like it but I have spent enough already. I will use my WM bag. I really did not find it much of a problem to get into the bag, it was much more of a problem to get in and out of the hammock with the supershelter in place.
I was hoping the supershelter would work with the nest, I am rather disappointed to hear that it won't.

Oms
05-24-2009, 09:01
RD, just something I found using JRB quilts. I started out with a nest and then bought a Hudson River for my second UQ for my son's hammock. The reason I switched was that I found it easier to push the UQ to the side, slide in, reach out and move it back into position. I had a hard time closing the Nest and found it open a couple of times when I woke cold. It's also cheaper and slightly lighter. Just a thought. Not sure if anyone else has had the same problem.

take-a-knee
05-24-2009, 11:12
RD, just something I found using JRB quilts. I started out with a nest and then bought a Hudson River for my second UQ for my son's hammock. The reason I switched was that I found it easier to push the UQ to the side, slide in, reach out and move it back into position. I had a hard time closing the Nest and found it open a couple of times when I woke cold. It's also cheaper and slightly lighter. Just a thought. Not sure if anyone else has had the same problem.

I'm just the opposite, I think a JRB Nest is a must have for a Hennessy Hammock.

RichardD
05-25-2009, 20:03
I took a last trial run with my hammock and nest at the weekend. I hiked the Crest trail in Lincoln National Forest. The nest worked just fine and I experienced no cold from underneath. The temperature in my hammock dropped to 47 degrees but no wind. I missed the rain so I have still have no experience of my hammock in the rain. I think the nest is well enough protected by the hex tarp.
I had not figured how ataching the nest velcro to the hammock velcro would help. I had more luck sealing the nest closed then seperately ensuring a secure good velcro seal on the hammock.
Next weekend I leave for my big trip. At the last minute my sister is flying in from England to join me on the hike. I will take one of the free scout hammocks for her to try, she will either use it with a sleeping pad or the Tarptent Contrail that we bought for her last hike with me.

kayak karl
05-25-2009, 22:30
I took a last trial run with my hammock and nest at the weekend. I hiked the Crest trail in Lincoln National Forest. The nest worked just fine and I experienced no cold from underneath. The temperature in my hammock dropped to 47 degrees but no wind. I missed the rain so I have still have no experience of my hammock in the rain. I think the nest is well enough protected by the hex tarp.
I had not figured how ataching the nest velcro to the hammock velcro would help. I had more luck sealing the nest closed then seperately ensuring a secure good velcro seal on the hammock.
Next weekend I leave for my big trip. At the last minute my sister is flying in from England to join me on the hike. I will take one of the free scout hammocks for her to try, she will either use it with a sleeping pad or the Tarptent Contrail that we bought for her last hike with me.
have a great time:) when you return consider a zipper modification so you can top load. :sun http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3600&highlight=zipper

Wags
05-29-2009, 23:41
same thing happened to me TAK on memorial day. was out sectioning near boiling springs when we got blasted w/ a thunderstorm. it was sunny and a slight breeze most of the day. i had my macat deluxe set up w/ a hiking pole awning facing the other dudes i was in camp with (2 tenters, BA fly creek and SMD lunar solo. 1 other hammocker using blue cheapo tarp). needless to say the wind changed directions during the course of the storm and i sat in my hammock holding down the corner of the tarp i had tied to the hiking pole. for about 20 minutes i sat there praying that my other stakes would hold! luckily they did and all i got was a little misting on the foot end of my hammock