PDA

View Full Version : CNN says 4-8 in snow april 6

gollwoods
04-04-2009, 23:59
western N C high elevations for Monday

maxpatch67
04-05-2009, 02:16
You gotta love it! I bet there'll will even be more. A bunch of cold is com'n down.

fiddlehead
04-05-2009, 04:16
If they are anything like the Weather Channel, you'll get about half of that.
I used to bet my roomate on so many of the snowstorms that the Weather Channel predicted. He'd be going out and stocking up on bread and milk and doing everything TWC told him to do.
I'd say, I'll bet you a dollar that we don't get more than 2" ! He'd say, you're on!
I can remember at least $5 that i won this way.

They like to scare people.

fehchet
04-05-2009, 05:30
The good part is that it is Spring and in a few days the snow will be gone.
It will be quite nice hiking in the slow covered world for a day or two this time of year.

Kirby
04-05-2009, 07:53
If hikers can't handle a few inches of snow, they should go home.

Hikes in Rain
04-05-2009, 09:05
Cool! Should help recharge the springs and streams.

Egads
04-05-2009, 09:30
NOAA shows <1" in the forecast

Cookerhiker
04-05-2009, 09:45
If hikers can't handle a few inches of snow, they should go home.

You're absolutely right Kirby. What does one expect hiking in the high elevations in early Spring?

Not just for the world of hikers but for the general population: what's wrong with snow? It's a natural phenomena that humankind has lived with for thousands of years. As Fiddlehead said, the media are hysterical with respect to snow, treating it like the plague or a hydrogen bomb. Where I used to live in the DC area, the local news folks were truly alarmist in their snow predictions, always premising their commentary with the assumption that everyone felt that same panicky way about snow. It seems like schools close at the drop of a hat because of this wimpiness.

Let it snow!

Skyline
04-05-2009, 10:38
You're absolutely right Kirby. What does one expect hiking in the high elevations in early Spring?

Not just for the world of hikers but for the general population: what's wrong with snow? It's a natural phenomena that humankind has lived with for thousands of years. As Fiddlehead said, the media are hysterical with respect to snow, treating it like the plague or a hydrogen bomb. Where I used to live in the DC area, the local news folks were truly alarmist in their snow predictions, always premising their commentary with the assumption that everyone felt that same panicky way about snow. It seems like schools close at the drop of a hat because of this wimpiness.

Let it snow!

Exactly. Upon his arrival at 1600 Pennsy, Pres. Obama chastised DCers for their wimpy attitude about snow when his daughter's school closed because of a couple inches. Tongue partially in-cheek of course. After all, he lived in Chicagoland previously.

I love the DC media with its "StormCenters" and the like predicting the end of the world. Out here in the Shenandoah Valley we tend to take it all in stride. Well, not all of us...we have a bunch of DC transplants here now. :eek:

Cookerhiker
04-05-2009, 11:39
......I love the DC media with its "StormCenters" and the like predicting the end of the world. Out here in the Shenandoah Valley we tend to take it all in stride. Well, not all of us...we have a bunch of DC transplants here now. :eek:

Out here in Frostburg, we also take it in stride; with an annual average of 100" per Wikipedia, snow is a way of life. And this is one tranplanted DCer who deosn't mind it one bit! In fact, I'm bummed that the 3 winters I've lived here have seen less than that 100" average.

rcli4
04-05-2009, 12:39
The TV stations need folks to watch. If they act like a crisis is eminent you are more likely to watch. rateings is what it is about.

Clyde

Lone Wolf
04-05-2009, 12:44
western N C high elevations for Monday

4-8 inches. that's all? it ain't no biggie. had 2 feet on april 4th of 87 at standining indian shelter. temps. in the teens. it's still winter in the mountains. global warming is a major joke :D

rickb
04-05-2009, 12:48
Seems like its warmed up a good deal since April 4th, 1987.

Just another example of global warming.

:rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
04-05-2009, 12:51
Seems like its warmed up a good deal since April 4th, 1987.

Just another example of global warming.

:rolleyes:

pretty unlikely :rolleyes:

WILLIAM HAYES
04-05-2009, 13:04
snow is not that big of a deal did the smokies several years ago and there was two feet or better -- up to your waist if you got slightly off the ridge line in some places you just need the be prepared and understand it will take longer to do the miles

Hillbilly

Pedaling Fool
04-05-2009, 13:10
No more worries about 1-2 feet of snow in spring, thanks to global warming:sun Our next worry is all the mercury in the ground from all those anti-global warming light bulbs.

