PDA

View Full Version : Underquilt - First use

Ender
04-06-2009, 13:14
So, I recently bought a JRB Nest and got to use it for the first time this weekend. The temps got to 33-35* at night, and with my thermals on, I was perfectly comfortable in the body, but my feet were a little chilly. Still, warmer socks would have fixed that.

Really though, wow what a difference in comfort compared to using a pad inside the hammock. It was just mountains more comfortable. Using a pad inside the hammock feels like sleeping on a bed of nails compared to using the underquilt. I have to say I was not expecting such a great difference in comfort. I was finally able to toss and turn without falling off of what was keeping me warm. I could curl up into a ball and my knees were still warm. Really, just fantastic.

Anyway, that is all. Nothing else really to report, other than yet again on my first trip out for the year I once again forgot to bring sunscreen and I'm burnt to a crisp. Maybe next year I'll remember to bring some... maybe.

Cannibal
04-06-2009, 13:16
Welcome to the slippery slope of underquilts! Leaps and bounds more comfortable than a pad, but it's kind of like flying first class; it ruins coach forever.

JaxHiker
04-06-2009, 14:54
I need to look into making a UQ this year. I need to find a good insulation though. I don't think I'm ready to spend the jack on down and my friends have become displeased with Climashield and how it seems to rapidly lose its loft. Glad to hear it's working out for you. We're supposed it have lows in the 30s again this week so I'm hoping to get in one final cold weather run.

Valentine
04-06-2009, 17:34
Make sure you have it adjusted just right which means closing the ends of the UnderQuilt so heat is not escaping. Of course your comment about the socks makes sense.

Ender
04-06-2009, 18:58
Make sure you have it adjusted just right which means closing the ends of the UnderQuilt so heat is not escaping. Of course your comment about the socks makes sense.

Yeah, I did that, but I'm not sure if I tightened it enough. And I think next time I may pull it a little farther towards my feet so there's a little more coverage down there... I had enough coverage by my head anyway, so I think that will help a little.

Still... even with the slightly chilly feet (in temps lower than the underquilt was really meant for, so I can't really blame the UQ at all), it was the most comfortable night I've ever had in a hammock.

kayak karl
04-06-2009, 19:51
now you're just going to have to get the Mt Washington UQ, then a No Sniveler, then a Warbonnet Superfly, then maybe a bridge hammock, an assortment of tarps (can't have too many tarps) and then you'll buy a sewing machine :-? IT WILL NEVER END:eek:

peter_pan
04-06-2009, 19:51
Ender,

Glad that you are happy in your luxurious UQ style....

All total you should have about 16 inches of gather on the foot end , eight in each cuff.... Key is to use the center pull so that you have a three point suspension on the foot end...It needs to be fairly snug too.

Pan

Egads
04-06-2009, 20:10
So, I recently bought a JRB Nest and got to use it for the first time this weekend. The temps got to 33-35* at night, and with my thermals on, I was perfectly comfortable in the body, but my feet were a little chilly. Still, warmer socks would have fixed that.

Congrats of discovering a sleep system that you enjoy.

Down Booties and cold feet problem solved.

http://www.sierradesigns.com/mens.display.php?id=1054

http://www.sierradesigns.com/mens.display.php?id=1053

MedicineMan
04-06-2009, 23:00
the pinnacle in UQ...the Jacks have given us a mighty gift in it.
on cold feet look at nunatak gear, they have down booties that, like
the Mt Washington, are above the crowd-you'll pay dearly too.
I carry exped down socks but sadly they aren't around anymore, but at
the weight --which is almost nothing-- no excuse ever for cold feet.

freedompirate01
04-07-2009, 10:33
I only tried my gear twice so far but i've gotten cold legs using my snug fit to high 30s using a 15degree WM bag.

My first attempt at a solution will be the JRB sleeves which can also be used as leg/foot warmers.

HikerRanky
04-07-2009, 10:56
I only tried my gear twice so far but i've gotten cold legs using my snug fit to high 30s using a 15degree WM bag.

My first attempt at a solution will be the JRB sleeves which can also be used as leg/foot warmers.

I have a SnugFit myself, and have been very warm down into the low 30s with it. I was using an REI 25 degree bag unzipped as a topquilt. Did you have the SnugFit pulled very tight againzst the bottom of your hammock? If so, you may have been compressing the down inside of the UQ.

Of course, YMMV....

Randy

Hooch
04-07-2009, 11:01
I'm also a Speer SnugFit user and love it! As a matter of fact, I slept in a prototype from Ed before they wre for sale and while they were still in the final stages of development. I use a Speer Top Quilt III with 2oz of overstuff with a knit cap, lightweight base layer and my regular clothes down to the low 20's. I have supplemented that with my down jacket pulled over me like a quilt down to the low teens. As said before, YMMV, but IMO, you can't go wrong with a SnugFit.