PDA

View Full Version : Trekking Poles

medicjimr
04-05-2009, 15:49
I am looking at Campmor Voyager Trekking Poles Made by Leki they are push button adjustment and only 2 sections anyone ever use these exact poles or something similar any advantage to push button and 2 section compared to 3 section poles thanks for help

Elder
04-05-2009, 22:23
The push button type are good and stout (They Are Leki's). Long experience shows the less expensive push button design does not hold out forever. The little holes elongate after ? impacts.
While warranteed etc., I would suggest look at the Trail Series (leki.com) for the value priced series. Better grips too.
Not state of the art, but good for many many miles.

medicjimr
04-05-2009, 23:56
Thanks elder I am looking at a higher end Leki and Black Diamond with the lever locking mechanism. I did',nt think the other ones I was questioning would adjust well being 2 sections. Thanks again

Jayboflavin04
04-06-2009, 11:07
I bought the BD trails. They collapse small and are quite because of the flick locks. Ok price also around 90 dollars. I like the small baskets also.

Turtlehiker
04-07-2009, 14:43
I've had my Leki poles for 10+ years and love them. I've installed new adjusters once. I have replaced 2 sections after breaking them doing stupid things, both replacements were covered under the lifetime warranty. Both times I called to order sections figuring it was my fault they broke and the CS person said no we will send some out NC. I didn't even pay shipping I don't think.

That is great Customer Service well worth the extra bucks for the Leki poles. Check the warranty on the trail series.

OutdoorsMan
04-07-2009, 23:24
I bought the BD trails. They collapse small and are quite because of the flick locks. Ok price also around 90 dollars. I like the small baskets also.

Our local Wal-Mart has flicklocks that appear to be nearly identical to my BD flicklocks that I paid $64 for ($80 but used my REI 20% discount). The grip is different and I think better than on my flicklocks. Wal-Marts price is about $25/pair. Many in our Scout Troop have bought theirs at Wal-Mart. Check them out. Am I missing something regarding quality? I can't remember the brand name they are selling under.

Elder
04-07-2009, 23:33
The Wally flicklocks are as fragile as the Swiss Gear.
Says right on the labeling WILL NOT SUPPORT BODY WEIGHT.

Anything can be made cheaper. You get what you pay for.
Ask ANY Leki user about the price.:sun

medicjimr
04-07-2009, 23:42
well I am really leading towards Leki after I saw there videos on how you can tear them upart and maintain. I am looking at the summits at campmor $89 It depends if anti shock feature can be turned off. I see it has 3 settings unsure if you can turn off all together.

Turtlehiker
04-08-2009, 08:59
Yeah everyone that I know that has the shocks doesn't really like that feature. If your going to keep it turned off it just adds weight. They say the springy feeling when they have to put weight on them is not secure feeling.
I think the lightest poles you can find are the best. IMHO.

Elder
04-08-2009, 09:32
Shocks are designed to take SHOCK off your body. They reduce the repeated impacts.
The earlier style springy shocks are good, but the bounce bothers some.
New Leki soft antishocks are hardly noticable, add very little weight, but
absorb a huge amount.
Remember; shocks good, B.S. Bad.:cool:

medicjimr
04-08-2009, 09:58
Thanks Elder Ordered them 2 minutes ago

Jayboflavin04
04-08-2009, 10:02
I talked my buddy into buying trekkin poles. This was his very first backpacking experience. He bought a cheaper set....I think mountain smiths....He loved using trekkin poles. He said at the end of our trip his first investment was going to be a "nice" set. His had a malfunction! The retainers for the wrist strap came out and got lost.

flemdawg1
04-08-2009, 11:11
Our local Wal-Mart has flicklocks that appear to be nearly identical to my BD flicklocks that I paid $64 for ($80 but used my REI 20% discount). The grip is different and I think better than on my flicklocks. Wal-Marts price is about $25/pair. Many in our Scout Troop have bought theirs at Wal-Mart. Check them out. Am I missing something regarding quality? I can't remember the brand name they are selling under.

I own a pair of these, I like them alot. They're made by Outdoor Products, the same folks who make the 3-pack of waterproof sacks.

The Wally flicklocks are as fragile as the Swiss Gear.
Says right on the labeling WILL NOT SUPPORT BODY WEIGHT.

Anything can be made cheaper. You get what you pay for.
Ask ANY Leki user about the price.:sun

Well, they aren't meant for pole vaulting. Are you talking from personal experience w/ this set as to their quality, or just hopping aboard the "hate Wal-mart" bandwagon?

medicjimr
04-08-2009, 14:34
I don't think was a Walmart bash I think it was more describing quality. I am not a hater nor am I a fan of walmart just don't have many choices here around home to shop. I just don't think there labor practices are good and allot of there products are coming from china just read the tags.

Summit
04-09-2009, 22:06
Just returned from a five day hike with my new Black Diamond Trails . . . love them! The 'flick-lock' mechanisms are great. Got six inches of snow and two very cold days with night temps in the teens. I really appreciated being able to adjust my poles with gloves on . . . something very difficult to do with the twist locking kind, like my older Komperdells. The BD Trails feel very solid and sturdy. For $79 I don't think you'll find a better bang for your bucks.

medicjimr
04-10-2009, 00:42
Well I was looking real hard at the Black Diamond trails but saw a video on how you can tear down the Leki's for maintenance and the lifetime warranty compared to 1 year offered by BD sold me to go Leki.