PDA

View Full Version : smokies

brack
06-02-2004, 09:41
ok i have a buncha buncha questions... pitch in on some or all please....

smokies in mid july anyone been through there on the trail this time of year? i just kind of want a guesstimate on what i am going to need to bring on clothes gear etc... didnt know if there would be any cold spurts or not...

also are the bugs bad on that section of the trail? or are the people visiting the park worse than the bugs? haha....

also i am looking to hike to the end of the smokies around davenport gap. is there anywhere here to park a car for a week? as in a safe place or a place you can pay to park? or has anyone had any experience hitching here? just wondering because the commute back home is always the worst part of the trip to figure out....

thanks for your input/help....

brack

Alligator
06-02-2004, 10:36
also i am looking to hike to the end of the smokies around davenport gap. is there anywhere here to park a car for a week? as in a safe place or a place you can pay to park? or has anyone had any experience hitching here? just wondering because the commute back home is always the worst part of the trip to figure out....

brack
When we hiked the Smokies, we left a car at Big Creek, there's a parking area near the campground. This is real close to Davenport Gap. I would consider this fairly secure, as I think there's a ranger residence close. There wasn't any parking at the trailhead that crosses the road to the Big Creek Campground. I would not leave a car there.

You did not indicate your starting location. Hitching around the park, say from where the AT enters the park near Fontana to the end at Davenport, might take all day. There is no direct road around. Check out the shuttle list if you will only have one car.

hungryhowie
06-02-2004, 10:47
I've hiked the Smokies section (and/or the areas right around the Smokies) several times in summer. It usually doesn't get very cold at night, even high up. The term 'usually', however, is not all inclusive. Even in mid-summer, I always carry full waterproof rainwear and enough clothing/sleeping bag to keep me warm to the freezing mark.

Outside of the Smokies (and still in the South, of course) your chances for hitting the freezing mark are even less, but the chance is still there. This amount of clothing/gear need not be too weighty. For your reference, here's what I carry:

worn: long-sleeve silkweight capilene T, swim trunks, smartwool socks, running shoes of choice

insulation: 100-weight (micro) fleece pullover (8oz) and pants (6oz), powerstretch balaclava (~1oz), powerstretch gloves (~1oz)

Rain: Red Ledge Thunderlight Anorak (8oz) and pants (6oz), OR rain mitts (~1oz).

The total weight of all of this is right about 2 pounds. If the weather gets bad, I have a tarp that I know will keep me dry and block out the wind, and a down quilt (17oz) that will keep me warm to about 35*F. One more step or layer is to eat a hot meal or brew a cup o tea to warm up the innards.

In July, expect the usual gamut of annoying flying insects. There won't be any black flies, but there will probably be a few mosquitos, a few flies, and a few more gnats. Also watch out for ticks...they're out there. I would have some kind of bug netting, if for no other reason than to let you sleep as much as you want. On my thruhike, I carried a 16oz bug bivy from Outdoor Research and was very happy with it. There were several times when other hikes didn't sleep very well because of the bugs (no-see-ums, mosquitos, gnats, etc) and I snoozed right through it. It was my own little haven. If you want to lighten this weight burden as much as possible, you could go with the A16 bug bivy, which is significantly lighter (though it doesn't have a floor and isn't full length...), or make your own bugnet (either a large stuff sac of sorts that fits down over the head of your sleeping bag and cinches closed with a drawcord/shockcord or a bug-net tent like the GoLite Nest).

As far as parking goes, you can probably park your car (for a fee) at Mountain Mama's which is about a 1-2 mile walk from Davenport Gap. There's also another hostel around there (haven't hiked this section since it opened up) called the Bear's Den (?). Many hikers seem to really like them, so give'em a call about this as well. Also, talking to the people at these hostels will be the best thing you can do with regards to a shuttle. I would imagine that they provide shuttle services (especially in the summer when thruhikers are gone but section hikers are there). I'm pretty sure that the Hike Inn near Fontana Village has a shuttle service that will drop you off at Davenport (or pick you up), so you may want to try them as well.

Good luck with your hike!

