PDA

View Full Version : Local Dilemma

Roughin' It
04-06-2009, 12:55
So I am sure most of you buy at least some of your gear online, and maybe some at your local outfitter store as well.
I am in the starting phases of planning a thru hike in 2010, and i am slowly building my arsenal of equipment, and right now I am focusing on clothing. My dilemma is whether to buy local or on the internet. On the internet, I can find jackets that MSRP at $200, for $50, and base layers for $8 that MSRP at $35. It is almost a guarantee that anything you find at your local store, you can find on the internet for a bargain. And for a young guy like me who doesn't make $50k a year, it's tempting to always find the lowest deal.
So I guess my dilemma is more of a moral dilemma, because I just kind of wonder how all of this online shopping affects our local outfitters, especially in times like this when people aren't exactly spending all of their money on luxries. Anyway, just give me your $0.02 worth of what you think. Thanks!

Mr. Parkay
04-06-2009, 13:04
I'd say just go with the best deals for now. With the money you save you'll have more cash to spend at restaurants and outfitters along the trail.

Jaybird
04-06-2009, 13:04
So I am sure most of you buy at least some of your gear online, and maybe some at your local outfitter store as well.
I am in the starting phases of planning a thru hike in 2010, and i am slowly building my arsenal of equipment, and right now I am focusing on clothing. My dilemma is whether to buy local or on the internet. ETCETCETCETCETC...........Thanks!

here's HOW i've done it....go to the local storefront try on the clothes, examine the clothes, etc...(fit, looks, etc)...then buy ON-LINE!
Save the money!:D

If you feel bad abt it....throw a few bucks to your local outfitter...buy a DATA BOOK or something.

see U out there...May 1-14 NOBO Harpers Ferry to Swatara Gap,PA (w/ "MODEL-T")

Lone Wolf
04-06-2009, 13:07
i have 2 outfitters in town. i have absoluely no problem buying stuff online from www.campmor.com

Blissful
04-06-2009, 13:48
I've done both.

berninbush
04-06-2009, 14:01
Look at the big picture. If your local outfitter is charging four times the actual worth of the items, they are not pricing themselves correctly to compete in a free market. Sure, you can expect some mark-up for having a brick and mortar store with sales associates, but not THAT much!! The only way they will get the message to re-examine their pricing is if they realize they're losing customers to the online marketplace.

Items in a store are almost always going to cost more than what you can get online because their overhead costs are higher. But on the other hand you're getting convenience (if you're already on the store to try it on or ask a clerk about it, you can purchase on the spot) and speed (getting it immediately instead of having to wait a few days for the mail). Stores will continue to rely on people being willing to pay extra for these factors in order to make their profits. But to be competitive, they can't charge TOO much more. You do them a favor when you come right out and tell them they're charging too much.

The only "moral dilemma" I see is if you're walking in there and spending hours of their clerks' time, and creating shop wear on their display items by trying everything on, and then walking out without buying anything. Stores expect a certain amount of that, and factor it into their costs, but you can try to keep it "reasonable" and reward them with your business when they have something approaching a competitive price.

berninbush
04-06-2009, 14:03
And I will add... there's not much net difference to your local economy whether you spend $200 at the outfitters or spend $50 online and $150 at other restaurants and stores in your hometown. The big difference is that if you do the latter, you're rewarding businesses that are actually selling products you want at an affordable price.

saimyoji
04-06-2009, 14:24
Buy where you feel comfortable buying. Don't let internet hikers tell you what to do; don't be bullied by people telling you you're an ******* if you don't support your local outfitters.

Cabin Fever
04-06-2009, 15:15
From what I have read on other threads, it seems the going consensus is that you are not paying extra at local outfitters for the gear to necessarily just cover their costs of a brick and mortar facility, utilities, etc. You are paying for personal customer service such as pack fitting, boot fitting, beta, etc.

Maddog
04-06-2009, 15:22
online, bro!

berninbush
04-06-2009, 15:26
Yeah, I would say that if you let a clerk spend half an hour finding the perfect fit of pack for you, and then walk out without buying anything and go buy the pack online, that's pretty inconsiderate and ethically wrong. It will probably lead to your local retailer coming up with some kind of policy to put a stop to that, too.

On the other hand, if you go into a store, browse the merchandise, spot some things you like but decide that you can find them cheaper elsewhere, and maybe make one or two small purchases... then go and do some shopping online... that's just being a savvy customer.

tenbeer
04-06-2009, 15:42
I completely disagree with Mr. Parkay and especially Jaybird. The fact that you brought this question up shows that you have character and respect for your local retailer. My guess is neither works in the retail industry or works on a commision basis. Do your homework online, go to your local retailer and rely on their customer service and expertise. Then give your local guy the opportunity to earn your business. Show the pricing of your online retailer and give them the opportunity to match or come close to your online prices. I do this all the time locally in Blacksburg Va., and have never had to buy online. I have done it with canoes, fishing gear, as well as backpacking gear.

