PDA

View Full Version : Harpers Ferry to Front Royal

RITBlake
04-05-2009, 23:23
Thinking about heading through this section over the long weekend.

Can someone refresh my memory on this....highlights? lowlights?

A-Train
04-05-2009, 23:38
Thinking about heading through this section over the long weekend.

Can someone refresh my memory on this....highlights? lowlights?

This was prob one of the least memorable sections of my hike. Really nothing of interest that I recall, but it was raining a lot. Didn't visit Bears Den or the other place, but heard they're nice. RollerCoaster.

RITBlake
04-06-2009, 09:06
This was prob one of the least memorable sections of my hike. Really nothing of interest that I recall, but it was raining a lot. Didn't visit Bears Den or the other place, but heard they're nice. RollerCoaster.

That's how I figured it too, I thought maybe I was just forgetting something. Beats being inside though.

ewj1976
04-06-2009, 09:19
I live in Harpers Ferry, and apart from the obvious scenery there, you can access the Blue Ridge Center for Environmental Stewardship (google it -- it's off of Loudoun Heights and accessible to the left of the trail a little ways before reaching Keys Gap). It's an interesting, little known area that offers roughly 9 miles of easy walk-in-the-woods hiking. There are informational kiosks there, many streams, workshops, birding tours, etc.; I take the pups up there often.

Now right before Snickers Gap, about 2 miles from VA 7, you have Raven Rocks (Crescent Rocks to some), and it offers a really nice view.

I also enjoy the area south of Ashby's Gap. The walk around Sky Meadows State Park is beautiful. It's been awhile since I've hiked the AT beyond that point, as I tend to drive down to GWNF or SNP.

Oh, I might add, if you have the time before you leave, the hike on the AT into MD a few miles is nice. Heading up to Weverton Cliffs is a good idea. The view is amazing.

Kirby
04-06-2009, 09:22
Rollercoaster.