PDA

View Full Version : Dual Sleeping Bags

Chaco Taco
04-05-2009, 10:54
Wak and I are trying to make it so we can zip our bags together. Do we just buy right zip and left zip bags and connect them or do companies make bags specifically for zip together or is it just universal?

Spirit Walker
04-05-2009, 12:12
Generally the bags don't have to be from the same company, just right and left. I think it helps if the bags are the same length -- e.g. I don't know what would happen if you tried to zip a long with a regular. Just be aware that some ultralight bags don't zip all the way down.

I like sleeping with bags zipped together. Aside from the cuddling and warmth issues, there is a lot more upper body room - I don't get the usual mummy bag claustrophobia. It works best though if neither of you is a restless sleeper.

vamelungeon
04-05-2009, 12:46
My wife and I just use quilts. Works for us, YMMV.

Boudin
04-05-2009, 13:39
Two mummy bags zipped together may not well for honeymoon activities. It is quite a tight space. Although they are heavier, you may want to look at rectangle bags or down quilts. Another problem with 2 bags zipped together is in the middle of the night, someone always ends up sleeping on the zipper.

vamelungeon
04-05-2009, 13:39
Two mummy bags zipped together may not well for honeymoon activities. It is quite a tight space. Although they are heavier, you may want to look at rectangle bags or down quilts. Another problem with 2 bags zipped together is in the middle of the night, someone always ends up sleeping on the zipper.
Yep. What he said.

Feral Bill
04-05-2009, 14:10
It's easiest to buy matching bags (same make and model) with left and right zippers. In a store, you can check for matching zippers. Not all brands are the same.

Powder River
04-05-2009, 20:29
Man, and I thought those noises were bears getting into my food...

Egads
04-05-2009, 20:47

Another problem, someone always needs to water the flora.

Mountain Maiden
04-05-2009, 20:57
Wak and I are trying to make it so we can zip our bags together. Do we just buy right zip and left zip bags and connect them or do companies make bags specifically for zip together or is it just universal?

SHEESH! Next thing ya' know, these two will want to get married!:D

Seriously, Feathered Friends used to make a super system that held two thermarests (or similar) in the bottom half that simply zipped to a single, opened, rectangle bag. Plenty of room and comfortable, too. Saves dollars, weight, space, etc. Another added benefit, it keeps sleeping pads from slipping around, too

S:sun

BipolarStroller
04-05-2009, 21:18

Our mountain Hardware bags zip together, and yes one Left ther one Right. Had some issues with the cord on my side(operator error) that kept us from completely sealing them off.
Good idea, especially during freezing weather, I think it was the only thing that kept us alive one night, and yeah it was only one night that our "lives" saftey was in question, and if you have that choice during that night. And Wak is such a tiny but spunky gal, you should be keeping her warm, just make sure her snuggle partner isn't too funky. (just looking out for ya,Wak, lol)

kolokolo
04-05-2009, 21:25
My wife and I had identical rectangular sleeping bags, and we never had any trouble zipping them together. There was no 'right' or 'left' zipper involved. I think if you take a 'right' zipper bag and flip it over (sidways), it's a 'left'.

shelterbuilder
04-05-2009, 21:47
It's not a universal thing - the zippers must have the same tooth count per inch, the zipper length should be the same, and the zipper style must be the same (a coil zipper and a toothed zipper won't work). Many companies make bags that mate; mating bags from two different companies can be trickier!

Jim Adams
04-06-2009, 00:03
yes it is a little heavy but we're talking comfort here....
a. get 2 thermorest pads 2" thick.
b. get 2 down 0* rectangular bags, don't need to zip together. 1 under, 1 over as a quilt.
c. get the kit from campmor that connects the2 thermorests together.
d. get a tent that is tall enough so that your head doesn't hit the top while upright on your knees.
..........don't ask!

geek