PDA

View Full Version : sleeping bag liners

gtg
04-05-2009, 21:26
Hi there, Any one have any experience using any sleeping bag liners?

Thinking mainly for in my bivy when its to warm for the sleeping bag but also to help keep the inside of the bag clean. What fabric has any one used and which manufacture would any one recommend?

thanks

Dogwood
04-06-2009, 02:09
The Cocoon silk liners will help protect a sleeping bag, add about 5-10 * of warmth, are lite wt, and compress to a small size. A decent way to extend the temp range of a sleeping bag by a few degrees rather than buying a whole new different sleeping bag with a lower temp rating. They also come in other fabrics which might suit your need when employing with a bivy on hot nights.

fiddlehead
04-06-2009, 07:22
I use a micro-fleece (100 weight) bag liner that i had made to fit my bag exactly (just use your bag as a pattern to cut the two pieces and a half zip works)

I use it when it's too cold for my old 20 deg bag that has been used HARD (4 thru's plus) and i always keep stored stuffed in it's stuff sack (room is limited) so that it isn't a 20 deg bag anymore. (it's also 14 years old)

Anyway, the micro-fleece liner adds about 10 deg of warmth IMO. Weighs a lb.

I used to sell them but i don't have any left.

Lyle
04-06-2009, 10:02
I second the Cocoon Silk liners. About 4 oz. and very compact. I just leave mine in the sleeping bag and stuff it. Don't really expect 10* added warmth tho. My experience has been more like 3* or 4* max.

Does keep the sleeping bag much cleaner, worth it to protect an expensive bag. Some fiddle factor getting into and out of the bag when using one, but nothing that can't be minimized with a bit of practice.

Valentine
04-06-2009, 17:36
Micro fleece! Second.
It adds more than 10 deg.

medicjimr
04-06-2009, 17:49
I have a texas sport fleece bag I use as a summer bag temps above 90 I am going to try it in my BA since it's a cold sleeper

canoehead
04-06-2009, 18:33
Go with the silk I've used it Ecuador at many elevations above 10.000 feet and when I left the mountains I was in the jungle paddling in the rain forest. I also recommend it to all my students. Most of the gear in your pack should be able to have multi functions.

Tinker
04-06-2009, 23:12
They wrap around your feet, you drag them out of the bag when you get up, sometimes it feels like you're getting into a sleeping bag twice (get into the liner, get the liner and you into the bag). I used one once, to add warmth. Now, if I really need one, I'll take a vapor barrier liner. Otherwise, I just wear clothing inside the bag to extend the temp. rating. That way, I can keep some of the warmth with me when I get up to pee in the night, and I can wear my "liner" (extra clothing) around camp, too.

redick1955
09-23-2009, 20:32
I have used a silk liner in my sleeping bag and it really helped when temperatures were in the teens last year.

Egads
09-23-2009, 21:01
Micro fleece! Second.
It adds more than 10 deg.

at the cost of nearly 2 lbs; you're better off with a lower temp rated bag

TNjed
09-23-2009, 21:22
just wear all your clothes and put hot water bottles on your thigh and at your feet, make sure you wear thick socks and a good hat

dmax
09-23-2009, 22:13
I just bought my son a sea to summit thermolite reactor for his hike starting this weekend. It claims to add upto 15* of warmth. So this one might work in the heat of summer pretty good too. It also weighs in at under a pound.

buz
09-24-2009, 09:13
I wanted to use a liner, bought a nice silk one, always ended up in knots somewhere around 3am, lol. I am flippy floppy side sleeper and the simply don't work for me. I bought silk jammies instead. I can use a liner when it is hot on top of the bag, just not in one. My .02 is to try one you can take back, it may not be compatible with your sleeping style.

makoboy
09-24-2009, 09:55
I use a sea to summit cool-max liner. Minimal weight, adds a little warmth, keeps my bag clean, and i like the feel of it alot better than the nylon.

LaurieAnn
09-24-2009, 10:31
I'm thinking about getting a liner for my bag. I had one from MEC awhile back and I found that I got really tangled in it. Any suggestions, aside from silk jammies, to prevent that? That said, the jammies sound pretty awesome.

Blissful
09-24-2009, 13:39
Loved my silk liner. Used it all the way then had to replace it as it was worn out.

Connie
09-24-2009, 15:54
I know people who use their "first layer" MTR shirt and longjohns as their "sleeping bag liner" with success.

Their "first layer" has the dual-use, if needed, worn as additional layers while hiking.

I do not wear longjohns bottoms, until 20-degrees F.

I also "hostel" so I like a silk liner.

I just purchased a REI Silk Jersey Liner to experiment with the Adventure Medical Thermo-Lite 2.0 Bivvy. I am thinking the jersey weave will both trap-air or ventilate, depending on whether the bivvy is partially open or closed up.

I know I can use a silk mummy liner, for the hostels.

I suspect the combination may become my new hip pack or waistpack sleep system.

I like to have a minimalist essentials version of the 10 essentials e.g. keychain compass, 1st aid, and like that, for reasonably short forays away from the car in unfamiliar territory because it is surprising how often I run across people ill-prepared for wilderness and I can offer help, if I do not need it myself.

Franco
09-24-2009, 22:37
My "solution" to the getting tangled up bit was to use a quilt (JRB No Sniveller) or the Ultralite opened up as a quilt. When I do it up I put up with the getting tangled bit..
( I toss and turn less under the quilt)
The suggestion of silk pyjamas is a good one ( double use) but I have yet to find one that is either light enough or I would want to be found dead wearing...
and all I can sew is a button. ( I have done visible mending on socks)
When cold I do use merino bottoms/top and coolmax socks (or wool) so I guess I could leave the liner at home . But I still like being able to pull it over my head for that quick first 10 min warm up.
Franco
REI silk. I forgot to check that when I was over there. Too busy playing with other gear

Tinker
09-25-2009, 00:29
I forgot to mention above that I now use a pair of non zip off trail pants to sleep in in all but the warmest weather. They are nearly as warm as poly long johns, keep the bag clean (I don't wear them during the day), and they don't smell as bad as my shorts if I get to a road and need to hitch.
Two words for liners, if I haven't been outspoken enough -
DEAD
WEIGHT
Not nearly as judgemental - put in a nicer tone:
Single
Purpose
If you MUST have silk, make it silk pajamas.
If you MUST have fleece, make it fleece tops and bottoms, micro or not.
If you MUST have Coolmax, you might be out of luck :).
Since I don't have to carry your pack, this is just a friendly reminder.
:).

WalkingStick75
09-25-2009, 17:37
Fleece is great you may be at the same weight of a warmer bag but it may be cheaper. I have always used the rule if you do not go to bed wearing all your clothing except your trail clothing which may be wet, you are carrying too much.

I have also used my rain jacket over the top of my bag on those unexpected cool nights and has made a difference.

Egads
09-25-2009, 18:00
I have always used the rule if you do not go to bed wearing all your clothing except your trail clothing which may be wet, you are carrying too much.

One of the first lessons by natural consequences I learned was to be prepared for at least 10* F below the forecast. It's a lesson you learn well after only one class.

buz
09-26-2009, 10:27
Good one Egads, how true. Always better to be hot at night, easy to get cooler, very difficult the other way around. And nooooooooooo fun at all.

mudhead
09-26-2009, 10:38
If you MUST have Coolmax, you might be out of luck :).

Last I knew, Land's End Thermaskin long johns were Coolmax polyester.

Last Fall they had medium tall pants!!!!! not sure about this year.

(An aside. Their silk base layers do not hold up as well, but they are yummy feeling.)