PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Watch

Catharsis
04-05-2009, 15:33
Im getting ready for my 2009 SOBO thru-hike and Im trying to find a watch to tell me speed and distance on the cheap.

I've looked at all the multifunction watches and they are all super expensive, and have tons of useless features.

Any recommendations for a cheap, yet good quality watch?

Thanks.

vamelungeon
04-05-2009, 16:22
A GPS will do that (and has the correct time), I've never seen a watch with speed/distance functions. I'd like to see one too if there is one.

garlic08
04-05-2009, 20:40
The AT is so well marked and mapped and every guidebook will tell you where you are to the 0.1 mile, so all you need is time and you can calculate your speed with simple math. I use a $8 drugstore digital watch with a timer and alarm for navigating, cooking, and waking up. Carry a pen to make notes. You really don't need a fancy instrument for the AT.

Mountain Maiden
04-05-2009, 21:00
Im getting ready for my 2009 SOBO thru-hike and Im trying to find a watch to tell me speed and distance on the cheap.

I've looked at all the multifunction watches and they are all super expensive, and have tons of useless features.

Any recommendations for a cheap, yet good quality watch?

Thanks.

LOl--In contrast, I threw my watch away when I thru'd and haven't worn one since!

S:sun

Catharsis
04-05-2009, 21:55
Im kinda in the middle of both sides.

I dont want a GPS and im not carrying maps, just the guidebook, but i do enjoy having a watch and would like to be able to know where i am for the day and how fast im going to know if i need to pick up the pace.

Also, im a self professed, obsessed gearhead so im crazy for gadgets and gear

Reid
04-05-2009, 21:59
I bought a nice sports watch at a pawn shop for 10 dollars. I think it was a heart rate watch but it has the alarm clock and barometer on it. Good deal.

Old Grouse
04-05-2009, 22:04
Simple Timex Expedition analog watch with Indiglo. It's highly accurate and only about $30, last time I checked.

vamelungeon
04-05-2009, 22:11
I wear a Casio Wave Ceptor. It has a receiver that gets the signal from US Bureau of Standards and automatically sets the time. Got it for $20 on sale at Wally World.

sticks&stones
04-05-2009, 22:31
data book, and a pencil

flemdawg1
04-06-2009, 12:45
I use a Garmin Forerunner watch for running. It does the things you asked for (distance, pace/speed). Unfortunatly, the battery life on it isn't good for hiking (<15 hours).

Morpheus
04-06-2009, 20:01
The Forerunner series are awesome for massive, yet passive, data accumulation. I own the 205 series. The 305 includes heart rate, but you would get tired of the chest band quickly. The watch has GPS which maps your course so later you can overlay it on a PC using Google Earth. The other data trending can be viewed simultaneously so you can compare elevation variations (side view) against mph. Battery only good for several days, but because it's rechargeable, you can use a solar recharger such as Solio or Powermonkey. Both are USB compatible. Altimeter data only available on PC reviews. The 205 is selling many places for < $150. The Solio is $99. Powermonkey $120.
The Casio Pathfinder (PAW100T-7V) is a large, but very light weight titanium watch including Solar powered battery (6 month without exposure), daily satellite time update, compass, barometer, thermometer, and altimeter. The Altimeter requires daily resets, but the trending graph makes going up mountains more bearable, knowing how much climb is left. $219 from princetonwatches.com. I get a lot of compliments on this one.

Ox97GaMe
04-07-2009, 11:42
The thing with the AT is that your 'pace' will change throughout the day. There is very little flat terrain on the AT, which means you are either going uphill or downhill most of the time. Even when the trail looks flat, you will find yourself gaining or losing elevation. It might only be 20 or 30 ft every 100 yards, but it will eventually add up. The best you can do is identify your average speed at various points of the day and establish a pattern. You arent likely to be hiking the same pace in the morning and evening. After a few days on the trail, you are likely to be able to calculate daily distance to within an hour of actual hiking time. As long as you dont try to hike long miles to arrive at your destination 30 min before dark, you should be fine. Plan for some additional time, just in case that last mile into camp includes a steep uphill or downhill (they usually do)

As for watches that have useful functions that are relatively cheap, I have a Pathfinder. It is good for the hiking I have done out west, but not necessary for most east coast hiking. I do occassionally look at the altimeter to get a guage of how much further to the top of a specific climb, or to compare the last hour's actual hiking contour to the profile map (just for grins)

Doc
04-07-2009, 12:32
While I seldom wear a watch now that I'm retired, I feel like a watch is very important for me when hiking. I know what my pace is per hour and subtract some with uphill stuff and add some on smooth level trails. By checking my watch I can estimate how far I have gone. I want to know so I can be somewhat aware of where I am. If I know that a road is 4 miles from my starting point, after 2 hours I must be awful close or I took a wrong turn somewhere. For this stuff a cheap, throw away watch works fine. If it stops working the next town will have another.

jlore
04-07-2009, 12:58
Nike makes a sportband that uses the nike + system. i had one for running, and i loved it. it broke, and they took the sportband off the market, but they are coming out with a new and improved sportband this summer. it really is cool. it will tell you speed, distance cal burned, and pace. it will even tell you the time. it cost about 60 bucks, but you'll have to hollow out a spot in your boot to put the nike plus chip.

Cannibal
04-07-2009, 13:36
Casio GShock; same thing I wear around town on the weekends. Wore it cause it was tough, not because it had any particular feature. I just needed to know what time it was, the rest is just 'stuff'.

Turtlehiker
04-07-2009, 14:07
I really like my Suunto Vector, it doesn't do speed or distance but it does altitude, I like that feature, it makes it easy to find out where I am in relation to the top of the mountain. Very motivating and un-motivating at the same time!

BobTheBuilder
04-07-2009, 14:50
I use a cheap digital watch. I find it is uncanny how quickly you can learn to judge your distance walked by how long you've been walking. Most of the time I seem to average out just over or just under 2 mph. I also like one that lights up when you press the button at 4 am, so you can decide whether to wait until daylight or just get up and pee.

Seeker
04-07-2009, 20:56
these are popular with soldiers.

http://www.skywatches.com.sg/casio_alarm_chronograph_watches/image11.htm

you can get one for under $15, and it's pretty bombproof... has a light, an alarm, and is water resistant enough. they took a lot of abuse, but i usually ended up losing them.