PDA

View Full Version : River fording

mindi
04-05-2009, 11:00
Yeah, it's me again. Can you tell I'm a bundle of nerves?

I have a question about fording. I've been reading in some journals that they had to do crossings in water that was crotch-deep, or worse. I'm only five feet tall..am I going to be trying to wade across chest-deep water? :eek:

What will I do with my pack if the water is too deep not to be submerged when I try to cross?

:) Sugargrits

Slo-go'en
04-05-2009, 11:22
Last year was unusually wet with a deep snow pack which lasted very late into the season, so the rivers were unusually high.

We haven't had much late season snow this year and what we did get this winter is quickly going away. Last year at this time there was still a ton of snow on the ground even here in town, this year it is long gone. Unless it rains a lot in late May or early June, the stream crossings shouldn't be too bad this year.

However, make sure you have your pack lined with a trash compactor bag or similer and tie up the opening the best you can before crossing the stream. Make sure stuff you really need to keep dry like any electronics is sealed in a zip lock bag. Keep your waist belt unfastened in case you fall and have to ditch the pack quickly. Extend your hiking poles some to give them more reach. Keep your boots on, but take your socks off first. The rocks in the streams are really slippery so going bare footed isn't a good idea. I found that out once and broke a toe because of it. Hope for the best!

Many Walks
04-05-2009, 11:26
Don't drive yourself crazy worrying about it till you get there. You might get lucky enough that the water recedes by that time and you can just rock hop. If it is deep, unstrap and loosen your pack so you can dump it in case you go under so it won't drag you down. Love them or not, this is where hiking poles really come in handy to help keep your balance and brace against the current. Choose your route across and footing carefully. Hope you get lucky and it's not too deep for you. Enjoy your hike!

attroll
04-05-2009, 12:08
By the time you get to up east the snow runoff will be all gone. It will all depend on heavy rains by that time. I think you are over worrying right now. I understand your concern but I am sure someone will be in you hiking group that will help you out. You will know ahead of time when the crossings are coming up letting other thru hikers know your concerns they will most likely stay close by that day.

mindi
04-05-2009, 12:27
Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Getting a few months out, I just start worrying over every little thing..once I get out there I'm sure I'll be fine.

:D Sugargrits

warraghiyagey
04-05-2009, 12:58
The fords are a little over publicized as far as difficulty crossing. While there is one - the East Branch (a few hundred yards before East Branch Lean To), is really the only one in Maine that can give you a bit of a fit, but it's fine if you just take your time and careful steps. Last year there was a rope across as well to hold onto.
All the other ones are quite easy, you just gotta get your feet wet.:sun
I always cross barefoot.:)

attroll
04-05-2009, 13:23
Mindi, are you Nobo or Sobo?

warraghiyagey
04-05-2009, 13:32
It's the SOBO forum. . . ;)

attroll
04-05-2009, 14:40
Darn, my bust. In June the crossings will be higher then normal but right now it is hard to say about the snow melt. There is still quite a bit of snow in the mountains.

phillycheze
04-08-2009, 17:08
swimming is fun, and if u can ferry swim, u can keep ur back and head pretty much out of the water...
or just walk, facing upstream and check ur footing before u plant each foot. foot entrapment is no joke. using a stick, hiking buddy, or trekking pole helps with balance.

GotDuhka
04-14-2009, 08:23
when are you heading out from katahdin

YoungMoose
04-14-2009, 20:00
the first time i crossed a chest waist river i was a good type of nervouse. if your pack gets wet just make sure everything inside is goign to stay dry. When i did it we had a garbage bag with all of our stuff inside holding it. then we tied the garbage bag so it was water proof.

Erin
04-14-2009, 21:27
I was very nervous when I frist crossed a over waist deep river in Arkansas. I am five feet tall and did what you did...asked people. All my buddies were way tall and not worrried but I did the math and knew I was going deep. I had just been out west and read where a woman drowned because her pack took her down in Olyimpa National park and she was all strapped up. As everyone said above, undo your chest and belly bands in case you lose your balance. Waterproof all and go slow. All went well and once you do it, it is fun.

Pokey2006
04-14-2009, 22:13
The first couple of crossing you do will be nerve-wracking. Then you'll learn that most crossings look worse than they really are. Then, you'll realize that crossings are actually FUN.

My advice: don't take off your shoes. Just wear them right into the water. It's a lot less slippery than going barefoot or trying to wear something like Crocs. Hopefully, you're already planning to wear shoes that dry out quickly (like trail runners), and not heavy leather boots.

TJ aka Teej
04-15-2009, 01:24
Hints on fording deep/fast water:
Have a partner when possible
At least one hiking pole or stick.
Undo the sternum strap and hip belt so if you go under the pack doesn't drown you. *This is rather old-timey advice from back when packs were larger and heavier, and I don't do this anymore.
You should already have a garbagebag liner inside your pack.
Shoes on, socks off, tied tight.
Consider going in packless and exploring/playing first to find the best route.
Bridges are placed where the crossing is narrow, if the bridge is out ford at a wider spot because the current will be less.
If there's a free canoe ferry service, take it.

fiddlehead
04-15-2009, 05:05
Learn the 3 or 4 point stance and move only one point at a time. (facing upstream):

A couple of walking sticks or a long pole can be used on the upstream side to create a stable, three- or four-point stance when crossing. Equally weight both feet and the supports, moving only one contact point at a time for maximum stability.

stranger
04-25-2009, 01:07
Don't stress about river fording but also it's important to give it the respect it deserves. River fording, although uncommon along the AT, is pretty normal in the rest of the world. Some points I've found useful and true to my experience are:

- Never ford a river if it's obviously discolored
- Never ford a river if you can hear stones moving under the water
- Look for a natural riverbank on either side, if you see just water than scrub the river is probably up
- Ford rivers going with the current on an angle, this way you only need to take baby steps and the current will help move your legs
- As mentioned, only use your shoulder straps so you can ditch your pack if you get swept under
- A pack liner is very helpful if you are worried about your contents getting wet
- Trekking poles or a hiking staff help quite a bit, don't use the webbing loops
- Do not take off your hiking shoes, as mentioned earlier
- Just because it's not raining by you doesn't mean it hasn't rained all night 30 miles away raising water levels

When it doubt, camp for the night

take-a-knee
04-25-2009, 11:19
Good advice above, look for the widest section of the river to cross, it is usually a lot shallower there. If you have your pack waterproofed (compactor bag goosenecked with a rubber band on it) it'll float like a cork, if you go down hang on to it like a life preserver. If you have your hiking pole straps on your wrists ski pole style, you won't lose them.

SawnieRobertson
04-26-2009, 08:42
The one bit of advice that I don't think has been mentioned is to ford as early in the day as you can. Rivers rise during the day as snow above melts.

I'm also only 5' tall and understand your concerns.--Kinnickinic