PDA

View Full Version : Tree Straps for hanging?

Il Duce
04-05-2009, 10:36
I didn't want to go ahead and buy the tree straps that came with the hammock and it looked like something I could jerry-rig myself.

Last night we went on a short hike round where I live and brought our whole set up. I have the webbing from the heavy duty ratcheting straps they sell at Home Depot, Lowes, etc... I they are about an inch wide. I also have welded rings that are a 1/4" thick and 1 1/4" diameter. I was trying to rig the ring cinch setup...but the straps kept pulling through.

Questions.

1. Why can't I just wrap the strap around the tree and tie off the end of the webbing to my carabeiner on the hammock? It's what we did last night and it worked for one night at least.

2. Do I just need bigger rings to hold those straps? It looked like the webbing wouldn't stay flat between the rings and kept bunching up.

3. Should the rings be different sizes?

Pre-Thanks for the advice!

Il Duce
04-05-2009, 20:18
Anyone? Please, It would be greatly appreciated,

Thank You

JaxHiker
04-05-2009, 21:02
Not sure I follow what you did in #1.

I'm just now starting the transition to the ring buckles but those should be fine. My SMC rings are about the same size. My only concern is using welded rings. Are they the ones from HD? I wasn't brave enough to try those.

I don't have my webbing yet (that should be here tomorrow) but in the tests I've done with a short piece of webbing there hasn't been any slippage. I should be able to fire up the sewing machine tomorrow and see how my stuff holds up.

Maybe we can talk about this per my IM. And this answers one of my questions. :)

Egads
04-05-2009, 22:05
I use the stock Hennessey tree huggers. No problems

attroll
04-05-2009, 22:53
If you are looking for more feedback from other hammock campers then you might want to post this same question on www.hammockforums.net (http://www.hammockforums.net).

JaxHiker
04-07-2009, 23:06
I was in a rush so this is the best pic I got but here's a closeup of my setup.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/fotomonkey/hiking/gear/shelter/IMG_1464_640.jpg

The two elastic lines are for my Supershelter and its underpad.

amac
04-07-2009, 23:58
1. Why can't I just wrap the strap around the tree and tie off the end of the webbing to my carabeiner on the hammock? It's what we did last night and it worked for one night at least.

2. Do I just need bigger rings to hold those straps? It looked like the webbing wouldn't stay flat between the rings and kept bunching up.

3. Should the rings be different sizes?

1. You can do whatever you like. Some knots are difficult to untie.
2. Those rings in your pic look plenty big enough. You need to tie a half-hitch with the running end to prevent slippage.
3. No, the rings should both be the same size as each other.

Although I'm certain there are plenty of other options, most folks on hammockforums that use rings prefer the SMC rings. Here's a good thread: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=565

BTW, I agree with attroll about hammockforums.net, lot's of good advice.

Red Hat
04-08-2009, 11:53
I use a caribiner to connect the loop end of my strap around the tree, then use the rings like you have them. I do tie a halfhitch to make sure there is no slippage. I leave my hammock cord tied to the rings instead of using the figure 9 you have. I'd use a small biner to attach the UQ (JRBs come with tiny little biners). Go over to hammockforums.net and you'll get all kinds of info (probably more than you want) since there are a bunch of engineers over there that will figure out the mathematics of hanging. Fun site though....

JaxHiker
04-08-2009, 13:09
I have the micro biners that came with my WeatherShield. I just grabbed these biners because my bag with all this stuff was easily available. I also have smaller S biners but those were packed with the WS also.

Doctari
04-08-2009, 20:13
At Mt Rogers early this year we had 30 - 40 set ups, not one was exactly like any of the others, so do what works. Some of the strap arrangements were similar. Your's sounds workable, go with it.

dallas
04-08-2009, 21:24
Like the others have said, your setup will work fine as it is, just tie a knot in the webbing after you have tightened it up. I find a simple 'shoelace' type knot easy to tie and untie and it will keep the webbing from slipping.

Il Duce
04-08-2009, 23:39
I have the micro biners that came with my WeatherShield. I just grabbed these biners because my bag with all this stuff was easily available. I also have smaller S biners but those were packed with the WS also.

FYI...JaxHiker is the man

eightknots
04-19-2009, 14:07
I need a better VIEW of these Rings and best Strap method to Hang. I had ENO Strap Loops give up the ghost and dump me last night .. no injury just, well you cant get it.. And it was cold in the Pa Mountains.
ek

Cannibal
04-23-2009, 12:31
I need a better VIEW of these Rings and best Strap method to Hang. I had ENO Strap Loops give up the ghost and dump me last night .. no injury just, well you cant get it.. And it was cold in the Pa Mountains.
ek
You asked for it. Not exactly lite reading, but the goods are all here (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=565&highlight=ring).

east_stingray
05-03-2009, 01:33
Il Duce, the advice to check out hammockforums.net is well founded. I found lots of helpful people over there (although a lot of them are over here too).

JaxHiker
05-03-2009, 20:30
Il should be on the trail now. Hopefully he'll be able to check in soon and give us an update.

Rain Man
05-03-2009, 22:26
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the set-up, but doesn't Nite-Ize say it's "biners" are not to support human weight?

I was in a rush so this is the best pic I got but here's a closeup of my setup.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/fotomonkey/hiking/gear/shelter/IMG_1464_640.jpg

The two elastic lines are for my Supershelter and its underpad.

JaxHiker
05-04-2009, 13:22
You misunderstand. Read the part under the picture. The ring buckles are supporting me. The Figure 9 biner is only supporting my undercover and pad.

mr. dribbles
05-04-2009, 13:33
The forces on the webbing and biners can be extraordinary, especially with a ridgeline, as demonstrated by Youngblood and others on hammockforums.net. I wouldn't use anything less than a climbing rated biner. Consider backing up the rings with slippery half hitch, as per Red Hat.

I use a HH with SMC rings, Doval biners, and straps from Harborfreight tools. I kept the original HH spectra cord in case I need to lengthen the setup, etc.

Wags
05-04-2009, 16:57
i'd be hesitant to use those welded rings, honestly. the SMC ones are made from a single piece of aluminum and rated to hold people. other than that my set up looks pretty similar

my set up from hammock to tree

claytor expedition> spectra cord (1100 lb test) tied permanently to > ring buckles > 12' harbor freight ratchet strap (1" wide, 1500 lb test, $4)> cut off the hook w/ dremel too and clipped UL carabiner (25kN rating) in the sewn loop