-Howie

smokymtnsteve
06-02-2004, 11:02
ok i have a buncha buncha questions... pitch in on some or all please....

smokies in mid july anyone been through there on the trail this time of year? i just kind of want a guesstimate on what i am going to need to bring on clothes gear etc... didnt know if there would be any cold spurts or not...

also are the bugs bad on that section of the trail? or are the people visiting the park worse than the bugs? haha....

brack

In His book STRANGERS IN HIGH PLACES , dr. Fromm answers your question in the first line of the book.

"IT WAS RAINING IN THE SMOKIES"

expect afternoon thundershowers and very warm temps...even into the 80's
however be prepared for temps in the mid 40's in the evening at highrer elevations...and be prepared for WET and HUMIDITY.

yes there will be some bugs...take some repellant.

yes there will be lots of folks
esp. around NewFound gap and charlies bunion, including the Ice Water Spring shelter. this is one of the most heavily used section of the AT

Clingmans Dome area including Mt Collins is a very heavily used shelter...you can get to MT Collins shelter in a Half mile walk from a road so It attracts folks who Really aren't hiking.

the Double Springs shelter is only about 2 miles from Clingman's dome parking lot so it sees a lot of visitors also.

the area around Spence and Russell Fields is heavily used from folks accessing the area from Cades Cove...also be aware that the Spring at Mollies Ridge Shelter is notorius for having slow flow and going dry late the season...shouldn't be a problem for you but check with Park first even though the Park Info isn't real good as they cater mainly to the Industrial car driving and motoring public not hikers.

as far as parking at Davenport gap ..DON"T...parking is available at the Big Creek ranger station...during this time of year there will be a campground host so your car should be fairly safe there...check in with the campground host they are better at keeping an eye on things than the Rangers.

as far as hitching backto fontana ...good luck and hitching would be very slow out of davenport/ big creek area.

ms thigpen at MTN Momas does shuttles along with

A walk the woods

http://www.awalkinthewoods.com/

A better and safer plan would be to leave your car at fontana...fontana has heavy security because of the dam and is very safe to leave a car.

Jeff and Nancy are at the HIKE INN

http://www.thehikeinn.netfirms.com

Ramble~On
06-03-2004, 03:08
Park for a week = Mountain Mama's
Weather = 100% unpredictable. be prepared for hot, sunny days. Cold nights. I'd estimate no cooler than 40's at elevation at night. Rain...Of course.
Insects..not bad up higher..mostly gnats and noseeum types lower.
People = Too Many...in June...mostly tourists...weekend warriors...maybe a Hardcore Southbounder.

Jaybird
06-03-2004, 08:22
ok i have a buncha buncha questions... pitch in on some or all please....smokies in mid july....thanks for your input/help....brack

brack

the Smokies in mid-summer: HOT (upper 80s-mid 90s) & HUMID (70-100% humidity)

you will find hordes of people & bugs (especially gnats & black flies)in the Smokies during the summer.

as far as parking a car....the park service tells me you can park a vehicle in the Clingmans Dome parking lot for up to 7 days. OR.....you could probably park your car @ Mountain Moma's.

Happy Hikin'!
:D

papa john
06-03-2004, 13:30
We are heading up there on Friday and plan to leave a car at Standing Bear Farm. $2 a day, but it is safe. Didn't know about the campground, we will be arriving and leaving after midnight so can't check in with anyone.

Also, SBF will shuttle you to Fontana Dam. They quoted my $1.25 a mile, might be more now due to the high cost of gas. Check around, you might think about leaving your car at the Hike Inn and have them drop you off at the dam and then come get you when you are finished. Last itme I used them for a shuttle it was $1 a mile. Again, this may have changed.

PJ

papa john
06-03-2004, 13:33
Can one of you locals tell me the best road route to take from Davenport Gap to Fontana? Should I go through the park or go around the eastern side?

John

smokymtnsteve
06-03-2004, 13:45
aorund the eastern side...there is no "good" way to fontana....

hungryhowie
06-03-2004, 14:08
Definately around the eastern side as you're actually on interstate part of the time. Travel through the park is slow with all of the small winding roads and rubbernecking tourists. Like SMS said, there is no "good" way to get there.

