PDA

View Full Version : Serious vandalism near the AT

MintakaCat
04-04-2009, 20:17
A communications tower on Wine Spring Bald was vandalized on Friday April 3rd around 5PM. The initial investigation shows that someone may have used a vehicle to pull it down. The AT goes within feet of this site as it is only 1.25 miles southwest of Wayah Bald.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3639/3413193094_1b16f6245e.jpg?v=0

If anyone was at or near Wine Spring Bald on Friday April 3rd around 5PM and saw anything suspicious, please report this to the Macon County Sheriff’s Office at (828) 349-2600.

Since there are so many hikers on the AT this time of year, maybe someone might have noticed something. Thanks in advance.

Gaiter
04-04-2009, 23:32
wow, a vehicle to pull it down???, someone must have been bored or pissed at their cell phone provider

Wise Old Owl
04-04-2009, 23:38
Time to consider some High Def/Night Vision digital cameras and a DVR pointed at the entrance, I would recommend a well established security installation company. Not because this will ever happen again, because that is NOT the worst I have seen on a communication site. Unfortunate, and a sad reality of the people that are out there now.

maxpatch67
04-05-2009, 02:27
Man, now my cell phone won't work out on the trail.....yeah!!!

vamelungeon
04-05-2009, 05:27
That might not be for cell phones, it could be a tower for emergency services, business or an amateur radio repeater.
I never really understood random vandalism. Doesn't make sense to me at all.

MintakaCat
04-05-2009, 07:09
That might not be for cell phones, it could be a tower for emergency services, business or an amateur radio repeater.
I never really understood random vandalism. Doesn't make sense to me at all.

For the record, it was a tower for Macon County emergency services.

nitewalker
04-05-2009, 07:40
maybe the dirt bags are thinking of cuting it up and selling it for scrap money. lots of bozo's out there these days. they really had some balls to tear that thing down, its got to be some locals pi""ed off at the world..

Jeff
04-05-2009, 08:00
Prices for scrap have really tumbled downward this year.

nitewalker
04-05-2009, 09:12
yea' thats for sure. last year during the summer the prices were sky high for some time. i remember hearing about alluminum light posts being stolen rite off of some highways. now that takes big stones!!!

mateozzz
04-05-2009, 13:56
Looks to me like a bear pulled it down to get at the food bags hung from the tower.

Gaiter
04-05-2009, 15:30
Looks to me like a bear pulled it down to get at the food bags hung from the tower.

or maybe the bear burritos, i mean hammockers sleeping in the tower

Ramble~On
04-05-2009, 15:49
Wow. I hiked Wayah to NOC that day. I slackpacked and the drive up the mountain was through some of the thickest fog I've ever seen and there were a lot of trees and limbs down all over the road. I wonder how certain they are that someone did this rather than it being blown over or falling over from something else ? It doesn't make much sense to pull a tower over just for the hell of it. :-? Or...did an employee of the company involved with that tower recently get pissed off by them and do it cause he's a jerk?

Rain Man
04-06-2009, 09:08
... some of the thickest fog I've ever seen ....

Must've been a low-flying "vehicle"! :D

Rain:sunMan