PDA

View Full Version : Sams Club lightweight rainsuit (FroggTogg imitation)

hoz
04-04-2009, 15:08
I bought a set this morning. My Sam's Club had three colors available, green, blue and gray or silver. I've used a set of FroggToggs the past 3 years on canoe trips. And though I have had no blowouts (just piling) I felt it may be time to invest in a new suit. The brand name of the Sam's Club rainsuit is "Natural Gear". It is made of the same material as FT's and is labeled "made with partially recycled material".

First impressions are they are better made than FroggToggs. The material feels thicker, the zipper and snaps are beefier, the bottom legs has snaps that extend to near the knees instead of the small weak zipper that FT uses and you should be able to get the pants on over a pair of boots.

The cut is generous and is meant to fit over other clothing. The hood is bigger than the tiny FT and will provide much better protection. All seams are"welded".

They also come with their own stuff sack,while Froggs charges for theirs.

At $24.99 they are a bargain compared to the Frogg Togg alternative.

Dogwood
04-04-2009, 15:22
I saw Frogg Toggs being sold in Dicks Sporting Goods and the Dri Pore rainware being sold at some Sports Authority stores this speing.

Rain Man
04-05-2009, 13:36
At $24.99 they are a bargain compared to the Frogg Togg alternative.

Hoz, THANKS for the info! I think I may head over to Sam's this week.

Rain:sunMan

jcramin
04-05-2009, 16:06
I just bought me a set at Sam's today in Blue

JaxHiker
04-05-2009, 21:05
I hope they hold up ok. My buddy put his on when we hiked the Florida Trail in September. The first day we did 10 hours in a steady rain. His FTs ripped within 10 minutes of putting them on. Of course my Wal-Mart rain gear didn't do much better. No rips but it leaked like a sieve.

generoll
04-05-2009, 22:36
how can you tell if it's leaking? Florida in September sounds hot and humid. as in SWEAT!

JaxHiker
04-06-2009, 14:58
Actually it was very nice weather...other than the rain. :) The temps were mild and Sat and Sun were clear and cool. Sat night was actually cold.

I guess I figured it was rain and not sweat since I don't usually feel rivers running down my arms when I reach overhead. When I let me arms hang naturally rivers literally ran down my fingers which were like prunes.

What really sucked is that my socks wicked it all down into my waterproof boots. Hiking in wet boots wasn't any fun the next day. Fortunately we had a good fire Sat night and got everything dried out.

DAJA
04-06-2009, 15:17
Frogg Toggs make good fire starter!

Alligator
04-06-2009, 20:23
What's the breakdown on weights?