PDA

View Full Version : Ground camping in an HH

Guardianva
06-02-2004, 13:26
I'm heading out at the end of the month to do a 50 mile canoe/raft trek in SE Virginia with the Boy Scouts. I'm taking my HH Expedition ASYM and checked with the coordinator about setting it up. Most nights will not be a problem, but one night we are in a open field. I will need to plan on setting the HH up as a ground dweller. What is the best way to do that? I don't have hiking poles, and won't need them on this trek. I've seen posted the two stake method, but details are not included. How high should the stakes be? What is the best way to tie everything off? Will I need a ground cloth to protect the HH from being punctured?

With prior planning I can build, test and make any stakes/lines/cover part of my gear. So if any of you hangers who have 'gone to ground' can pass along a tip or two (pictures very much welcomed) I'd appreciate it.:-?

Guardianva

PS. Firefly, thanks for the gouge (advise) about hanging in a state park. One night is in such a place and I'll be sure to follow your lead and be proactive in showing how the tree hugger straps avoid damaging the bark.

SGT Rock
06-02-2004, 13:37
The best method I have seen can be done with any old pole or stick that is about 2-1/2' long give or take. You need six stakes. I don't have pictures, but hopefully this discription helps.

1. The Tree hugger straps should be moved to the very end of your hammock rope. Wrap the rope near the fly tie on point around the tip of the stick using a clove hitch.

2. Put the very end of the tree hugger over the top of the tip of the stick so that the clove hitch keeps it from sliding down. You should now have a triangle formed with the rope $ tree hugger combined. Used two stakes to hold the base of the triangle down. The stick should lean out from the hammock.

3. Repeat on the back side. Once you have the triangles set, then you can tilt the stick to tighten the rig and increase or decrease tension.

4. Stake out the sides of the fly. Pin them through the plastic loops directly to the ground. Then use the elastic side ties to attach the sides of the hammock to these stakes.

When I do this, I usually climb in feet first. I hope this made sense.

Guardianva
06-02-2004, 15:43
Thanks Sgt. Rock. I followed all and will give it a try in my back yard. I have a few wooden poles (broom handle type) that I can experiment with.

What about protecting the bottom of the hammock. I read a previous thread about using a thermal blanket, but the author was advised to use trash bags. I was thinking about the same (easy to pack and have a utility when no longer needed). I have an old Vietnam era poncho that can be put to use. All my other tarps are way too large to be practical to lug in a canoe.

Why go in feet first? My guess it is easier to close and open the velcro with your hands.

Guardianva

SGT Rock
06-02-2004, 15:50
I have a piece of mylar space blanket trimmed down to a little larger than my sleeping pad for a emergency ground cloth and it can still serve double duty as an emergency blanket. It weighs about 27 grams - so less than an ounce.

I get in head first because I don't want to high-crawl all the way in.