Good luck with your purchases and your 2010 thru.

tenbeer
04-06-2009, 15:44
I see your from Lynchburg, try Outdoor Trails, great retailer. I've used the one in Troutville

Feral Bill
04-06-2009, 20:44
I doubt you willl find the price difference is nearly that much on most items. You willl likely find it only on clearance and discontinued items. Lots of on line stores I have looked at charge full retail or more.

Tinker
04-06-2009, 23:30
At retail, the prices for clothing are usually keystone - in other words, twice the price the retailer paid for them. The profits are used for paying rent, utilities, licensing, insurance (quite a chunk when you have a business that sells outdoor equipment with which people can hurt themselves or others - watercraft and bicycles, especially). The most obvious cost of running a box store (as opposed to an internet business) is that you have to pay more labor. Salespeople act as guards against theft as well as avenues of information, and, generally, don't get paid very well for having to deal with the crush of folks asking questions, offering advice, and complaining about what you don't have or should have in their size or color choice. It takes the patience of a saint sometimes to nod and say "I understand" for the forty millionth time - and you really DO understand, but you can't exange what is for what every self absorbed individual would wish it to be in his/her perfect world, and................................
Did I say I work in retail? :D

Roughin' It
04-07-2009, 01:50
thanks everyone for your input. I actually went to Outoor Trails today like tenbeer said, and it turns out they were having a 40% off sale on some sweet items, so i bought them. But still I tried on some stuff that I will definitely be buying online.
When i referred to getting something for $50 that is usually $200 or whatever, I was mostly referring to websites like steepandcheap, or backcountry outlet that has killer sales. Also i frequent geartrade.com to get some slightly used equipment at steep discounts. My local retailer doesn't jack up prices THAT much...

gregugadawg
04-07-2009, 08:32
Why not do what is both morally and ethically right and also right for your wallet? After you decide what you want at the store, go home and print off the site where you found the item priced cheaper and then go to the store and ask them to match the price. Tell them you really appreciate the service they give and you want to do business with them but you don't want to pay more than you need to either. At that point then it is up to them to decide do we want to make a little bit of margin or do we want to lose the sale all together. Most places will at least meet you halfway.

dloome
04-08-2009, 00:34
Remember there's crappy local businesses too: I'd rather give my money to a friendly, well run, and reputable online dealer than a shady local outfitter any day.

What I usually do is ask around at local outfitters and see if they can price match on a particular piece of gear. Often one can, or can give me a price that's worth it considering I won't pay shipping, etc.

slowandlow
04-08-2009, 11:23
Buy items where fit is critical (pack, shoes,clothing) at your local outfitter. Buy items where fit isn't critical (tent, etc.) online. That way you don't waste money sending things back that don't fit and you support your local outfitter too.

Reid
04-08-2009, 11:40
You have to remember though that there is a large amount of people who don't care about prices and in fact, go looking for the highest priced item because they think that they will get more utility out of it. The reason costs are high at the outfitters is because of the consumer, not becuase of the retailer (most of the time) I have found more snobs in an outfitter than at the country club grill, and guess what.......I find stuff just as good on the goodwill rack for 5 bucks because it's not "this years" stuff and they've got to have the "look" so out goes the practically new stuff. I see people all the time that wear the clothes and sport the right gear but it's just a facade most of the time.

skinewmexico
04-08-2009, 12:10
If you don't support your local outfitter in some way, when you need that single, cheap item in a hurry, the outfitter will be gone.

Wags
04-08-2009, 17:24
i buy my big 4 at an outfitter. rest of my stuff online or other stores

Reid
04-08-2009, 18:00
If you don't support your local outfitter in some way, when you need that single, cheap item in a hurry, the outfitter will be gone.

good point

Skyline
04-08-2009, 18:32
Whatever one decides, one should make sure he or she is comparing apples to apples.

Price is only one component of a sale. There is quality, warranty service, sales assistance, and knowledgeable staff. Make sure the item you are comparing online is the same item for sale in a brick-and-mortar store. If either retailer is selling a closeout or "slightly" damaged, ascertain exactly why.

I would feel guilty using more than five minutes of a small town outfitter's time and expertise to learn the finer points about particular gear, have it fitted, set-up, etc. and then go somewhere else to purchase it a little cheaper. I would not expect that small outfitter to exactly match the price of an online source but to come within 15% of it. Their assistance is worth that. Also, one should figure in the cost of shipping an item to you by an out-of-town source. The local outfitter has already figured in the cost of getting the goods to his store in the retail price.

In the current economy, many businesses will drop their prices a bit if asked. Even Macy's, I've heard. But it's not right to make them grovel for your business by dropping prices to the break-even point or below. They won't be around the next time you need them if they do that very often.