Kirby
04-05-2009, 15:18
You can't expect to traverse 70 miles above 4,000 feet and not see some snow. A few inches is nothing, and since its thru-hiker season, the trail will be packed down.

I get annoyed when hikers complain about the cold.

Were they expecting it to be 70 degrees and sunny every day from Georgia to Maine?

Kirby
04-05-2009, 15:19
I'm going to school in DC in the fall, I'm looking forward to their "snow storms" of two inches.

In Maine, two inches is a near miss. Two feet is a storm.

snowhoe
04-05-2009, 20:26
Fox news says its going to snow here 2".

Blissful
04-05-2009, 20:59
We had that in '07 in NC. No big deal. And melts fast. It's just your feet feel like crap. :)

Kirby
04-05-2009, 22:02
There's nothing like frozen trail runners to start the day.

Scaper
04-05-2009, 22:34
Lone Wolf , That storm in 1987 was a big one. Hikers in the smokies were held up at shelters for days with over 3 feet of snow with drifts over 5 feet. On may 7 1992 over 3 feet of snow fell again in the smokies. I can remember the stories the thru hikers that year told me when I met them on the trail when they came thru the linden area.

uprocks
04-05-2009, 23:35
If they are anything like the Weather Channel, you'll get about half of that.
I used to bet my roomate on so many of the snowstorms that the Weather Channel predicted.
No doubt. I'm pretty much a fair-weather m/c commuter and long ago stopped cancelling those commutes based on weather channel rain predictions.

fiddlehead
04-05-2009, 23:51
No doubt. I'm pretty much a fair-weather m/c commuter and long ago stopped cancelling those commutes based on weather channel rain predictions.

Yes, they've lost all credibility with me.

I often wondered: "Why doesn't the weathermen on TV ever apologize when they are wrong?"

Do people still tune it to that station? (weather channel)

RWK
04-06-2009, 08:46
You can't expect to traverse 70 miles above 4,000 feet and not see some snow. A few inches is nothing, and since its thru-hiker season, the trail will be packed down.

I get annoyed when hikers complain about the cold.

Were they expecting it to be 70 degrees and sunny every day from Georgia to Maine?

Oh no, you mean it's not going to be like that all the way?

Tipi Walter
04-06-2009, 09:54
The good part is that it is Spring and in a few days the snow will be gone.
It will be quite nice hiking in the slow covered world for a day or two this time of year.

Gotta love the snow. What's the point of backpacking if there's no snow? I remember I did a trip at 5000 feet sout of the Smokies and got snow on April 30th.

4-8 inches. that's all? it ain't no biggie. had 2 feet on april 4th of 87 at standining indian shelter. temps. in the teens. it's still winter in the mountains. global warming is a major joke :D

Lone Wolf , That storm in 1987 was a big one. Hikers in the smokies were held up at shelters for days with over 3 feet of snow with drifts over 5 feet. On may 7 1992 over 3 feet of snow fell again in the smokies. I can remember the stories the thru hikers that year told me when I met them on the trail when they came thru the linden area.

I remember the snowstorm of April '87. I was preparing to move up into my tipi and I cut a one mile trail with switchbacks and a climb of about 800 feet. I was in Boone NC and the snow piled up all over town and delayed my tipi move-in. The Blizzard of '93 might of been worse. Of course it was worse as it shut down the entire eastern US.

Dholmblad
04-06-2009, 15:31
when i was on the trail on april 20th in 2007 right outside of hiawasee we got freezing rain and it dropped to under 15. I thought i was going to die that night...

vamelungeon
04-06-2009, 15:46
Well, I feel sorry for anyone who's on the trail right now in SW VA and wasn't prepared for foul weather. Last night the wind howled and the rain came down in buckets. I visited my mother today and she said she thought for a while that there was a tornado. It hailed too.
Then today the temps dropped steadily all day long. Right now it's snowing. I'm not worried so much about the amount of snow as I am about people getting soaked last night, then frozen today, and that's not counting the widowmakers brought down by the wind.
Oh, and there was thunder and lightning last night too. Almost forgot.