It's been about 6 years since I've made that exact trip (Big Creek ranger station to Fontana parking lot for this same section), but I think it takes at about 2-3 hours. That was a while ago though...

-Howie

smokymtnsteve
06-03-2004, 14:10
yep 2-3 hours..avoid gatlinburg at all cost esp this time of year.

papa john
06-03-2004, 16:25
We will be making this trip in the wee hours of the morning, between 1 and 2 am. Any difference?

John

smokymtnsteve
06-03-2004, 16:40
We will be making this trip in the wee hours of the morning, between 1 and 2 am. Any difference?

John

yes be even more careful..esp around maggies valley and on 74....the police in NC will not hesitate to pull you over.

Chip
06-03-2004, 18:44
Okay Papa John,

I recommend from Davenport get on I-40 and drive to Asheville, go west on I-240, back to I-40 west.
Next take the 19 / 23 Hwy, (after you pass Canton NC )toward Waynesville and Sylva. On the west side of Sylva take 74 toward Bryson City. West of Bryson City look for Hwy 28.
28 will take you straight up to Fontana Dam. There
has been road construction on this section. Was last
there back in August. As mentioned before there is no easy way to get around from Davenport to Fontana but this is the safe way to go. Plan on 3 hours. 30 to 40 min. to get to Asheville another 2 1/2 to Fontana. Have a great time !!!! Be safe!!! ;)
Happy Trails,
Chip

papa john
06-03-2004, 19:08
drive to Asheville, go west on I-240, back to I-40 west

You lost me here! Why go to Asheville? Looks like I would get to 19/23 long before then. Also, what about taking 276 between I40 and 19/23?

Steve, I remember seeing quite a few cops through that construction in there before the turn off to Fontana. Don't need any speeding tickets!

Thanks all,

John

smokymtnsteve
06-03-2004, 20:53
yes take 276 and cut the corner at maggies..asheville is outa of the way

Groucho
06-03-2004, 21:11
I take I-40 E all the way to 23/74 (towards sylva), and keep on 74 all the way to the highway 28 cutoff to Fontana (a few miles after it, 28, comes in from Franklin). There always seem to be patrolpersons when I go through, so don't speed too much. This is all multi-lane all the way to 28.

steve hiker
06-03-2004, 21:32
There always seem to be patrolpersons when I go through, so don't speed too much.
Patrolpersons? Is that anything like unisex bathrooms?

smokymtnsteve
06-03-2004, 21:34
as far as I know all the privys on the AT are unisex

Groucho
06-03-2004, 21:51
as far as I know all the privys on the AT are unisex
Maybe privies, but Dahlgren has separate bathrooms.

steve hiker
06-03-2004, 22:23
There always seem to be patrolpersons when I go
Patrolpersons -- is that anything like being born without a noodle?

Groucho
06-03-2004, 22:29
Patrolpersons -- is that anything like being born without a noodle?
Actually it might be like gun named Amy.

Chip
06-03-2004, 22:40
19/23 will work too ! As far as NC Troopers on patrol ? have not seen one on Hwy 28 but there is always a first time. Just don't speed. :confused:

steve hiker
06-03-2004, 22:44
Actually it might be like gun named Amy.
Not that type of gun.

Chip
06-04-2004, 07:39
Papa John,

Wow!! Sorry! I had Garenflo Gap/Hot Springs on my mind lately. Been up there alot this spring. Anyhow get on 19/23 from I-40 on the west side of Canton. Look for the signs for Sylva and Bryson City. Don't drive to Asheville you will just have to make a BIG "U" TURN. Once again sorry about that. :o

sherrill
06-04-2004, 10:25
and probably most of you already know this link, but for those who dont:

http://www2.nature.nps.gov/air/webcams/parks/grsmcam/grsmcam.htm

It's like having a view of the Smokies from my office.

papa john
06-04-2004, 15:16
Yep, wish they had more of those. First time I found that link it was at night and it took me a minute to figure out why the picture was all black! :confused: