PDA

View Full Version : Head count?

Slo-go'en
04-04-2009, 15:43
Anyone know or can find out how many hikers have passed through Neel(s) gap so far? The April 1st starters should be hitting there about now.

Would be interesting to see how this year is shaping up and if predictions of larger than normal numbers is ture or not.

Ramble~On
04-04-2009, 15:50
Hi.

I'm hiking this year and from what I've seen compared to other years there are a lot fewer hikers this year! Caretaker on Springer when I started March 20 seemed to support this..there had been 300 or so start at that point. Could be the peak of "the wave" is behind me ?

Pedaling Fool
04-05-2009, 08:35
I don't know why, but I always like checking up on these numbers http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805579/k.DA92/2000Milers_Facts_and_Statistics.htm

shoe
04-05-2009, 21:51
I was at Mountain Crossings all weekend and they were at around 450 ish.
They said Saturday was a record day for them.

It seemed to me that there were alot more hikers there than actually signed the book.

Jack Tarlin
04-06-2009, 08:53
People I've talked to in Neel Gap, Hiawassee, and Franklin all seem to think numbers are the same as last year or even slightly higher. Whether this is attributed to lots of early starters or whether or not there really are more hikers out this year is not certain, but nobody I've talked to thinks numbers are down.