PDA

View Full Version : Harpers Creek Shelter

Former Admin
10-19-2002, 12:14
Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Harpers Creek Shelter

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Kerosene
10-20-2002, 18:54
The only shelter officially within Three Ridges Wilderness Area (although Maupin Field is just outside), the Harpers Creek Shelter is just south of Three Ridges just above Harpers Creek (surprise, surprise). This is a beautiful little setting. The creek is fast, full of rocks and lovely. The shelter faces south but is surrounded by tall trees, so there is probably little direct sunlight. Shelter design is similar to the Maupin, Priest and Seeley-Woodworth shelters. I'll post a picture later. The privy is up the hill away from the creek. Water comes from the creek itself, and it may be possible to take a dip in one of the pools further downstream (it was only 45 degrees when we were passing through). The shelter is situated a few miles north of the Tye River and is an easy walk. The real climb of Three Ridges starts just after the shelter for NOBOs.

We ate an early dinner here, tried to dry a few socks in a patch of mid-afternoon sun, and then headed down to Tye River to camp. The Tye River campsites are right next to a rushing river as well as a rather loud road, but right at the base of The Priest.

jlb2012
07-10-2004, 08:38
I was at Harper's Creek over the July 4th weekend hammocking across the creek from the shelter. A nice shelter and campsite area. Lots of people mentioned the Dutch Haus B&B favorably in the register - sounds like the people there are quite hiker friendly. I got a big laugh out of the placement of a blue blaze on the underside of the lid to the seat in the privy - this shelter is just .8 north of a popular blue blaze bypass trail, the Mau-Har trail.

fivefour
02-03-2006, 09:33
This is a very nice area. A great view of the creek from the shelter. There is also a waterfall about .5 miles up stream from the shelter. It aproximately 40-50 feet high at least. It is a very impressive waterfall.

Route Step
10-07-2007, 14:28
A pretty site for a shelter. The region is in the middle of a drought, so there was no flowing water in the stream, just some clear pools. Only one mouse that chewed a hole in my pack and one owl. A few good tent sites also.

rafe
10-07-2007, 23:34
Very nice site, but the shelter's a bit run down. Had the place to myself (Sept. 8 '07). Stream wasn't flowing visibly, but there was still some clean, clear water to be had.

River Runner
12-11-2007, 01:01
Stopped by this shelter this weekend (12/8) while day-hiking from Tye River to Reed's Gap, having lunch at the shelter.

This is the first shelter I've seen with a built-in checker board (laborously carved by someone). Obviously the same person has been to Maupin Shelter, which had a slightly larger checkerboard carving.

The privy was very nice and clean, and the vent pipe seems to really work to keep odors down (of course 45 degree weather helps with that too. ;) )

It looked like part of the roof sheeting had been replaced not too long ago, and I thought the shelter was in good shape.

Sadly though, there was no log to sign.

3rd_Wind
09-11-2012, 14:12
Harper's Creek shelter trail log was full as of last weekend. I apologize for not hiking in with a replacement!

RED-DOG
09-11-2012, 14:18
I have never stayed at Harpers creek, but it looked like a nice place to stay. i have always hiked on to Maupin Field that's an awesome shelter.

cmns
09-25-2012, 22:52
Stayed the night of 9/22/12 at Harpers Creek, such a nice night we ditched the shelter for the ample campsites on the old road bed just across the creek. Still no shelter log, completely skipped my mind to bring a replacement. Stream had solid flow, good enough for pump/steripen/just about anything else.

Zipper
09-26-2012, 00:18
This is a favorite shelter of mine in VA. I didn't stay there on my thru hike, but had a nice lunch by the stream. When I came back for a week of hiking around the Three Ridges, I loved it so much that I took a planned zero day there! Spent a bunch of time hanging out at the creek watching newts and just being happy in the woods. There is a ton of tent camping available all around the creek - really a beautiful place. No cell service, just FYI - maybe if you go up the hill a little.